HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #15301  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:37 AM
urbancanadian urbancanadian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 713
I agree that it should be feasible to run 24-hour service over the weekend. You could definitely get away with longer headways, but you wouldn't want them to be too long. Given how well-used the night bus routes are, and how many people there are downtown late at night on the weekends, the trains would still be relatively busy. Like if the they only ran every half hour I suspect the trains would be pretty packed.

It could actually be a bit of a boon to nightlife downtown. Right now the price of a cab fare to just about anywhere is ridiculous. It totally limits the amount of times most can actually afford to spend a night out. People are also forced leave really early too. Not to sound like a snob, but people are already leaving soon after the time I prefer to show up. I think this is actually a symptom of poor late-night transit service - and not that people in Vancouver are lame or something.

But you certainly couldn't run 24-hour service all week. Those maintenance hours are crucial. From my experience in New York, the service is fairly unreliable in the middle of the night. I've spent more than once waiting on a platform for close to an hour only to give up and take a cab to my hotel...
     
     
  #15302  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:46 AM
Sheba Sheba is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: BC
Posts: 4,597
Quote:
Originally Posted by nname View Post
And you're just picking one of the few stations that are not directly served by nightbus. Every other ones beside Braid, Sapperton, and maybe 29th Ave are within 10min walk from the closest nightbus stop.
Edmonds is a 15 minute walk. When you add that to the bus taking over double the time the train does, it becomes painful to have to take the night bus.
     
     
  #15303  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:38 PM
jsbertram jsbertram is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 3,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
Taking the N19 is like cancer... its the worst thing ever.

If I take the Skytrain from 22nd station its 24 mins to downtown.

The N19 and walking home takes 1 hour and 30 mins... shoot me in the face
Its either $2.75 for the late night bus or $70+ for a cab home to the burbs.

Sometimes you've spent too much on the good times pub crawl, and have to atone by using the LateNiteBus (which is all you can afford).

and the walk home from the bus stop starts the sobering-up process.
     
     
  #15304  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 11:41 PM
retro_orange retro_orange is offline
retro_orange
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,029
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Its either $2.75 for the late night bus or $70+ for a cab home to the burbs.

Sometimes you've spent too much on the good times pub crawl, and have to atone by using the LateNiteBus (which is all you can afford).

and the walk home from the bus stop starts the sobering-up process.
I think it's reasonable to instate an additional fee in those late hours similar to taking the train to the airport to offset the cost of late night service. I'd rather pay $10 for a late night train ride than a $70 taxi.
     
     
  #15305  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:56 AM
Express691 Express691 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Posts: 650
Especially on weekends, more so Sunday schedule where ive been hearing that the first SkyTrain out of King George is already packed by the time it gets to Scott Road. The source ive been hearing from has been mentioning that that first train is almost always a mark 1.

Translink sure has a thing for keeping surrey people from going Downtown at 3 or 4am.

News1130 recently put out an article discussing why SkyTrain cannot run 24 hour service

http://www.news1130.com/2016/08/23/this-is-why-vancouver-doesnt-have-24-hours-skytrain-service/

I even heard of London instating something called "Night Tube" just this past weekend actually, so Translink's argument on London not running nighttime trains was invalid from the start. However, we do need to keep in mind that Vancouver and London have a huge gap in terms of population and density.

https://youtu.be/b-5oNLoSOeI

Last edited by Express691; Aug 25, 2016 at 5:06 AM.
     
     
  #15306  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 4:12 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
It has been at least a month since I last posted on this website, but for the last three weeks I was in Vancouver, and indeed all over western Canada. I took 700 photos and many videos while around so I will be very active over the next couple weeks as I get the mall edited.

I also finally bought a GoPro camera. My first test playing with it was taking the Canada Line from Waterfront to Richmond.

So, for fun, here is a time lapse I made of riding the Canada Line:

• Video Link

Last edited by Metro-One; Aug 26, 2016 at 5:30 AM.
     
     
  #15307  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 6:10 AM
ryanmaccdn ryanmaccdn is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbertram View Post
Its either $2.75 for the late night bus or $70+ for a cab home to the burbs.

Sometimes you've spent too much on the good times pub crawl, and have to atone by using the LateNiteBus (which is all you can afford).

and the walk home from the bus stop starts the sobering-up process.
Last I checked we wanted to encourage business and culture downtown and this is not a solution to that.

Also I took that bus twice a week for 6 months working night shifts.

I was puked on twice, I was threatened with a knife once, the bus driver abandon his bus after people were fighting, also walking thru the forest at Edmonds is fun... and rapey at 2am....

I don't understand peoples hate on people either living outside of Vancouver proper(which is insanely small) or people trying to enjoy culture and nightlife ..

After moving to Melbourne I end up going out and being pubs/wine bars at 2 - 3 am... most of the people are 30+ above and having a responsible time. So this stigma that it's just the "Granville Street Hooligans" that people conj our up when going out on a Saturday is insane..

When living in Vancouver I'm sorry I don't want to netflix and chill every single night. Fauck.
     
     
  #15308  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 2:29 PM
nname nname is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 5,106
I took the N9 a few times, and each time there's a transit police on board or in a car following the bus until lougheed station
     
     
  #15309  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 3:27 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,731
N9 sounds nasty. But it stands to reason any 24-hour Skytrain would have the same issues (and require the same level of transit police, per train).
     
