HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 11:56 PM

'mystery' location / from glass negative.

It appears semi-rural, yet the building behind the large tree looks quite impressive. (Exposition Park?)

There are all kinds of signs to read.

Meredith P. Snyder (politician?)
Mary Regan
Roy Hiram' (Fair?)
Ferris Hartman, to the left of Meredith P. Snyder
Alfred's
etc.

Ok, I'm going to deconstruct the photograph. You can skip this part if you like...I won't be offended.

Close-up of the signs in front of the fruit truck.

I'm especially intrigued by the broadsides with the dark circles..... (and the stand-alone sign on the stick)

Mary Regan! Mary Regan!

The signs behind the fruits and vegetables.

A closer look at the large building(s) in the background.

Lastly, here's the billboard at far right. (I believe I see the word 'health') -quite blurry, top right.

neg. at http://www.ebay.com/itm/Glass-plate-...0AAOSwxKtYBXd8
__

Stay tuned for another glass plate negative tomorrow.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 2:55 AM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Thanks for the information GW

but I could only find the White Company undertakers at 1137 S. Grand Ave. in numerous 1920s directories (see below)

The White Co. must have moved often or had several locations--not that it matters, since the houses could have been (if not still are) anywhere in large swaths of the city, but these are from the 23 and 24 CDs, respectively:

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 2:53 AM

I didn't see that address. Thanks for pointing it out GW.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:48 AM

E.R., Snyder was a 3 time Mayor of L.A.. 1896-98, 1900-04 and 1919-21....

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:18 PM

Quote:
'mystery' location / from glass negative.
The signs behind the fruits and vegetables.

I have to inquire about the meaning of that sign?

WHAT STINGS MOST?
A WICKED WOMAN'S SLAP
OR A MAN'S

BARE FIST?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 4:45 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I have to inquire about the meaning of that sign?

WHAT STINGS MOST?
A WICKED WOMAN'S SLAP
OR A MAN'S

BARE FIST?

I believe this paper poster refers to a popular theatrical play at the Superba [?] Theater in 1919.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 5:45 PM

Whoa, I didn't see that sign Martin_Pal and CityBoyDoug. That's a bit cruel to print on a broadside.

I'm curious CBD, what makes you think it's from a play at the Superba? Did you see a poster of some kind?

518 S. Broadway [circa.1915]

Isn't this glass and iron marquee wonderful I had forgotten all about it. (looks like a soda fountain next door on the right)

At the bottom you can see the shadow of the google-mobile camera going by.....oh wait......

Is it the shadows of people(?), if so the one on the right has a perfectly round head.

Thanks for the information on Mayor Snyder Hollywood Graham.

below: Meredith P. ('Pinky') Snyder

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 6:47 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 6:12 PM

I just noticed this.

Is this a full-size open door leading out to the rickety top of the back porch?

detail

Why would that be there? It looks dangerous, especially for sleep-walkers. (kerplunk!)

I toyed with the contrast and saturation on this detail to try and read the word above the dark circle(s).

detail

It didn't help.
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 6:50 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 6:19 PM

Now let's flash-forward to Culver City in the 1950s.

Here's a lovely lady posing in front of the Thalberg Building just outside the east gate of MGM Studios.

eBay

The east gate in the 1950s.

pinterest

The Thalberg Building is directly behind and to the left of the photographer that took this photo.

If you turned right where the man is getting in his car you'd hit the commissary.
__

Today, the Thalberg Building is within the walls of the studio.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:02 PM

I don't post many of Julius Shulman's photosets of models, but this one has Lloyd Wright's name attached as architect. It's "Job 985: Theater Center - model, 1951".

Here's a close-up of the corner. Personally, I don't think this is one of Lloyd Wright's best designs. I like the basic structure, but all those fancy swirls look like the icing on a wedding cake to me.

Finally, an impression of how the building would look in situ (from long before AutoCAD and PhotoShop!).

All from Getty Research Institute

There's a note with the set which says "For Huntington Hartford Enterprises. Wilshire Boulevard composite." With Wilshire Boulevard in mind, I recognized the semi-circular billboard as being the one nearly opposite the May Company, which means the trees on the right are by La Brea Park. In the picture above, the billboard shows an advert for the Douglas DC-6, while in the one below it's Mobilgas. You can also see the empty lots on both sides of the street.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

While looking for vintage pictures of this area, I came across plans for another building which was never built (AFAIK). This one, which was to house a branch of Bank of America, was designed by Paul R Williams. It's "Linde Building, Wilshire & Spaulding St., Los Angeles, 1957".

USC Digital Library

Here's a current view from roughly the same spot as the composite.

