HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2401  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 12:10 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
FOUND IT!

• Video Link


He has to be from wherever the stereotypical, mainland Canadian accent comes from right? He makes "out" almost three syllables. Eh-Oh-Oot.

That's just as striking for you all, right? Does anyone talk like that?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2402  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 12:22 AM
FrAnKs's Avatar
FrAnKs FrAnKs is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Ville de Québec / Quebec city
Posts: 5,938
Eh Tabarnak

What do you do of MY mainland accent now?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2403  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 12:29 AM
Wigs's Avatar
Wigs Wigs is offline
Great White North
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: Niagara Region
Posts: 16,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
...

He has to be from wherever the stereotypical, mainland Canadian accent comes from right? He makes "out" almost three syllables. Eh-Oh-Oot.

That's just as striking for you all, right? Does anyone talk like that?
sadly many Ontarians say "out" like that
with years of practice (and earning my Undergrad in Buffalo) I was able to Americanize my pronunciation of the word
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2404  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 1:28 PM
north 42's Avatar
north 42 north 42 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Windsor, Ontario/Colchester, Ontario
Posts: 5,935
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
FOUND IT!

• Video Link


He has to be from wherever the stereotypical, mainland Canadian accent comes from right? He makes "out" almost three syllables. Eh-Oh-Oot.

That's just as striking for you all, right? Does anyone talk like that?
Sounds like how most Canadians say it to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2405  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 2:07 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by north 42 View Post
Sounds like how most Canadians say it to me.
Same for me - I thought maybe it was just poor sound quality on my computer. I certainly only hear one syllable.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2406  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 3:47 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Most of the Canadians I've heard elsewhere don't sound like that to me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2407  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 1:49 PM
Sarah89 Sarah89 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
FOUND IT!

• Video Link


He has to be from wherever the stereotypical, mainland Canadian accent comes from right? He makes "out" almost three syllables. Eh-Oh-Oot.

That's just as striking for you all, right? Does anyone talk like that?
Oh boy, that's not even the strongest version. This is actually really common in southern Ontario. I feel bad because my natural diphthong is closer to "oat" and even worse than this guy.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2408  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:18 PM
ciudad_del_norte's Avatar
ciudad_del_norte ciudad_del_norte is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Amiskwaciwâskahikan/Mohkinstsis
Posts: 1,017
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Most of the Canadians I've heard elsewhere don't sound like that to me.
It doesn't actually sound like a super strong example to me, but its definitely noticeable and sounds pretty central canadian. Typically when I hear that sort of thing its somebody from S. Ontario or Quebec.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2409  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:20 AM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Complete rando:

Does anyone in Newfoundland (or Atlantic Canada for that matter) use the term "mate" at all in their daily convo's?

Just curious.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2410  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:23 AM
Pinus Pinus is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 1,409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarah89 View Post
Oh boy, that's not even the strongest version. This is actually really common in southern Ontario. I feel bad because my natural diphthong is closer to "oat" and even worse than this guy.
There are quite a few Manitoban's that pronounce out, south, house, about, etc. in that manner, including myself. The further west you go, the more Yank-like these words sound unfortunately.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2411  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:20 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Complete rando:

Does anyone in Newfoundland (or Atlantic Canada for that matter) use the term "mate" at all in their daily convo's?

Just curious.
No (at least not in the Maritimes). That doesn't stop some rural people in smaller more isolated fishing villages from sounding like pirates though......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2412  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:36 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
No (at least not in the Maritimes). That doesn't stop some rural people in smaller more isolated fishing villages from sounding like pirates though......
I don't think there is anywhere in Canada where people use the word mate like the Aussies do, in the way that some Canadians might say dude, man or b'y.

I think you may hear people in Canada occasionally joking around (in perhaps a lame Aussie accent) and saying things like "me mates"...

OTOH it's interesting how the Aussie expression (at least I think it's originally Australian) "no worries" has taken root in Canada.

