HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VC351W View Post
Curious structure indeed. But pretty typical for an early distribution substation. Those buckets are clay pipes and they served as exits or entrances for the high voltage wires. If you look closely you'll see the three phase wires entering the building. The are supported on a wooden timber and are tied onto insulators.
Those stars are cast iron washers and did serve to tie a steel inner structure to the brick building.

More of the same (buckets).

HuntingtonDL

HuntingtonDL

Last edited by BifRayRock; Sep 28, 2016 at 3:46 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:07 AM

Scully's 4801 Crenshaw Boulevard

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...coll2/id/17620

[IMG][/IMG]

ebay

eBay

"There it is, take it."

Vin and Ron.
http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/1..._960/image.jpg

Last edited by BifRayRock; Oct 1, 2016 at 1:20 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

As you can see, there was a street clock at Seventh & Hope. I thought I'd posted something about it on NLA a few years ago--I have a reference to it in the story of 9 Berkeley Square (http://bit.ly/1ww6kN4) with the information that its works were recently (i.e., ca 2010) sold on Ebay... but I am not near my source materials until after Labor Day, so can't check my notes on it. (Also not finding it in completed Ebay listings.) Maybe someone can dig up some scoop on it in the meantime.

UPDATE:
Just refound this info on the Ebay sale: http://boingboing.net/2010/07/21/eno...tique-tow.html

Source identifies these images as "South Broadway." ~1900-1910 Even with the blurriness, this does not appear to be the Montgomery clock. Wherever these images were taken, they present a fascinating glimpse of progress.
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/19033 and http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/19036

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JScott View Post
Here are various photos of the field of oil derricks at Huntington Beach from the 'Photos of Los Angeles' group on Facebook. People post pictures to this group basically willy-nilly without giving credits, so with one exception, the link to my search will unfortunately have to suffice for the source.

Facebook-'Photos of Los Angeles'

Phillips C. Kauke Photo, Phillips C. Kauke Collection, Stan Kistler Collection. (Image cropped for width.)

If you ignore some duplication, here is another nice collection of derrick photos. http://mashable.com/2015/12/06/oil-d.../#KIeYO1g28kq0

More?

Ocean Ave and Second Street, Long Beach. Undated
http://i357.photobucket.com/albums/o...d.jpg~original

Now you see it. Now you don't.

Same image as above, sans solarity.
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...3coll2/id/8685

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 4:40 PM

Slow down Bif! Please give us a chance to discuss the photographs before you add a hundred more of varying topics.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Slow down Bif! Please give us a chance to discuss the photographs before you add a hundred more of varying topics.
Thank you, e_r.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post
More of the same (buckets).

HuntingtonDL

HuntingtonDL
It's good to see this again BRR.

Here's some information on the building for Vc351W and other newcomers to the thread.

This is Los Angeles #1 Substation (old), also known as Los Angeles Steam Plant #1 .

Originally it was the 2nd Street Cable Railway Company Plant.

hmmmm...but there appears to be some discrepancy in the Huntington archive-

The 5 x 7 glass (shown above) is dated Jan. 1911, yet the description states "It later became Westside Lighting Co. & Edison Electric Co. - dismantled in 1906."

Am I reading it wrong? here'a a link to the info.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/12523/rec/25

Let's re-visit this second amazing photograph that shows the old sub-station #1 along with the new sub-station #2 behind it.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/13184/rec/11

Date 7/1/1912
Description Los Angeles #1 Substation - View from a hill of both the old and new station buildings.
Physical Description Glass Plate ; 8x10

Here's a 1910 baist map that show the old sub-station. (courtesy of HossC)

Originally posted by HossC

And a 1914 baist showing the new #2 sub-station, and the missing sub-station #1.

Originally posted by HossC

Hoss added...

"By 1914, the 'old' substation had gone and the 'new' one was just labeled "Electric Light Plant".
Note that on both of these maps, the part of Second Street west of Boylston was called Lake Shore Avenue. It gets renamed to Second Street by the 1921 map."

