HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5001  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 9:52 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
Going to Council next week, from Edmonton.ca











     
     
  #5002  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:25 PM
feepa's Avatar
feepa feepa is offline
Change is good
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 8,566
I'm not in love with the colour scheme.

I'm sure others won't be happy with the punched windows. Could be a lot worse though. Not bad for a somewhat suburban location. I say somewhat because its kinda the border land between a mature neighbourhood and Post WWII suburbs.
     
     
  #5003  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:29 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
At least the next-door neighbours will be quiet and well-behaved. Something I can't say for my own... Hope the residents of the seniors complex also have a sense of irony... Design wise? Meh. Not great, not terrible. Granted the location, market, it doesn't need to be. Reminds me mostly of the MacEwan Residence and Tru North buildings...
     
     
  #5004  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:30 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
Punched windows are fine, but the design is bulky and not well refined.

Reminds me of Signature.
     
     
  #5005  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:39 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Area is full of older residents who'll need alternatives as they age, few options in the area now and the options that do exist aren't good. We really struggled to find a suitable place for the inlaws and St Albert was really the only option.
     
     
  #5006  
Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 11:25 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I'm not in love with the colour scheme.

I'm sure others won't be happy with the punched windows. Could be a lot worse though. Not bad for a somewhat suburban location. I say somewhat because its kinda the border land between a mature neighbourhood and Post WWII suburbs.

Bingo.

Red and more punched window....yawn.
     
     
  #5007  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 12:54 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Updated Milner Library renders and floorplans:
http://www.epl.ca/about-the-stanley-a-milner-library-revitalization/

And I thought the last rendering was bad.

I looked at this for 10 min.

I tried to find anything that was better than the last conceptual plans. Nope.

Heeyyy Batter Batter Batter...Swing

https://youtu.be/X7XleD971yo
     
     
  #5008  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:31 AM
kcantor kcantor is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
And I thought the last rendering was bad.

I looked at this for 10 min.

I tried to find anything that was better than the last conceptual plans. Nope.

Heeyyy Batter Batter Batter...Swing

https://youtu.be/X7XleD971yo
i think forest garden is one of those projects that might well turn out quite a bit better than the amateurish renderings.

and i'm afraid the library will turn out quite a bit worse.

Last edited by kcantor; Oct 21, 2016 at 6:42 PM.
     
     
  #5009  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:52 AM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,009
I will be surprised if the Forest Heights tower gets built. Once again I will say, prove me wrong.

Library I like and I think it will be a great addition to the Arts District.
     
     
  #5010  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:09 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Delete.....

Last edited by Black Star; Oct 21, 2016 at 4:55 AM.
     
     
  #5011  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:16 AM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcantor View Post
i think forest garden is one of those projects that might well turn quite a bit better than the amateurish renderings.

and i'm afraid the library will turn out quite a bit worse.
I dunno KK.

You seem to have a je ne sais quoi for good taste.

Forest Garden....meh. Good on them for knocking down a blight.

Library...seems Helen Keller had a hand!
     
     
  #5012  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:28 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
I will be surprised if the Forest Heights tower gets built. Once again I will say, prove me wrong.

Library I like and I think it will be a great addition to the Arts District.
Curious your rationale for stating you don't think Forest Heights tower won't go ahead?

I doubt it will look great when done (it's a GMH after all), but I am impressed at how much community feedback was incorporated into the final design, including bringing the retail space to the street (previously it was contained inside).

Library - latest renders have left me very unimpressed. Maybe the materials will surprise me, but the south elevation - arguably the most important one - looks like a WWII-era bunker.
     
     
  #5013  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 4:38 PM
rapid_business's Avatar
rapid_business rapid_business is offline
Urban Advocate
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,889
The tower for Forest Garden is positioned to be condos with the sharing of the amenities of the assisted living low-rise component. Considering they only sold 4 units of their previous tower plans over the span of two years, I think they are going to have a tough slog with this one. The addition of amenities and services like Shepard's Care has modeled may be advantageous however. We will see, but I think it will be tough to make the case for the tower.
     
     
  #5014  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:19 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
Renderings were done in Sketchup, agreed will probably look better than shown.

There needs to be active use at grade on 101 Avenue. That's a lot of people with very little amenities.
     
     
  #5015  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 5:54 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ Any area can always use more amenities but the area already has a good number of restaurants, shops, services, religious institutions, community centre green space, coffee shops, liquor store, outdoors shop, flower shop, dentist, beauty parlour, Shoppers, plus right on the #1 crosstown route just off the top of my head

You made some pretty irresponsible and false comments about this area when the library thing was going on. Perhaps educate yourself about things you know nothing about before making statements like that

Hopefully the new 101ave streetscape helps pretty it up a bit though
     
     
  #5016  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:11 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
^Any area can always use more walkable amenities, especially when you're creating demand. Otherwise you'll have to take a car.

Library - have no idea what you're referring to. But I take it you didn't agree.
     
     
  #5017  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:18 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
^ you said "very few amenities"

That's wrong.

You previously said the area was unsustainable

That's wrong too

Don't try to gloss over your ineptness at recognizing anything beyond your little bubble.
     
     
  #5018  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 7:41 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
I don't honestly remember what I said. I'll trust that's what I said and we probably disagree. But it doesn't really seem like a discussion with the name calling.
     
     
  #5019  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 8:03 PM
Buildthemhigh Buildthemhigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 2
We will probably get sneak peek at new renderings of Ice district tower B in 1st week or so of November.
     
     
  #5020  
Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 9:05 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenSPACE View Post
Renderings were done in Sketchup
Which is just bald-faced rank amateurism. Were they also playing dueling banjos and picking their teeth?

Hack architects are scarier than Trump sometimes.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 8:35 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.