HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2481  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 7:58 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Going to The Banc to catch a soccer game.
     
     
  #2482  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 8:06 PM
Wally West Wally West is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 231
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
My only gripe is the low seating capacity... It should be 30k min
Same. I'm assuming they intentionally chose a low capacity in order for the stadium to be consistently crowded. Nothing is more damaging to a team's rep than empty seats and considering they're directly competing with the successful LA Galaxy, I think they want any advantage they can take.

And the Banc of California name is a pretty decent and inoffensive name. It's not as bad as the other possibilities such as "Jobing.com Arena", "The Home Depot Center", "Toyota Center", "KFC Yum! Center" or "The StubHub Center, etc. It'll be pretty easy for fans to call the arena "The Banc".

Last edited by Wally West; Aug 25, 2016 at 5:47 PM.
     
     
  #2483  
Old Posted Aug 23, 2016, 11:15 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,065
Yeah, I think it's the prudent thing. They have a lot going for them (location, branding, ownership) but you don't know how the community will respond until it actually gets going. Especially with the LA Galaxy being more well-known. They are at about 7k season ticket holders right now, and they are aiming for about 15k, so they still have a little ways to go. Hopefully as the steel starts rising, they'll gain some momentum.
     
     
  #2484  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 1:57 AM
Wilcal Wilcal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucaipa--LA exurban wasteland
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Looks and sounds great! My only gripe is the low seating capacity... It should be 30k min
I'm sorry I missed it, but what is the seating capacity again?
     
     
  #2485  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 6:25 AM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilcal View Post
I'm sorry I missed it, but what is the seating capacity again?
My last information was 22000 seats.

https://lafc.com/stadium/

Somebody said last week that there was probably not enough space for a bigger arena, but it's a new club so I guess that could be the reason.
We had a conversation about the status of soccer in the US. Seattle has on average a crowd of over 40000 people for every home game.

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-mls-attendance/

L.A. Galaxy has a problem with the capacity too. They have only 27000 seats and its hard to get a seat for the playoffs.

I like the look of the the new arena and will try to get a ticket for the first game.

Last edited by black_crow; Aug 24, 2016 at 6:57 AM.
     
     
  #2486  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 3:54 PM
Wilcal Wilcal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Yucaipa--LA exurban wasteland
Posts: 711
Quote:
Originally Posted by black_crow View Post
My last information was 22000 seats.

https://lafc.com/stadium/

Somebody said last week that there was probably not enough space for a bigger arena, but it's a new club so I guess that could be the reason.
We had a conversation about the status of soccer in the US. Seattle has on average a crowd of over 40000 people for every home game.

http://soccerstadiumdigest.com/2016-mls-attendance/

L.A. Galaxy has a problem with the capacity too. They have only 27000 seats and its hard to get a seat for the playoffs.

I like the look of the the new arena and will try to get a ticket for the first game.
Given the circumstances of potential growth in demand it would be a disgraceful waste of resources to build a stadium that will be obsolete in capacity in a short period of time. Of course it would not be the first time that a newer venue was razed and replaced with a larger one. If it was an issue of space constraint couldn't they have considered another location near the Coliseum? Or better yet, replace some of the surface parking lot south of the arena with a parking structure. God knows there is a lot of underutilized land in the area.
     
     
  #2487  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 4:18 PM
colemonkee's Avatar
colemonkee colemonkee is offline
Ridin' into the sunset
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 9,289
Playoff tickets are always difficult to score no matter what the sport. That's part of the experience.
     
     
  #2488  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 5:27 PM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by colemonkee View Post
Playoff tickets are always difficult to score no matter what the sport. That's part of the experience.
L.A. Galaxy has on average 24000 seats sold out, so it's not just a playoff thing.

Let's just face it.. the new LAFC arena is small. Everybody knows that.
LAFC members were already looking into the option to play some bigger games in the Coliseum and that could be a solution.

Last edited by black_crow; Aug 24, 2016 at 7:54 PM.
     
     
  #2489  
Old Posted Aug 24, 2016, 8:02 PM
ChelseaFC's Avatar
ChelseaFC ChelseaFC is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,065
I've never had a problem getting a ticket to a Galaxy game, had I ever had the desire to go in the first place. There are always lots of empty seats. The new LAFC stadium is designed to safeguard against that. And for that matter, the capacity is comparable to other new soccer-specific stadiums around the league. Bigger is not always better.
     
     
  #2490  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 12:16 AM
Urbannizer's Avatar
Urbannizer Urbannizer is online now
Moderator
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Austin, TX / Portland,OR / Chicago, IL
Posts: 14,711
3Q 2017 start date for Bixel Residence...from a recent webinar with the architect.

     
     
  #2491  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 1:01 AM
Easy's Avatar
Easy Easy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Posts: 1,598
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
I've never had a problem getting a ticket to a Galaxy game, had I ever had the desire to go in the first place. There are always lots of empty seats. The new LAFC stadium is designed to safeguard against that. And for that matter, the capacity is comparable to other new soccer-specific stadiums around the league. Bigger is not always better.
I agree that LAFC is on the small side but as the graphic shows they'll have the steepest angle of any soccer stadium. That means good views but also means they were space limited.

