HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #10121  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:55 AM
ilikeredheads ilikeredheads is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: west coast
Posts: 652
^you can access all 3 platforms in Lougheed without having to tap out.

If you take the skytrain from Surrey to Coquitlam, you should only be charged 1 zone fare as long as you didn't tap out in Burnaby, because the system would only recognize you tapping in and out in zone 3. People shouldn't worry about how many times they crossed the zone boundary, instead they just to need know which zone they are tappin in and out at. It simplifies things.

The gates doesn't know and shouldn't need to know how times you cross the boundary while you are still inside the paid fare zone. It just needs to know which zone you tap in and out at so it can deduct the correct fare.
     
     
  #10122  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 8:03 AM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,780
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikeredheads View Post
The fare gates only consider where you tap out. How many times you cross the zone boundary is irrelevant. For example, if you take the skytrain at Joyce and ride it all the way to surrey and back, and tap out at 29th Ave, it'll only be a 1 zone fare. The system doesn't know that you travel all the way to Surrey, and it doesn't need to know because you haven't tapped out yet.
So if you get on a SeaBus travel to Waterfront to Metrotown without tapping out it's one zone?
     
     
  #10123  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 3:34 PM
Axe Axe is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Retreiver View Post
I sat on this for 3 weeks to see if anyone else would pick it up. More recently heard it again in a different venue, but no absolute confirmation, at least not on the record.

Skip to 1:50 in the video for Agenda item 11.1

http://portmoodybc.swagit.com/play/09132016-1492/#2

why didn't you post this in the first place?lol
Agenda item 11.1 skip to 1:50
Mike Clay said he had a meeting with translink and it looks like Nov 20 will be opening day.
     
     
  #10124  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:06 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by jollyburger View Post
So if you get on a SeaBus travel to Waterfront to Metrotown without tapping out it's one zone?
Yeah, this is what doesn't make sense... although if I recall correctly, a tap out is required at Waterfront.

How about Richmond to Metrotown ( if you don't need to tap out between stations )

And as for Zone 3 to Zone 3 I think that before SkyTrain it didn't matter so much as trips between Surrey and Coquitlam were almost always

With faregates, the system always knows the station you started at and ended at so it would be elementary to charge a 2-zone fare, which is fair since you traveled through 2 zones.

I support this for SkyTrain as I'm in favor of pricing things by convenience/speed. This is why I think making buses all 1-zone was a GREAT idea. It gave people more choice. Exchange money for time, or asve money and pay with time/convenience.

I'd also support higher pricing for B-Lines.

One example was a trip to IKEA in Coquitlam from New West.
Previously 2-zones and 5km ( from Sapperton it's even closer )

New West to Brentwood (15 km, 1 Zone ).

Commercial to UBC ( 18 km, 1 zone )

East Van to Brentwood ( 2 Zones, 5 km )

Joyce to Metrotown ( 2 zones, 2.5 km )

Now, you can get to a 28 bus Joyce to Gilmore. 25 bus from Nanaimo to Brentwood, 19 from Joyce to Metrotown. 169 from Braid to Ikea... and they all don't incur an additional zone. It evens out the system and prices convenience and speed better.

Hmmm... I wonder if you could go from downtown to Langley in 90 minutes on a 1-zone ticket.
     
     
  #10125  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 4:22 PM
ConventionalMan's Avatar
ConventionalMan ConventionalMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Somewhere out there, driving a bus.
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Retreiver View Post
I sat on this for 3 weeks to see if anyone else would pick it up. More recently heard it again in a different venue, but no absolute confirmation, at least not on the record.

Skip to 1:50 in the video for Agenda item 11.1

http://portmoodybc.swagit.com/play/09132016-1492/#2
Yeah, that actually jives with rumor grapevine I've been hearing for the last couple months. (I know, I'm hardly an airtight source and an unknown, but I do hear a lot of stuff driving the bus around all day!)
     
     
  #10126  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 5:44 PM
Olden Retreiver Olden Retreiver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axe View Post
why didn't you post this in the first place?lol
Agenda item 11.1 skip to 1:50
Mike Clay said he had a meeting with translink and it looks like Nov 20 will be opening day.
Cuz I wanted to see people's reaction LOL

Was expecting or hoping got some comments like, "Yeah I heard that too..."
__________________
Confidence is that uplifting feeling you have immediately before you fully comprehend the situation.
     
     
  #10127  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 6:10 PM
tom_g tom_g is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Port Moody, BC
Posts: 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olden Retreiver View Post
"Yeah I heard that too..."
I did. And I also withheld it. Ha.
     
     
  #10128  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:23 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,768
Thanks guys!
Nice to hear it'll be well before the holidays.
     
     
  #10129  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 7:38 PM
Express691 Express691 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Yeah, this is what doesn't make sense... although if I recall correctly, a tap out is required at Waterfront.

How about Richmond to Metrotown ( if you don't need to tap out between stations )
Transferring between the Canada Line and Seabus or Expo/Millennium requires a tap out. Shame that they incurred a no-tap transfer between Expo/Seabus but not Expo/Canada lines

Also: Richmond to Metrotown is the job of line 430, so I imagine its faster to go that way.
     