GSV

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Hoss, I couldn't help but notice the rather large Mary Mitchell property at the top of your baist map section.

1914 baist, Originally posted by HossC

Do we know anything about her?

__
I wonder if it's the affluent Mary Mitchell of the following:

--Los Angeles Times January 5, 1908 (via ProQuest via CSULB Library):

WOMAN BUYS INCOME PROPERTY ON HILLTOP.

[large but too faint picture]

Apartment House on South Hope Street.

which has been sold by Edward D. Silent and Frank J. Thomas for a consideration of $18,000. The buyer is Mrs. Mary Mitchell. The property consists of a lot 40x90 feet improved with the five-story frame structure shown above. This was built three years ago, and contains forty-five rooms. It is said to be a good income proposition. The deal was made through the Herbert L. Cornish Company.

--Los Angeles Times September 5, 1909 (via ProQuest via CSULB Library):

A NOTABLE DOG

Long story relating that Lucy, a “little brown dog,” who it seems was about to be put to sleep by the dog-catcher, “when taken to the park [Eastlake Park] to see if she would adopt the little lions as her own babies” (it was feared that the over-fretful lion mother, named Kitty, would have accidentally crushed the lionlings in trying to hide them). Now, Lucy, it seems, was a little brown dog in more ways than one, as she had escaped from the house of her mistress Mrs. Brown (residence on Henry St.) while Mrs. B. was on a visit to the beach “last spring.” To make a long story short, Lucy and the lionlets liked each other very much, and would play each day in Eastlake Park . . . where one fine day Mrs. Brown happened to visit the park and spotted her long-lost canine. All ended well, with Lucy not only again living in the Brown home on Henry St., not only visiting the lioninos (Mark and Cleo) daily, but also being the recipient of “a pretty silver plate which has been presented to the little dog” . . . by Mrs. Mary Mitchell.

The Times has various society-page stories which allegedly mention Mrs. Mary Mitchell, who evidently was of the stratum of society at which one would expect just since a thing; but Society stories are maddeningly long with scores of names which yield nothing more than the name and that said name was at some social event with scores of other names...which my patience or indeed impatience keeps me from scrutinizing and adding to the above. There are also other stories in this era of various Mary Mitchells (a Gypsy! a Music Teacher! etc. etc.) who don't seem to be our Mary Mitchell.

Last edited by odinthor; Oct 20, 2016 at 7:45 PM. Reason: To add source credits.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:45 PM

Thanks so much for the information odinthor.

I'm anxious to find a photograph of the income property (that isn't too faint)

five-story, 45 rooms and on a hilltop....sounds quite interesting.

(but we're talking about a different property than the one on the baist, right?) That must be her home on the 1914 baist.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:52 PM

Quote:
Now let's flash-forward to Culver City in the 1950s.

Here's a lovely lady posing in front of the Thalberg Building just outside the east gate of MGM Studios.

eBay

The east gate in the 1950s.

pinterest

The Thalberg Building is directly behind and to the left of the photographer that took this photo.

If you turned right where the man is getting in his car you'd hit the commissary.
__

Today, the Thalberg Building is within the walls of the studio.
A fixture for years in that glass booth to the left of the (50?) Merc was the MGM studio guard (wait for it) Kenneth Hollywood. A very friendly guy, very well known to the movie industry, and missed by many when he finally passed on.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:56 PM

Jungmann--
A tiny correction.... that's a '50 Lincoln...the smaller size, which shared its shell with the Merc....

Here's where you could buy one, at least before the '51s in the showroom came out:

From post 16762

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 7:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungmann View Post
A fixture for years in that glass booth to the left of the (50?) Merc was the MGM studio guard (wait for it) Kenneth Hollywood. A very friendly guy, very well known to the movie industry, and missed by many when he finally passed on.
I'm curious, how do you know about Kenneth Hollywood?
I worked on the lot in the 1980s but always used the west entrance on Overland Avenue.

Several times I had to run errands to the Thalberg Building. I wished I had stopped to speak with Mr. Hollywood. I bet he had thousands of stories.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 8:12 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Whoa, I didn't see that sign Martin_Pal and CityBoyDoug. That's a bit cruel to print on a broadside.

I'm curious CBD, what makes you think it's from a play at the Superba? Did you see a poster of some kind?

518 S. Broadway [circa.1915]

_
ER....good question.

Go to page 2, below, of the Los Angeles Herald - 30 May 1919 and you will see an ad for that play.

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Oct 20, 2016 at 8:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 8:43 PM

I just found this too CBD.

http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d...190606.2.241.4

detail / 1919 glass neg.

__

I thought Harry Carey was the Cubs' announcer.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 20, 2016 at 10:34 PM.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2016, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Thanks so much for the information odinthor.