Regarding the Galaxy, their actual attendance is well below their paid attendance with the announced attendance somewhere in between. They overinflate the actual attendance and the paid attendance must include lots of season ticket holders that don't go and/or ticket resellers that weren't able to resell.
     
     
  #2492  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:18 AM
kaneui kaneui is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 1,561
Perhaps these rods attached to the exterior of the Wilshire Grand spire will be the lighting element:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJgHH5NgAvc/?tagged=wilshiregrand
     
     
  #2493  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 2:20 AM
Mojeda101's Avatar
Mojeda101 Mojeda101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: DTLA
Posts: 1,474
While I had hoped it would've been a silver sort of color, it's at least quite noticeable from a distance.
     
     
  #2494  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 3:09 AM
upward 2000 upward 2000 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneui View Post
Perhaps these rods attached to the exterior of the Wilshire Grand spire will be the lighting element:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BJgHH5NgAvc/?tagged=wilshiregrand
I was just thinking the same thing. It looks like they were just installed.The 4th section was also installed today.
     
     
  #2495  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:26 AM
headcheckjj's Avatar
headcheckjj headcheckjj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2016
Posts: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
3Q 2017 start date for Bixel Residence...from a recent webinar with the architect.

Interesting. The rendering makes it seem much short than I imagined. Looks dwarfed beside the Chase building.
     
     
  #2496  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:58 AM
cesar90 cesar90 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 433
     
     
  #2497  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 8:28 AM
black_crow's Avatar
black_crow black_crow is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 569
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelseaFC View Post
I've never had a problem getting a ticket to a Galaxy game, had I ever had the desire to go in the first place. There are always lots of empty seats.
With all due respect, Sir, I don't think it's that easy to get tickets.

Empty seats maybe. The games are still sold out.
Many people have season tickets and don't go to every game. We have the same problem in Europe.

The arena is sold out for nearly every playoff game and has on average around 90 % of their seats sold out.
I visit at least half of the home games and had to book weeks earlier to get good tickets.


Even sites like Vividseats.com write:

Quote:
..and it’s normal for Galaxy fans to sell out the 27,000 seats of the StubHub Center. And if they reach the post-season, you can get LA Galaxy playoff tickets here.
http://www.vividseats.com/mls/los-angeles-galaxy-tickets.html

The MLS had on average 60% more visitors than in 2000.
That's an increase that you wont find anywhere else in the world.

The new arena is small, but LAFC is not Galaxy and they have the Coliseum next door. They will be fine for the next years.

Last edited by black_crow; Aug 25, 2016 at 9:26 AM.
     
     
  #2498  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:35 PM
citywatch citywatch is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 6,730


Quote:
Mrs M.
Los Angeles, CA

2.0 star rating
8/13/2016

DO NOT MOVE HERE. I am now in purgatory. The purgatory of endless construction noise, not the regular downtown noise that I have come to embrace. The demolition and construction for two new buildings has started, preceded by the blood curdling scream of someone jumping off the roof a couple weeks ago!

This morning I was awakened by the sound of heavy equipment and machinery, clanging, grinding, pounding, rattling, and endless beeping of trucks and bulldozers and they tear, grind, dig and unload. It's very disheartening and disappointing that management didn't make me aware of the pending construction before I signed a lease. Only after construction started did I get a notice communicating the hours of construction which, by-the-way were not accurate. They will be working on national holidays (uggh!) and longer on Saturdays (8am-6pm) not the 8am-4pm I was told. The construction site manager I spoke to told me that construction is expected to last at least 28 months and will comprise of a seven story building on Hill Street the depth of the building on the corner and a 24 story tower on Olive and Fifth that will cast a giant shadow, both obstructing almost all south, east and west views that I am paying for. I wish someone had warned me as I am warning you. Stay-A-Way!

Quote:
Comment from Jennifer K. of Metro 417
Business Manager
8/15/2016

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review Nima. We are disappointed to see that you had a less-than-desirable experience with us at Metro 417. We empathize with some of the issues you mention; being that Metro 417 is in a rapidly developing area in downtown Los Angeles , and with that comes some construction and temporary growing pains. We feel that the positives - new homes, retail and restaurants - outweigh the negatives for our neighborhood and residents.
     
     
  #2499  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 4:43 PM
BrandonJXN's Avatar
BrandonJXN BrandonJXN is offline
Ascension
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Riverside, California
Posts: 5,420
Mrs M. Is that Mr. X's wife? What did she think that the parking lot in the middle of DTLA would remain a parking lot forever? She should move to Chatsworth.
     
     
  #2500  
Old Posted Aug 25, 2016, 5:20 PM
blackcat23's Avatar
blackcat23 blackcat23 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 2,445
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:24 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.