     
  #10130  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 9:16 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
Transferring between the Canada Line and Seabus or Expo/Millennium requires a tap out. Shame that they incurred a no-tap transfer between Expo/Seabus but not Expo/Canada lines

Also: Richmond to Metrotown is the job of line 430, so I imagine its faster to go that way.
So, no tap is required between Seabus and Expo, eh? Which means that a trip from North Van to Metrotown is only 1-zone by train? Can anyone confirm this? I wonder when we'll see a distance based based introduced on SkyTrain. I suspect 6 months after the Evergreen extension.

For reference, here's what one distance based map looks like in Tokyo:


200¥ ~= $2.50

A larger more detailed map (commuter rail, not subway):
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-sPJ5lP8CDEY/U_8nPPEUHbI/AAAAAAAAIm4/0TEojaDXyr8/s1600/IMG_0364.JPG

I wonder what a Vancouver system would look like. Compass makes it less important to have these huge maps everywhere. One way to make it simple would be just charge more for single trips not using compass. Charge $4.20 (currently a 3-zone discounted fare). Though, I suppose people would still need to know how much trips between station A and B would be. Perhaps a trip planner kiosk at each station would work? Something with a large touchscreen surface. Especially at key locations, like the airport?

Last edited by twoNeurons; Oct 4, 2016 at 9:34 PM.
     
     
  #10131  
Old Posted Oct 4, 2016, 10:11 PM
Express691 Express691 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 650
Well if youre closer to Phibbs, then it is cheaper overall to take 130 straight to, or 28 with a transfer at Gilmore, not Joyce.

28 is one of those weird routes WRT Compass - if you wanna go eastbound on a train then its better if you go to Gilmore. If you wanna go west then you go all the way and transfer at Joyce if you wanna save money
     
     
  #10132  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:18 AM
Express691 Express691 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 650
Daily Hive Vancouver picked up on this speculation - not long after we did which is interesting I guess

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/evergreen-extension-opening-date
     
     
  #10133  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:43 PM
Olden Retreiver Olden Retreiver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Express691 View Post
Daily Hive Vancouver picked up on this speculation - not long after we did which is interesting I guess

http://dailyhive.com/vancouver/evergreen-extension-opening-date
Because that's the way Daily Hive works
     
     
  #10134  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 2:59 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,022
I dont see how that is a bad thing.

This is a public forum for people to read and I feel one of our major shared goals is to have the developments we are interesred in be more widely known and publicized.

I am aware of members on here who work for the Daily Hive and other news publications. Won't name names of course, but stop acting so surprised that news agencies and oher similar entities pay attention to a site such as this, which is often on the leading front of major infrastructure ubdates.
__________________
Bridging the Gap
Check out my Flickr: https://www.flickr.com/photos/30634635@N03/with/29495547810/ and Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCV0_0h9qKlhxXFxuAey_q6Q
     
     
  #10135  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 3:44 PM
Olden Retreiver Olden Retreiver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 263
Reporters were at the PoMo council meeting of Sept 12 because a very important topic germane to this forum - redevelopment of the IOCO refinery lands, and potential road access to it - was being discussed. I was very surprised to hear *crickets* in the media after that meeting, such that it made me wonder if Mayoy Clay had misspoken and that is why I tried to ask around elsewhere.

Although nothing is likely to happen for the next 6-12 months, the IOCO Lands development probably warrants a thread in the suburban subgroup.

https://iocolands.com

https://www.facebook.com/SaveBertFlinnPark/
     
     
  #10136  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 4:32 PM
GMD GMD is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 337
Tri-city news did a write-up:

http://www.tricitynews.com/news/planned-...t-moody-remains-for-now-1.2344924http://

More like 6-12 years, not months, before anything happens here. Certainly the current anti-development council is unlikely to proceed and with the market slowing generally and no proposals on the table, this is a ways off.

The whole exercise is a good object lesson for city councils. If you're planning to build a road somewhere, don't let it turn into a dogwalking nature trail first.
     
     
  #10137  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 7:26 PM
Olden Retreiver Olden Retreiver is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 263
I meant that I was exceedingly puzzled the media were completely silent on the Skytrain opening date. Sorry, my post was not clear.

There has been no lack of discussion in PoMo about David Ave,
Ioco Road, and Bert Flinn Park
     
     
  #10138  
Old Posted Oct 5, 2016, 10:36 PM
dothediu dothediu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by officedweller View Post
Thanks guys!
Nice to hear it'll be well before the holidays.
Apparently it was all just a joke from the mayor...
http://globalnews.ca/news/2985502/port-m...vergreen-line-opening-date/?sf37967038=1
     
     
  #10139  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 8:36 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,122
back-pedal, back-pedal. I bet he pushed for a date, Translink gave him a best-case scenario, but asked him to keep it confidential as there were unknowns and since no "bad" news has been heard from the Mayor, decided it would be HIM that broke the news to the media.
     
     
  #10140  
Old Posted Oct 6, 2016, 9:08 PM
jollyburger jollyburger is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 15,780
If he was joking he should have said January 20.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:30 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.