HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #961  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 2:26 PM
MrMark MrMark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Posts: 3
I thought I'd share a progress picture, there hasn't been any posted lately.

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #962  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:20 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Thanks for the update... looks like they should be hopefully able to finish half the tower before pausing for winter?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #963  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 4:37 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Thanks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #964  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:25 PM
Wolf13 Wolf13 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Posts: 1,664
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
have u been to fourth?

anyhow woodbine has been improoving. remebers working in the bookstore nextdoor and the problems we had then..
I love Forth. Good food and snacks.

I actually thought I spotted myself in the rooftop pics you took, but it wasn't me. Huge fan!

As for Woodbine, I'm all for the slow and gradual change that come with the development of a neighbhourhood. I'm also a big fan of stacking the slow, long term fixes with some quick fixes as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I don't think it'll be too long before we see places like starbucks or even some fast food in the Exchange. I think we're lucky that so far the only chain there is Subway. If McDonalds opened around there it would no doubt do very well.
I wouldn't mind the odd chain to be there... I'd want it to succeed, but hopefully it wouldn't deflect consumers from the many great independent businesses and restaurants there.

Though I'll admit to having frequented that Pita Pit when Shawarma Khan wasn't yet open...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMark View Post
I thought I'd share a progress picture, there hasn't been any posted lately.

That's hot.

Although I sometimes wish for a totalitarian schedule that regulates the blinds, so the exterior stays all uniform lol.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #965  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:31 AM
Bluenote Bluenote is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Winnipeg / St Vital
Posts: 1,101
I'd like to know if the other tower is going to ever get built. Seems like we have had no further updates.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #966  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 1:55 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
I'd like to know if the other tower is going to ever get built. Seems like we have had no further updates.
Drawings are underway. 40 floors.

Top of roof ~430 feet.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #967  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:05 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Construction is supposed to start in March.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #968  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:15 AM
Kris22 Kris22 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 736
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Drawings are underway. 40 floors.

Top of roof ~430 feet.
So just a tad higher than canwest place. Looks like we are getting a new tallest then! (I'm not banking on sky city quite yet)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #969  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:35 AM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Thanks, drew... it's nice to start getting some firmer numbers. To echo kris' comments, it's nice that we're getting a new tallest building although I would have hoped for a bit more than a 10 foot spread compared to 201 Portage. Even an extra storey or two would have made a difference... oh well. At least the tower will look visibly taller than its Winnipeg Square neighbour.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #970  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:59 AM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Thanks, drew... it's nice to start getting some firmer numbers. To echo kris' comments, it's nice that we're getting a new tallest building although I would have hoped for a bit more than a 10 foot spread compared to 201 Portage. Even an extra storey or two would have made a difference... oh well. At least the tower will look visibly taller than its Winnipeg Square neighbour.
For whatever reason I think getting to 40 floors was more important to the owner. I get the feeling the actual height was inconsequential.

I guess the 40 floors is important from a marketing point of view, as nothing else gets past the 30s in Winnipeg.

New Tallest, but it will just blend in to the group at the corner height wise.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #971  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 5:20 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
For whatever reason I think getting to 40 floors was more important to the owner. I get the feeling the actual height was inconsequential.

I guess the 40 floors is important from a marketing point of view, as nothing else gets past the 30s in Winnipeg.

New Tallest, but it will just blend in to the group at the corner height wise.
Hopefully it's got some nice finishing lighting at the top to make it stand out in the skyline. It's crazy that MTS Place is still the only tower in town to have any sort of distinguishing nighttime feature. I love that blue light. It'd be cool if Richardson could find a way to light up their entire building with the LEDs, without making it look hideous with fixtures in the day. Maybe even just repeat the lights at the very top...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #972  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 2:11 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
I have always felt that the Richardson Building should adopt a lighting scheme like Place Ville Marie in Montreal has recently done.


https://www.instagram.com/p/BLew0-phew0/?taken-by=larrydemontreal
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #973  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 3:10 PM
StNorberter StNorberter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 211
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Hopefully it's got some nice finishing lighting at the top to make it stand out in the skyline. It's crazy that MTS Place is still the only tower in town to have any sort of distinguishing nighttime feature. I love that blue light. It'd be cool if Richardson could find a way to light up their entire building with the LEDs, without making it look hideous with fixtures in the day. Maybe even just repeat the lights at the very top...
The trend here seems to be upward led lighting on the face. Richardson has a set that wraps around the bldg about 4 floors up that changes color.

RBC bldg installed the same last year. They're not visible from afar, but pretty noticeable when you're close. TD bldg and Trizac are the only ones with out a lighting accent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #974  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 4:34 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Drawings are underway. 40 floors.

Top of roof ~430 feet.
I realize that owners generally aren't concerned with height like us "Skyscraper Nerds", and I am truly excited to be getting another substantial "true high rise".

In reality though, I have to say I am a bit disappointed that we can't get this one to the 500 ft range. It is just a personal point because I understand the economics of projects.....just saying
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #975  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 4:45 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I realize that owners generally aren't concerned with height like us "Skyscraper Nerds", and I am truly excited to be getting another substantial "true high rise".

In reality though, I have to say I am a bit disappointed that we can't get this one to the 500 ft range. It is just a personal point because I understand the economics of projects.....just saying
I think this one was limited in terms of the capacity of the existing structure that was put in place back in the 70s.

They pushed it as high as it could go (obviously within general economic limitations - anything is theoretically possible if money is no issue).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #976  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:01 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
Gotcha, makes perfect sense.

I fully blame the render designers for making it look nearly 100 ft taller than 360 and making me all school-girlish.
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #977  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 7:03 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Gotcha, makes perfect sense.

I fully blame the render designers for making it look nearly 100 ft taller than 360 and making me all school-girlish.
Didn't Artis imply during the announcement that it could push the mid-40 storeys range? I guess that got my hopes up a bit for a little visual separation from the rest of the P&M pack. But still, a new tallest building after nearly 30 years (!) is nothing to scoff at.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #978  
Old Posted Oct 18, 2016, 8:40 PM
Jeff's Avatar
Jeff Jeff is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Location: Winnipeg|MB
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I have always felt that the Richardson Building should adopt a lighting scheme like Place Ville Marie in Montreal has recently done.


https://www.instagram.com/p/BLew0-phew0/?taken-by=larrydemontreal
this is gorgeous. maybe artis will take a hint with their recladding???
__________________
instagram: @jeff_vernaus
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #979  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 5:04 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Yeah Biff that is exactly what I had in mind for Richardson.

And StNob — RBC building tower portion is fully lit up top to bottom and looks incredible at night. Can see it from as far away as you can see the building. They switch up the colours for events but its usually blue.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #980  
Old Posted Oct 19, 2016, 4:33 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
Drawings are underway. 40 floors.

Top of roof ~430 feet.
Spoke to the guy who runs the Shoppers in Winnipeg Square yesterday about the project. Artis has told him they want that location expanded all the way out to where Chamberlynn's was. There's already a bunch of construction noise from behind his store, although he's not sure exactly what is going on - setting up staging / site management areas maybe? He used to have access to an area back there which is now closed off.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.