     
  #15310  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 5:04 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
I was puked on twice, I was threatened with a knife once, the bus driver abandon his bus after people were fighting, also walking thru the forest at Edmonds is fun... and rapey at 2am....

I don't understand peoples hate on people either living outside of Vancouver proper(which is insanely small) or people trying to enjoy culture and nightlife ..
I might be missing your point, but aren't these somewhat contradictory statements?
     
     
  #15311  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:10 PM
logicbomb logicbomb is offline
Joshua B.
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
N9 sounds nasty. But it stands to reason any 24-hour Skytrain would have the same issues (and require the same level of transit police, per train).
You'd probably need to increase policing, at least 1 officer per train. I used to be for the idea of a 24 hour service but you realize it would lead to a whole number of issues due to the number of morons and homeless people in this City.
     
     
  #15312  
Old Posted Aug 26, 2016, 7:38 PM
ConventionalMan's Avatar
ConventionalMan ConventionalMan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Somewhere out there, driving a bus.
Posts: 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
N9 sounds nasty. But it stands to reason any 24-hour Skytrain would have the same issues (and require the same level of transit police, per train).
True, the "problem" routes will very often have accompanying security. I regularly do various nightbuses. Majority of the time they will ride along on N19, N20, N9, sometimes N35 but others too, one security person on the bus, one following along in the car behind. Sometimes as much as every other trip, sometimes the full trip, other times just the "trouble" portion and they're not too far away if something needs attention on a bus with no security. On the other hand, I never once saw them on the N22, N17 or N16. Also, if it looks like it's going to be a particularly rowdy trip, we can call and have supervisors and/or security show as a preventative measure. It's funny how many people walk away when they see the security folks standing in the front of the bus.
     
     
  #15313  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 2:22 AM
ssiguy ssiguy is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: White Rock BC
Posts: 11,994
I asked a question ages ago but I can't find it so I'll ask again.......

The Canada Line will finally be getting it's much needed "C" car but also Translink is going to increase frequency which is great news. However, right now Translink already has the option of increased frequency as the trains run slower than potential but Translink can't afford it so how is Translink going to afford it when the "C" sections come? I know Christy did a big news conference on the improvements but I don't recall her giving any extra money to run the trains and Translink already is suffering from lack of funds and falling ridership.
     
     
  #15314  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 5:56 AM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,030
mixing up two different issues. The speeds will increase when new stations are added to the line in order to keep end to end travel the same time. It is not for increasing capacity. More trains and C cars are for increasing capacity.

Seeing how much everyone loved my video here are some pics I took of the new MK3 cars near Metrotown. Sadly, I left Van days before they were open for ridding.

MK3 Skytrain by Ian, on Flickr

MK3 Through Metrotown by Ian, on Flickr

Skytrain Through Metrotown by Ian, on Flickr

Pics are my own of course.
     
     
  #15315  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 6:28 AM
red-paladin red-paladin is offline
Vancouver Moderator
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Burnaby
Posts: 3,626
Great video and pics!
     
     
  #15316  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 6:55 AM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,361
Thanks for the great pics!

Has anyone actually ride in a Mk3 train yet after the train is added to normal service?
     
     
  #15317  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 7:02 AM
dpogue dpogue is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waders View Post
Thanks for the great pics!

Has anyone actually ride in a Mk3 train yet after the train is added to normal service?
I rode 408 from Granville outbound to King George yesterday and back to New West. There was an STA sitting with the control panel open at the end of the train, watching the speedometer and the LEDs on the train status panel. He said that they had to be attended for the first two weeks of revenue service (although I thought I heard someone say today that the first two were good and no longer needed an STA on board).
     
     
  #15318  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 7:08 PM
BCPhil BCPhil is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Surrey
Posts: 2,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanmaccdn View Post
Last I checked we wanted to encourage business and culture downtown and this is not a solution to that.

Also I took that bus twice a week for 6 months working night shifts.

I was puked on twice, I was threatened with a knife once, the bus driver abandon his bus after people were fighting, also walking thru the forest at Edmonds is fun... and rapey at 2am....

I don't understand peoples hate on people either living outside of Vancouver proper(which is insanely small) or people trying to enjoy culture and nightlife ..

After moving to Melbourne I end up going out and being pubs/wine bars at 2 - 3 am... most of the people are 30+ above and having a responsible time. So this stigma that it's just the "Granville Street Hooligans" that people conj our up when going out on a Saturday is insane..

When living in Vancouver I'm sorry I don't want to netflix and chill every single night. Fauck.
There is a difference between encouraging something, and having the taxpayer subsidize the binge drinking habits of a small portion of our society.

Is the cost of running Skytrain all night made up for with contributions to society by patrons of pubs?

I've cut short a fun night many a times to make the last Skytrain to Surrey. Fact of life. I don't see why peoples taxes should go up to support my leisure life.
     
     
  #15319  
Old Posted Aug 27, 2016, 8:47 PM
Waders Waders is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 1,361
     
     
  #15320  
Old Posted Aug 28, 2016, 3:23 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
I don't ride Skytrain often but got a chance ride on a new Mark III this evening to see the UFC fight in Downtown and almost caught the same train on my way! It's nice but I doubt many will be able to differenciate it from Mark II. A little but quieter, but not by much. I like the seating, though.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:45 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.