I honestly don't know which region in Canada picked it up first (I first heard it from Newfoundlanders myself) but it's now used by English speakers all over the country.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2413  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 3:53 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ A North American saying "mate" sounds very affected... it makes me think of students back in uni who'd do a study term in Australia and then come back with a full Aussie accent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2414  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:03 PM
Trevor3 Trevor3 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,003
Mate wouldn't be something said naturally. I have heard it, but usually from the "scarf wearing hipster with a pointed beard" type of crowd, though even then not very often.

I have heard "gents" from the crowd that I went to university with from St. John's. Not universally among them, but definitely a few who used it enough for me to take notice.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2415  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 4:06 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,342
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinus View Post
Complete rando:

Does anyone in Newfoundland (or Atlantic Canada for that matter) use the term "mate" at all in their daily convo's?

Just curious.
No. I'm sure someone somewhere here is using it as slang, but I think I can confidently say it has no historical presence here. It's not like words like "full stop", "rubbish", "harrish", "jingles crimers", etc. Most Newfoundlanders don't use those, and raise an eyebrow when they come up, but they legitimately have survived in pockets here.

Excluding all the universal English language terms that are also used here (buddy, bro, dude, whatever), "mate" would almost certainly be "b'y" or "dear/love". "B'y" is never rude, but it is a little more informal. For example, men/women working a cash register or drive through window would never call me "b'y", but 90% of the time would still use a term of endearment, most likely "dear"/"my buddy" if they're young, or "love" if they're old.

Women are often called "girl", especially by each other. The tone is very friendly, it's not like international pop culture references where a man says, "Listen, woman!" or anything like that at all. The people who use "girl" in this way use it quite a lot. When Mom is on the phone with a girlfriend, she might say it a dozen times in a single conversation. "Yes, girl... Listen, I'm telling ya the course is booked up, girl! There's not a tee time left!" If you're not from here, it can seem like people are pretending to be black women or drag queens. It's that kind of tone.

One that has died out a lot (I think women started taking offense to all but the oldest men using it): referencing a woman as "maid" or "pet". You'll still see it when people are being super Newfies in a conversation (like when Oprah talks ghetto), but otherwise it's not common at all anymore.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2416  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 5:02 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
OTOH it's interesting how the Aussie expression (at least I think it's originally Australian) "no worries" has taken root in Canada.
Another similar one is "stoked", which has apparently been used in Australia for a long time. I've found that these sayings are more common in Western Canada.

There's approximately zero overlap between traditional Atlantic Canada specific words or idioms and Australian ones. If anything it should be surprising given the fact that both places had roughly the same sorts of immigrants from around the same periods, but I'm guessing the original demographics actually weren't that similar. And of course the places the immigrants ended up in were quite different as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2417  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 8:46 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,373
Typical Canadian sterotype 'aboot' type words I find are southern Ontario. Most people don't speak that way.

Tabarnak on the otherhand lol Well that's quite common around my part in French Winnipeg.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2418  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 3:56 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
Typical Canadian sterotype 'aboot' type words I find are southern Ontario. Most people don't speak that way.
A different way of pronouncing the OU sound (from Americans) in words like out, about, house, etc. is pretty consistent all across English speaking Canada. Not just in southern Ontario.


It may not be aboot but most anywhere in Canada it's still more aboat than the American abaaht.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2419  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 7:19 PM
rousseau's Avatar
rousseau rousseau is offline
Registered Drug User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Southern Ontario
Posts: 8,216
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Another similar one is "stoked", which has apparently been used in Australia for a long time. I've found that these sayings are more common in Western Canada.
Huh. I've heard that around here for decades, and it seems like it would be an immediate identifier of someone's age (i.e. no teenager today would use it).

There's even a bike shop here called "Totaly Spoke'd," a play on the phrase "I'm totally stoked, dude." Which sounds like something from late 1970s California, meaning it would have spread across North America at the same time, including here.

In fact, I'd hazard a guess that the Australian usage might even be from those 1970s and 80s American movies with surfers in them. Because all Australians surf, right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2420  
Old Posted Aug 10, 2016, 8:07 PM
softee's Avatar
softee softee is offline
Aimless Wanderer
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Downtown Toronto
Posts: 3,434
"Stoked" was really popular with teenagers as recently as 10 years ago, it's died off a lot since then, but it's still used fairly often among teens and young adults.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.