__

side-note:

We also discussed the impressive white building up on the hill. (upper right-hand corner in the vintage photo, 1912)

It's the UPP Apartments and HossC did an amazing post on it here: (with close-up views!)
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=29409

originally post / baist maps
http://skyscraperpage.com/forum/show...ostcount=27020

My post might seem redundant to many, but it's such an interesting area & subject matter I couldn't resist.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2016 at 10:18 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Son Arguing with His Father - 1938 ax murder

getty

Father, Son Accuse Each Other as Ax Murder Hunt Continues. Los Angeles, California: As police continued in their search for missing Mrs. Rose Spinelli believed to have been the victim in a bizarre axe murder, the women's husband and son, both jailed in connection with her disappearance hurled epithets and recriminations at each other. Shown above, William Spinelli Jr., 19 at left, points an accusing finger at his father as he cried, 'Tell me where her body is so we can give her a decent burial.' William Spinelli Sr., right, cringed and countered 'You probably killed her yourself. Maybe you know where she's at.' The elder Spinelli went on a hunger strike saying, 'I no want to eat. The police, they are persecuting me.'
Good find CityBoyDoug!

In the other press release it said William Spinelli was a dwarf, but he doesn't appears to have the proportions of a dwarf in this photograph.

(Should I be using a more appropriate word for dwarf?)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2016 at 10:19 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:06 PM

Quote:

Here's some information on the building for newcomers to the thread.

This is Los Angeles #1 Substation (old), also known as Los Angeles Steam Plant #1 .

Originally it was the 2nd Street Cable Railway Company Plant.

hmmmm...but there appears to be a bit of confusion in the Huntington archive-

The 5 x 7 glass (shown above) is dated Jan. 1911, yet the description states "It later became Westside Lighting Co. & Edison Electric Co. - dismantled in 1906."

Am I reading it wrong? here'a a link to the info.
http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/12523/rec/25

__

This image is dated July 1912. So you may be reading the source correctly, but the source is probably mistaken. (Or the structure was dismantled and reconstructed. )

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/13183/rec/17

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:11 PM

Quote:

Source identifies these images as "South Broadway." ~1900-1910 Even with the blurriness, this does not appear to be the Montgomery clock. Wherever these images were taken, they present a fascinating glimpse of progress.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/compou...coll2/id/19033
The 1906 and 1908 CDs have the Owl Drug Co at 459 S Broadway (and 320 S Spring). By 1910 they also had a store at 725 S Broadway. We've see the photo below before on NLA. In this enlargement, the Owl Drug Co is below the left end of the nearest banner. That means the image above was taken from near 5th and S Broadway, looking north. Sadly, the clock's not visible in this view.

Detail of picture in USC Digital Library

The old City Hall looks closer in the USC picture. The 1910 Baist map shows many of the same buildings as these photos.

www.historicmapworks.com

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 6:16 PM

Quote:
You may be reading the source correctly, but the source is probably mistaken. (Or the structure was dismantled and reconstructed. )
Thanks for checking BRR. Maybe the archivist meant to type 1916, not 1906.

And no, I don't think the structure was dismantled and reconstructed. -very funny.
_

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 8:01 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Good find CityBoyDoug!

In that first press release it said William Spinelli was a dwarf, but he doesn't appears to have the proportions of a dwarf in this photograph.

(Should I be using a more appropriate word for dwarf?)
__
I thought the same thing myself. I have no idea what the father could be.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 8:48 PM

Today's Julius Shulman photoset only contains a single image. This is "Job 5193: Hoffman Electronics Corporation (El Monte, Calif.), 1975". The description says the picture was taken for the architects, AC Martin Partners.

Getty Research Institute

I've found lots of information about Les Hoffman and his company. There are articles about the early days making radios and televisions, then on to solar cells and military equipment. Along the way there are plenty of mentions of El Monte, but I nearly gave up hope of finding this building. The address that comes up most often is 4323 Arden Drive (a couple of other Arden Drive addresses also show up). The uninspiring brick building at that location still bears signs for NavCom Defense Electronics Inc, which took over the military side of the business in 1988, and later moved to Corona.

The only other picture I found is this color shot on pinterest. The caption says "Hoffman Electronics Co. HQ and electronics manufacturing facility, El Monte".

www.pinterest.com

The longer view in the pinterest shot shows more of the grounds, which made me take a look at Historic Aerials. The 1980 image clearly shows this little square which is now hiding in the trees just north of the brick building mentioned above.

Google Maps via supercharge.info

The end of the building is visible from the road, but only shows inconclusive black glass. Then I checked the historic GSV images and spotted what looks like the orangey circular detail from the entrance. What a shame we can't see more of it.

GSV

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 9:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post

The Pen & Quill is of particular interest to me because I was arrested there in 1978 because a bunch of us teenagers heard they had drained the swimming pool
for service and we thought that meant we could skateboard in it. The owner made it clear that was not why he had drained it and called the police.
Our skateboards were confiscated for a week and we had to pay about $10 each in damages. That was my one and only time on the wrong side of the law.
That's quite a story Bristolian. So you guys thought it was ok to skate in their pool because there wasn't any water in it? lol
-sounds about right for teenagers.

Since you grew up in Manhattan Beach have you ever heard of this place?

eBay

eBay

It was situated on a slope (about a block from the ocean) -with a roof-top sign.

Little Bavaria was briefly mentioned by rentatrip back in April 2013, but all three of his pics are missing , and I couldn't find any follow up posts.

The area (200 block of Marine Avenue) appears to be all residential now.

google_earth

That's the beach in the upper right corner. (seems like a strange location for a 'Bavarian' restaurant)

historically, was there a large population of Germans in the area?
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2016 at 10:16 PM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:03 PM

ER, Yes, we were typical teenagers.

The discussion here is always entertaining and even more so when it hits so close to home.

I know that area pretty well but had never heard of that hotel or anything about a significant German population in the area. I have heard that there was a cafe at the beach at the bottom of Marine Avenue years ago. For as long as I can remember the area has been completely residential until you get up to Highland Avenue which is just out of frame in the aerial shot you posted so the zoning situation has changed over the years.
Only a few blocks north is the site of Bruce's Beach, once an African American owned beach resort. The land was unfairly seized from the owners and eventually turned into a city park. Tovanger wrote about it in post #32412 last December.

Last edited by Bristolian; Sep 29, 2016 at 3:43 AM.

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:17 PM

I found this photograph dated "Circa 1930s".

"The Little Bavaria Restaurant was next to the Manhattan Inn at 128 Marine Ave. in 1913."

manhattanbeachhistorical.org

Right next to the photo above was this "Circa 1920s" photo.

"The Manhattan Inn was built at 128/132 Marine Ave. in 1913. This was Manhattan Beach's second hotel."

manhattanbeachhistorical.org

Old Posted Sep 28, 2016, 11:24 PM

That's great Hoss! And thanks for the additional information Bristolian, very interesting.
My real name is Bruce, so I'm especially intrigued about Bruce's Beach.

Let's return once more to this 'mystery' photograph from a couple days ago.

Hoss, being the sleuth he is, found the location by way of taxidermy.

far left edge of photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I found A G Booth, taxidermist, at 4573 Huntington Drive North in the 1942 CD.

I finally located some of the buildings on the hillside.

Duke Archive

Buildings A and B

today

gsv

I was surprised by the porch on the front bungalow. If you look closely you can see it in the 1940s photo (it's behind the trees)

Here's a better look at building A.

gsv

Here is C and D that are partially hidden by the billboard.

I wasn't sure if building D was the same building, until I noticed the arched window.

Here is E and F (and little f, the garage)

E is actually missing, but I included it anyway.

Let's take a closer look at mysterious building E, shrouded in trees.

My imagination tells me this was a notorious hide-out for bank robbers. (the sign on top saying WARNING, KEEP OUT!)

and it was blown up in a raid.

gsv

Time for Dinner!

Stay tuned for buildings G and H that sit atop the hill.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 28, 2016 at 11:59 PM.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:01 AM

I'm Back.

First, here's the lower building H.

And here's how it looks today. (now it has wrought iron and metal awnings )

gsv

And now building G at the top of the hill.

For some reason I thought the right side of the house had a rounded turret, but it's actually square (unless I have the wrong building)

The garage at lower right is a survivor as well---->
__

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 1:32 AM

'mystery' building.

Seller's description "VIEW OF EL SEGUNDO(?) WEST OF LAX LOS ANGELES CA 1950s"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Original-8x1...QAAOSw65FXtjDP

Does anyone recognize the building with the helipads?

__

Old Posted Sep 29, 2016, 2:04 AM

(last page)

ER,

I think I got this one. The shot was taken from just south of LAX and is looking west. A smokestack from the Scattergood steam plant can be seen on the horizon. I believe the helipad is atop what is now a Boeing building at 1700 W Imperial Blvd. in El Segundo. Shown here:

GSV

Here is a current Google aerial view showing the helipads that look like they my not have been used in some time:

The giveaway for me was Imperial Bowl which is now an Embassy Suites Hotel and can be seen in the right hand side of the street view. The streetscape has changed some since the original photo was taken because the 105 freeway now ends/starts very close to this spot.

Last edited by Bristolian; Sep 29, 2016 at 2:22 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos