HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1921  
Old Posted Sep 21, 2016, 8:42 PM
CorporateWhore's Avatar
CorporateWhore CorporateWhore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Purgatory
Posts: 4,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by hulkrogan View Post
I find the Edmonton Trail cycle track near useless. I take it when possible so that it doesn't look so unused and hinder future cycle track development.

1) With the half assed connector between the Edmonton Trail couplets on 1st ave, it's attempting to serve people over in Crescent Heights. Beyond the few people down the hill, almost everyone up there will continue to make use of the Curling Club pathway segment to access downtown and the river paths.

2) There is no way up Edmonton Trail. Most people I know that live in Renfrew/Mount View etc take the Curling club path or Samis road for this reason. Riding up Edmonton trail is not fun due to grade and traffic.

3) People that live in Riverside will be largely taking the LRT bridge across to the river path.

4) People that are commuting along 1st ave have to sit and wait in traffic to get across the light at Edmonton Trail to access the bike lanes. There is a way better route through quiet side streets with no traffic that spits you out at Edmonton Trail and Memorial.

Coming home in the evening it works pretty good, but the thing is near useless in the morning unless they get a dedicated lane put on 1st ave to get people past traffic and through that light.
There's a Mainstreet planning meeting on the 26th to talk about issues around 1st ave. Go down and let your feelings be known.

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/PD/Pages/Main-Streets/yyc-Main-Streets/R-first-ave-ne.aspx#mainst-top

Personally I think dedicate bike lanes on 1st would be fantastic. I'd also love to have one on 9ST as well, which would give people a direct connection to the paths as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1922  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:38 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
I'm not exactly sure, but this December council is going to vote on three options regarding the cycle tracks. 1)Keep the cycle tracks as is 2)Make them permanent 3)Remove them completely.

I believe if the cycle tracks are made permanent they will be extended into Sunalta and perhaps 1st street will go back on the table.
I think there needs to be a study on how to convert them when the seasons change IE have them in place for 7-8 months only (though it is noted they are only heavily used for 3-4).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1923  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 4:57 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
I think there needs to be a study on how to convert them when the seasons change IE have them in place for 7-8 months only (though it is noted they are only heavily used for 3-4).
Because we need extra road space in the winter? If there were no users I could see not offering snow clearing or something (not that I want that, but I can see the case for!), but why go to the extra cost every year of installing and removal? Last year I started biking regularly after mid-February when there was no longer accumulated snow/ice - a policy with a set date wouldn't put in infrastructure until much later.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1924  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:05 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Because we need extra road space in the winter? If there were no users I could see not offering snow clearing or something (not that I want that, but I can see the case for!), but why go to the extra cost every year of installing and removal? Last year I started biking regularly after mid-February when there was no longer accumulated snow/ice - a policy with a set date wouldn't put in infrastructure until much later.
They could be a great option for snow dumping on those crazy snow days. The additional massive cost savings would be the lack of need for specialized narrow snow clearing machines for those stretches.

Just to be clear, I'm only highlighting that it is not a black or white decision necessarily, and perhaps some primary cycle lanes remain (like the more heaviy used one in the core area).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1925  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:13 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
I don't believe they have had to purchase any sort of specialized snow clearing vehicle, pretty sure they are using existing ones that also do the pathways.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1926  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:16 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
They could be a great option for snow dumping on those crazy snow days. The additional massive cost savings would be the lack of need for specialized narrow snow clearing machines for those stretches.

Just to be clear, I'm only highlighting that it is not a black or white decision necessarily, and perhaps some primary cycle lanes remain (like the more heaviy used one in the core area).
Don't you mean:


I say we should stop clearing normal roads. Everyone can just find another way to get where they need to go. The savings will pay for helicopter ambulances.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1927  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 5:55 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
I don't believe they have had to purchase any sort of specialized snow clearing vehicle, pretty sure they are using existing ones that also do the pathways.
Still costs money - more people and more equipment.

And recall the disaster last year where 50% of the signs were damaged by buses and snow-clearing equipment trying to navigate in and out of those lanes.

Do you not agree that the utility of those lanes is basically zilch during a snow day?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1928  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 6:00 PM
MasterG's Avatar
MasterG MasterG is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Calgary
Posts: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Still costs money - more people and more equipment.

And recall the disaster last year where 50% of the signs were damaged by buses and snow-clearing equipment trying to navigate in and out of those lanes.

Do you not agree that the utility of those lanes is basically zilch during a snow day?
Utility of car lanes are basically zilch in the snow-mageddon that you are fearful of. We are Calgary, not Montreal. Snow happens but it's a fleeting experience.
__________________
From the right side of the wrong side of the tracks.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1929  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 7:52 PM
Porfiry Porfiry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
Do you not agree that the utility of those lanes is basically zilch during a snow day?
Fat bikes or mountain bikes with studded tires are surprisingly capable on snow and ice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1930  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 8:50 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
More people do seem to be taking up the year round biking. Removing the tracks would not help encourage this. Personally I am looking into riding as much as possible into the winter. Sadly my commute doesn't take me on the tracks but I'd appreciate the separation from vehicular traffic in tricky weather conditions.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1931  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 10:26 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
Fat bikes or mountain bikes with studded tires are surprisingly capable on snow and ice.
No one is denying that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
More people do seem to be taking up the year round biking. Removing the tracks would not help encourage this. Personally I am looking into riding as much as possible into the winter. Sadly my commute doesn't take me on the tracks but I'd appreciate the separation from vehicular traffic in tricky weather conditions.
Hmmm - perhaps they should do the vote after the next year to see if this happens.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1932  
Old Posted Sep 22, 2016, 11:50 PM
Porfiry Porfiry is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbia View Post
No one is denying that.
You did.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1933  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 3:09 AM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
An ipsos city of Calgary survey on the cycle tracks is in the field. Almost a half an hour survey!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1934  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 4:18 AM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
More people do seem to be taking up the year round biking. Removing the tracks would not help encourage this. Personally I am looking into riding as much as possible into the winter. Sadly my commute doesn't take me on the tracks but I'd appreciate the separation from vehicular traffic in tricky weather conditions.
Cold isn't really something that stops bikers. Unsafe footing is a much bigger deterrent. What percentage of days even in the winter are roads clear and dry? At least 90%. With a safe place to ride, bikers will continue to ride all winter.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1935  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 1:48 PM
Bigtime's Avatar
Bigtime Bigtime is offline
Very tall. Such Scrape.
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 17,727
Yeah I've heard you don't really need to do much to stay warm, a few layers and a windbreak and you are heating up pretty quick. Even right now the morning can be a little chilly. I'm wearing a long sleeve MEC shirt, my light bike jacket, pants, balaclava, and gloves. Once I start pedaling I warm right up, and when I've thrown on an extra layer I'm actually sweating a little which isn't ideal if I have to stop for a few minutes (train, long traffic light).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1936  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 2:58 PM
MalcolmTucker MalcolmTucker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 11,635
^ unless there is just the right wind! Otherwise you can just layer until you need to switch to ski goggles and a neck warmer to stop frostbite on the check bones (unless you can withstand a restrictive mask). Today for heating up too much was a good example for me - I need to buy the headband version of my under helmet beanie - ended up with a wet mop at the other end! People were dressed pretty intensely today - got a few weird looks in jeans, a button down oxford and gloves.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1937  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 5:38 PM
You Need A Thneed's Avatar
You Need A Thneed You Need A Thneed is offline
Construction Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Castleridge, NE Calgary
Posts: 5,892
When I used to be able to ride, I remember riding down to about -10 in basically a tshurt and my cycling shell, of course gloves and a light bellaclava.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1938  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 5:51 PM
googspecial googspecial is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: YYC
Posts: 233
Maybe you should get a thneed
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1939  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 6:32 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porfiry View Post
You did.
No I did not. I will even grant you that it is "possible" to ride a bike across Antarctica.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1940  
Old Posted Sep 23, 2016, 6:34 PM
suburbia suburbia is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,271
Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
^ unless there is just the right wind!
Oh - but Calgary is known to be a city with no wind for 95% of all days.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Projects & Construction Updates
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.