HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10161  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:27 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Johnny!!! By Jing, I think you've nailed it!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Hmmmm. VivaAerobús planning to fly to Asia?! Awesomeness!

Hope they fly via YVR!

Although come to think of it... not sure they'd make it on their brand spanking new A320neos they have on order.

Maybe a routing MEX-YVR-PKC-NRT?

PKC - Petropavlovsk could become the new Reykjavik offering some super duper stopover packages on the way to and from.

Don't think VivaAerobús is quite colourful enough though... Need more colour on the vertical stabiliser.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c...pg/800px-Petropawlowsk_und_Koryaksky.jpg
Well-connected airport, and a fascinating town!! It would be a perfect stopover, as you say!! Great destination for 'ecotourists,' as well!!!
     
     
  #10162  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 4:10 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Ummm... The mountain looks amazing, but I am not sure of the old commie town... :roll:

I think Johnny pulled one his trademark pranks again...
     
     
  #10163  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 4:39 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Ummm... The mountain looks amazing, but I am not sure of the old commie town... :roll:

I think Johnny pulled one his trademark pranks again...
Precisely the point.
     
     
  #10164  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 6:24 PM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Ummm... The mountain looks amazing, but I am not sure of the old commie town... :roll:

I think Johnny pulled one his trademark pranks again...
I think Russia is a long shot. If it were to happen I would guess Novosibirsk Tolmachevo Airport. However that is a very long long shot.
     
     
  #10165  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 7:31 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
I think Russia is a long shot. If it were to happen I would guess Novosibirsk Tolmachevo Airport. However that is a very long long shot.
Novosibirsk Tolmachevo serves just about all of Russia, but even at that, transport Canada would nix it, so forget it.
     
     
  #10166  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 10:19 PM
CareerShow CareerShow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 201
A route to Russia would indeed be a shocking one
     
     
  #10167  
Old Posted Oct 16, 2016, 11:41 PM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,286
So does that mean no Moscow for Air Canada from YYZ? It was in their short term plans.
     
     
  #10168  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:08 AM
casper's Avatar
casper casper is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Victoria
Posts: 12,970
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmt18325 View Post
So does that mean no Moscow for Air Canada from YYZ? It was in their short term plans.
Out of YVR I don't think we would ever see Moscow. Perhaps out of YYZ. I don't know anything about the market or its viability. I believe many years ago Air Canada did fly to Moscow. I don't remember exactly, I think may have involved a stop in Heathrow or another European city en-route.

If it were to be a YVR, Siberia is the only place that makes sense (and it is a long shot) and flying to Novosibirsk over the pacific or arctic perhaps. Still very unlikely.
     
     
  #10169  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:20 AM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Out of YVR I don't think we would ever see Moscow. Perhaps out of YYZ. I don't know anything about the market or its viability. I believe many years ago Air Canada did fly to Moscow. I don't remember exactly, I think may have involved a stop in Heathrow or another European city en-route.

If it were to be a YVR, Siberia is the only place that makes sense (and it is a long shot) and flying to Novosibirsk over the pacific or arctic perhaps. Still very unlikely.
YVR-OVB-DEL on rouge :p
     
     
  #10170  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 3:35 AM
jmt18325's Avatar
jmt18325 jmt18325 is offline
Heart of the Continent
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 7,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Out of YVR I don't think we would ever see Moscow. Perhaps out of YYZ.
I know, I just didn't have another place to direct that question.
     
     
  #10171  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:41 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,488
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Out of YVR I don't think we would ever see Moscow. Perhaps out of YYZ. I don't know anything about the market or its viability. I believe many years ago Air Canada did fly to Moscow. I don't remember exactly, I think may have involved a stop in Heathrow or another European city en-route.

If it were to be a YVR, Siberia is the only place that makes sense (and it is a long shot) and flying to Novosibirsk over the pacific or arctic perhaps. Still very unlikely.
YYZ-Russia is about 5X YVR-Russia. YVR-Siberia would be lucky to have 4 people per day.
     
     
  #10172  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:46 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,488
LH to MUC aircraft changes Summer 2017

LH on the YVR-MUC route will revert back to daily 333 next summer versus a mix of 346/333 as per last summer.

No more flying pencil.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airl...ancouver-aircraft-changes-as-of-17oct16/
     
     
  #10173  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:31 AM
Johnny Aussie's Avatar
Johnny Aussie Johnny Aussie is offline
G'day
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Melbourne, VIC
Posts: 4,488
BA summer 2017 changes

BA will once again commence 388 services on the YVR-LHR route effective 1 May 2017. Originally 388 services were to recommence on 1 June 2017.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airl...irways-updates-s17-vancouver-operations/
     
     
  #10174  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 12:46 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
YYZ-Russia is about 5X YVR-Russia. YVR-Siberia would be lucky to have 4 people per day.
Putting Russia aside for a moment, what about this order from our friends at Transport Canada that there has to be sufficient O&D to warrant a route?
It was posted here that a minuscule % of YYZ - CPH are O&D and that most are connecting pax.
Growing up on the North Shore, parts of it had neighbourhoods where it seemed one in every four families was Scandinavian.
Although not like Seattle, Vancouver and Western Canada have a respectable number of Scandinavians, many of whom would, I bet, be willing to go YVR-CPH.
So, if YYZ, in the middle of a huge Italian-Portuguese-WASP-and-other market gets CPH nonstop, 95+% NOT O&D, what are the probabilities for YVR? (zilch, of course)
*
That's just ONE example, one question.
*
Also (if I can get a serious reply to this) what was VIVA.AERO, that LCC Mexican airline, doing at YVR in the first place?? Visiting for afternoon tea? Showing off its 🞵🞵🞵?
* It must have been here for a reason. WHAT REASON? Thank you
     
     
  #10175  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:03 PM
mezzanine's Avatar
mezzanine mezzanine is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Posts: 2,011
YVR-DEL starts Oct 20. It looks like they had a PR event last week at the vancouver art gallery with local travel agents, south asian media and the consul general of india. Big question - will the service be made year-round?

Quote:
Howlett told agents that Air Canada was relying on them to fill the flights as it was placing the Dreamliner, a $100 million aircraft, on the route. “This represents a huge investment of capital on the Indian market and the Delhi corridor,” he said, adding that it would be through the work of agents that the seasonal flights could turn into continued service in the future. “We are counting on everyone here,” he said, adding “we have to demonstrate a positive return on our investment.” The seasonal service is currently scheduled to run until April 8, 2017.
http://www.travelweek.ca/news/build-bett...da-launches-direct-delhi-service-ex-yvr/




http://www.voiceonline.com/air-canadas-e...-ready-for-takeoff-beginning-october-20/
     
     
  #10176  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 5:45 PM
Canadian74 Canadian74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
Don't think VivaAerobús is quite colourful enough though... Need more colour on the vertical stabiliser.
     
     
  #10177  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 6:48 PM
LeftCoaster's Avatar
LeftCoaster LeftCoaster is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Toroncouver
Posts: 13,161
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
LH on the YVR-MUC route will revert back to daily 333 next summer versus a mix of 346/333 as per last summer.

No more flying pencil.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airl...ancouver-aircraft-changes-as-of-17oct16/
I saw this too, very sad. I love the proportions of the 346, hopefully they revise their schedule again and bring it back, although it's days in the skies at all seem numbered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Aussie View Post
BA will once again commence 388 services on the YVR-LHR route effective 1 May 2017. Originally 388 services were to recommence on 1 June 2017.

http://www.routesonline.com/news/38/airl...irways-updates-s17-vancouver-operations/
Good news, I was hoping they would revise that date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Also (if I can get a serious reply to this) what was VIVA.AERO, that LCC Mexican airline, doing at YVR in the first place?? Visiting for afternoon tea? Showing off its 🞵🞵🞵?
* It must have been here for a reason. WHAT REASON? Thank you
It was at YVR for a cruise ship charter apparently.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
YVR-DEL starts Oct 20. It looks like they had a PR event last week at the vancouver art gallery with local travel agents, south asian media and the consul general of india. Big question - will the service be made year-round?



http://www.travelweek.ca/news/build-bett...da-launches-direct-delhi-service-ex-yvr/




http://www.voiceonline.com/air-canadas-e...-ready-for-takeoff-beginning-october-20/
I hope they have success but I am worried about this route. I just went on line and you can see the seat map for any given flight. The planes are not very full even for the dates next week. Surprisingly business class doesn't look too bad but the premium econ and econ are sparse.
     
     
  #10178  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 8:51 PM
Canadian74 Canadian74 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: AB/BC
Posts: 710
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftCoaster View Post

I hope they have success but I am worried about this route. I just went on line and you can see the seat map for any given flight. The planes are not very full even for the dates next week. Surprisingly business class doesn't look too bad but the premium econ and econ are sparse.
I suspect a lot of Y tickets are being sold by travel agents and people haven't selected their seats yet, waiting until check-in ?
The intro prices were genuinely good so I'm sure Y will be quite full this season
     
     
  #10179  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:19 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadian74 View Post
I suspect a lot of Y tickets are being sold by travel agents and people haven't selected their seats yet, waiting until check-in ?
The intro prices were genuinely good so I'm sure Y will be quite full this season
I sure hope you're right. Also, I hope (or rather had hoped) that this YVR-DEL route would unforeseeably "get big" on AC, pushing year-round service with PNW, even California customers.
That's a pipe dream, I guess, but wouldn't it be great to see YVR pushing beyond its preconceived route and service barriers.
     
     
  #10180  
Old Posted Oct 17, 2016, 9:49 PM
SFUVancouver's Avatar
SFUVancouver SFUVancouver is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Hamilton
Posts: 6,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
YVR-DEL starts Oct 20. It looks like they had a PR event last week at the vancouver art gallery with local travel agents, south asian media and the consul general of india. Big question - will the service be made year-round?



http://www.travelweek.ca/news/build-bett...da-launches-direct-delhi-service-ex-yvr/




http://www.voiceonline.com/air-canadas-e...-ready-for-takeoff-beginning-october-20/
Interesting that the dollar value of $100million was put out there as the price of a Dreamliner; that's less than half its list price. It pulls back the curtain a bit on Air Canada's discount from Boeing.
__________________
VANCOUVER | Beautiful, Multicultural | Canada's Pacific Metropolis
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:10 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.