I'm anxious to find a photograph of the income property (that isn't too faint)

five-story, 45 rooms and on a hilltop....sounds quite interesting.

(but we're talking about a different property than the one on the baist, right?) That must be her home on the 1914 baist.

_
Not sure much can be made of it; but here's the unsatisfactory pic from the 1/5/1908 L.A. Times story mentioned above:

In poking around, I'm finding a Mary Mitchell who seems to have been engaging in real estate speculation in the ca. 1900-1910 period on Main St. and so on; but they're rather nickel-and-dime deals, so I'm not sure she's our Hope St./Figueroa Mary Mitchell.

More interestingly, perhaps, back to the home property on Figueroa (as opposed to the income property on Hope above), here's something from the October 8, 1921, Los Angeles Evening Herald, via California Digital Newspaper Collection http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc:

$1,200,000 PAID FOR LEASE ON FIGUEROA

What is declared to be the largest single realty transaction south of Pico street in the history of Los Angeles was consummated this week in the leasing, for a total consideration of $1,200,000, of the site of the old Mitchell estate, at 1363-1369 South Figueroa street to Harry A. Ungar and Irving D. Watson, who plan the immediate erection of a business block. J.H. Birnbaum of the Birnbaum Investment Co. handled the huge transaction for Mrs. Mary Mitchell, owner of the property. The site, with a frontage of 206 feet on Figueroa street, has a total ground area of nearly three acres. According to Birnbaum, it is planned to cut a new street through the center of the property from Figueroa to Georgia street, making two new corners on each street with a total frontage of 1400 feet. It was claimed that several motor car companies are considering the construction of buildings there.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 1:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I don't post many of Julius Shulman's photosets of models, but this one has Lloyd Wright's name attached as architect. It's "Job 985: Theater Center - model, 1951".

Finally, an impression of how the building would look in situ (from long before AutoCAD and PhotoShop!).

Getty Research Institute
Very interesting Hoss. I've never heard of this proposal until your post.

The geometric lines and copper bands remind me of the Ramon Novarro House (designed by Lloyd Wright in 1928).

http://takesunset.com/2011/11/lloyd-...e-in-the-oaks/

http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.c...rro-house.html

__

Let's take a look back in time.

The home was originally built for Louis Samuel.

https://vickielester.files.wordpress...-los-feliz.jpg

"Wright met Louis Samuel through actor Ramon Novarro. Samuel and Novarro met in dance class years earlier, and, by the middle of the 1920s, the former had become the actor’s personal assistant and business manager. By then Novarro was Hollywood’s first Latin-American superstar, with his most popular role being the lead in 1925’s Ben-Hur.

"Wright created an Art Deco/Mayanesque masterpiece. The four-level home was built into the side of a hill with concrete and oxidized copper throughout (even the floors are concrete). Nearly everything was incorporated in the first floor: dining room; living room; kitchen; the home’s sole bedroom; and the lounge which lead to the outdoor swimming pool."

In 1930, Novarro discovered Samuel had been embezzling from him. Not only was Samuel using the money to play the stock market (not a great move in the fall of 1929), put he was also using his client’s money to pay the mortgage on his Los Feliz home. Now, Novarro wasn’t the type of guy who needed the press digging around in his private affairs, so he quietly opted not to press charges. However, he did take over ownership of the Wright house."

from Floyde B. Bariscale at http://bigorangelandmarks.blogspot.c...rro-house.html

Here is the house and the hillside.

https://waldinadotcom.files.wordpres...ro-house-5.jpg

(a variation of this photograph has been seen before on NLA)

Mr. Novarro posing by the pool in 1945.

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/9499849190182145/

note the small square window on the right.

The pool is behind this area. (red arrow below)

http://www.altfg.com/film/ramon-nova...d-wright-home/

Let's end with an aerial.

google_earth

The home is located at 5609 Valley Oak Drive.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Oct 21, 2016 at 7:58 PM.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2016, 2:33 AM

Quote:
I'm curious, how do you know about Kenneth Hollywood?
I worked on the lot in the 1980s but always used the west entrance on Overland Avenue.

Several times I had to run errands to the Thalberg Building. I wished I had stopped to speak with Mr. Hollywood. I bet he had thousands of stories.
You sometimes had to check in with him and get a pass if you had an appointment on the lot. But if it was around lunchtime, you could blend in with the flow of MGM folks going back to their offices and just stroll in.

I think he had a nameplate in the booth. Hollywood was his real name. I once looked--he had a Google presence.

Like I said, a nice guy.

Last edited by Jungmann; Oct 21, 2016 at 2:34 AM. Reason: mispelling

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos