HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #34681  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:14 PM
go go white sox go go white sox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
Yeah, I'm puzzled by what you find delusional. The only person we hear asking a question simply expresses concern about the parking garage curb cut being directly opposite the busy entrance to Trader Joe's. When the reporter asks some other folks leaving the meeting what they thought of the project, they just say "well, I hope it's not more development than the infrastructure can handle." They didn't raise their hands to say that.

Now delusional was what I heard at last week's meeting about the apocalyptic horrors that will result from painting a bike-street "sharrow" on Ninth St. in Dearborn Park.
I found the comments from the last woman strikingly delusional imo. She says the residents in the south loop like their neighborhood the way it is. No way she can speak for everyone and assume that. She then says they are not only replacing it but filling it, with an almost cringe worthy expression to over capacity? I mean this is Chicago and the south loop has so many lots and land that would obviously be developed sooner or later, and if those residents somehow believed when they moved there, it was going to stay as is is ignorant, after all this is the third largest city in USA.
     
     
  #34682  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:17 PM
ithakas's Avatar
ithakas ithakas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 1,043
Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
I found the comments from the last woman strikingly delusional imo. She says the residents if the south loop like their neighborhood the way it is. No way she can speak about everyone and assume that.
She certainly doesn't speak for everyone. My mother, who has lived in the South Loop for over 30 years, was just expressing disappointment that the area still has yet to develop any real interesting retail district. I told her that I personally believe it's because of how Dearborn Park chokes the neighborhood, and of course the encouragement of big-box retail at Roosevelt.
     
     
  #34683  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 3:23 PM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,668
Roosevelt looks like LA
     
     
  #34684  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:14 PM
Mr Downtown's Avatar
Mr Downtown Mr Downtown is offline
Urbane observer
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4,393
Quote:
Originally Posted by go go white sox View Post
I found the comments from the last woman strikingly delusional imo. She says the residents in the south loop like their neighborhood the way it is.
But almost by definition, people with the ability to choose among neighborhoods like theirs the way it is. Except for a few of us weird urban-pioneer types, people choose a neighborhood because they like it, not because they hope it will become something completely different.
     
     
  #34685  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 4:59 PM
MultiModal MultiModal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 159
The Chili's in River North closed permanently. It was at 10 E Ontario, I am ecstatic by this news.


     
     
  #34686  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:15 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
^ Best news of the day! Wasn't that building just recently purchased too? I hope something good replaces it
     
     
  #34687  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:20 PM
Steely Dan's Avatar
Steely Dan Steely Dan is online now
devout Pizzatarian
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Lincoln Square, Chicago
Posts: 30,527
^^ "other nearby locations" LOL!

so i'm in river north, and i have this insatiable craving for an awesome blossom, what to do?

easy, just hop in my car and drive up to evanston or down to morgan park. how convenient!
     
     
  #34688  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:49 PM
k1052 k1052 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,368
There is a caisson rig drilling away on the Nobu site today.
     
     
  #34689  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 5:50 PM
go go white sox go go white sox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 160
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
But almost by definition, people with the ability to choose among neighborhoods like theirs the way it is. Except for a few of us weird urban-pioneer types, people choose a neighborhood because they like it, not because they hope it will become something completely different.
I'm not so sure about that. I for one literally almost bought property in the south loop several years ago. One reason was because i was looking at it as in an investment based on what the south loop could potential become one day. I settled in oak park where development is booming and I'm loving the vibranvy, density, and urban infill it's generating.
     
     
  #34690  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:07 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by maru2501 View Post
Roosevelt looks like LA
Yep, it makes me gag.
     
     
  #34691  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:10 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by MultiModal View Post
The Chili's in River North closed permanently. It was at 10 E Ontario, I am ecstatic by this news.


Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Best news of the day! Wasn't that building just recently purchased too? I hope something good replaces it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^^ "other nearby locations" LOL!

so i'm in river north, and i have this insatiable craving for an awesome blossom, what to do?

easy, just hop in my car and drive up to evanston or down to morgan park. how convenient!
Great news! I have no idea who Chili's appeals to. I mean not great food at a not great price is not particularly appealing. Just go to McDs.

Last edited by Vlajos; Sep 1, 2016 at 6:35 PM.
     
     
  #34692  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:17 PM
Swicago Swi Sox's Avatar
Swicago Swi Sox Swicago Swi Sox is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Chicago
Posts: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Great news! I have no idea who Chili's appeals too. I mean not great food at a not great price is not particularly appealing. Just go to McDs.
I have not had an Awesome Blossom or Bloomin' Onion in like 15 years...but oh man...i'd eat one right now if it didn't mean sitting in a Chillis.
     
     
  #34693  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:36 PM
Vlajos Vlajos is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Posts: 2,486
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swicago Swi Sox View Post
I have not had an Awesome Blossom or Bloomin' Onion in like 15 years...but oh man...i'd eat one right now if it didn't mean sitting in a Chillis.
Lol, do they do take out?
     
     
  #34694  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 6:43 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Great news! I have no idea who Chili's appeals to. I mean not great food at a not great price is not particularly appealing. Just go to McDs.
Small town tourists, or foreign tourists who have no idea what Chili's is and get sucked into it (seen it before walking by TGI Friday's and all the time in NYC at various places).
     
     
  #34695  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 7:18 PM
maru2501's Avatar
maru2501 maru2501 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: chicago
Posts: 1,668
Houlihans on south side of river just east of Mich also closed fairly recently. Now lets get a demo permit for rainforest cafe
     
     
  #34696  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:02 PM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,329
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
There is a caisson rig drilling away on the Nobu site today.
     
     
  #34697  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 8:54 PM
Busy Bee's Avatar
Busy Bee Busy Bee is online now
Closeted Normie
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: on the artistic spectrum
Posts: 13,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
I have no idea who Chili's appeals to. I mean not great food at a not great price is not particularly appealing. Just go to McDs.
Michael Scott?

The Southwestern eggrolls appeal to me. Freakin delicious. "Just go to McDs" ? Give me a break. Yeah Chilis is mostly lame, but plenty of burbers and non-cosmo folks like it due to lack of any better options. Get off your high horse.
     
     
  #34698  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:09 PM
JK47 JK47 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlajos View Post
Great news! I have no idea who Chili's appeals to. I mean not great food at a not great price is not particularly appealing. Just go to McDs.

My parents called my (then girlfriend) wife to let her know that my cat had died. They weren't sure how to tell me. My wife decided that she didn't want the bad news to ruin my feelings about a particular place (e.g. "I hate being here since it reminds me of...") that we liked. So she tried to think of a terrible restaurant we'd never miss if I decided I never wanted to go back there due to bad memories.

That was the Chili's that just closed. Now I'll have to drive out to the suburbs in order to receive traumatizing news over an awesome blossom.
     
     
  #34699  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 9:24 PM
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,150
I live in River North and I've eaten at that Chilis a few times simply because of how few inexpensive places there are left in River North.
     
     
  #34700  
Old Posted Sep 1, 2016, 10:30 PM
Rizzo Rizzo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Chicago
Posts: 7,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
^ Best news of the day! Wasn't that building just recently purchased too? I hope something good replaces it
I'll admit we've gone to chillis when the wait at Quartino was too long. But that was like 3 years ago.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:30 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.