HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2261  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:24 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Road work started at queen, and Lewis. Not sure how long it will take because I've already been told there a little behind...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2262  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 4:55 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Quote:
Originally Posted by tal View Post
Any word on what is happening on the west side of Vaughan Harvey near the railway tracks (north of the storage units, east of Ivan Rand Dr)? They have run a new railway spur, and there's been a crane onsite as well.
Welcome to the forums.

Doesn't this all have to do with the new culvert they're building under the CN main line to deal with overflow issues in Hall's Creek and to decrease flooding issues upstream?
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2263  
Old Posted Aug 3, 2016, 5:28 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Welcome to the forums.

Doesn't this all have to do with the new culvert they're building under the CN main line to deal with overflow issues in Hall's Creek and to decrease flooding issues upstream?
They have to move the tracks over to keep the trains running while the work is happening not sure if the new track will be a new add, or just temporary, and removed after the culvert, and tracks are replaced.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2264  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 1:29 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
According to the T&T, the resurrected Dolma Foods on St George will begin construction within the week.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2265  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 8:39 PM
theshark's Avatar
theshark theshark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern N.-B.
Posts: 1,148
According to the acadie nouvelle, Valmond Robichaud said that he still intends to build his building at main and harper, construction to begin next year, he talks about a 10 story building with retail at the ground level.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actualites/2016/08/04/immeuble-de-10-etages-sera-construit-main/

I think this is an old render, personally, i would rather see something almost up to the road with parking at back
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2266  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 8:59 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by theshark View Post
According to the acadie nouvelle, Valmond Robichaud said that he still intends to build his building at main and harper, construction to begin next year, he talks about a 10 story building with retail at the ground level.

http://www.acadienouvelle.com/actualites/2016/08/04/immeuble-de-10-etages-sera-construit-main/

I think this is an old render, personally, i would rather see something almost up to the road with parking at back
I'm actually quite surprised. This is huge though! Some of the renders that have come out have looked quite nice!
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2267  
Old Posted Aug 4, 2016, 11:43 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
Here's the render from the Acadie Nouvelle article:



This is pretty close to this original rendering from a couple of years ago (except for the parking out front, and a one storey rather than a two storey commercial podium)
.


It could be that this is not the final rendering of this project. Here's a translated quote from the Acadie Nouvelle article:

Quote:
The architects are currently working on the final concept of the future building. The first two floors will be dedicated underground parking. The first level is dedicated to retail and the remaining seven will be apartments or, perhaps, condominiums.
I must admit that I am surprised by Valmond's assertion that they will start construction on this building next year. I think the sign they currently have on site says something to the effect of "will build to suit". I think I will believe it once i see shovels in the ground.......
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2268  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 12:10 AM
theshark's Avatar
theshark theshark is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Northern N.-B.
Posts: 1,148
I hope they desigh something urban rather than sub urban, could be a game changer for that area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2269  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 1:14 AM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
This is quite interesting, especially since the last time this development was talked about was when 55 queen was announced and then suddenly they postponed the development etc. I'm wondering if maybe they were worried about 55 and now that it has become part hotel they feel they can now move forward. Also what ever happened to the Killiam properties project that was planned for ST. George st.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2270  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:30 AM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Here's the render from the Acadie Nouvelle article:



This is pretty close to this original rendering from a couple of years ago (except for the parking out front, and a one storey rather than a two storey commercial podium)
.


It could be that this is not the final rendering of this project. Here's a translated quote from the Acadie Nouvelle article:



I must admit that I am surprised by Valmond's assertion that they will start construction on this building next year. I think the sign they currently have on site says something to the effect of "will build to suit". I think I will believe it once i see shovels in the ground.......
It does, and he was hopping, or so people said he was hoping for another commercial like Staples Business depot.

I'm currently in the same boat with you MonctonRad I'll believe it when I see it being built.



Also is it just me who see's a resemblance from these new plans to both The 10 story apartment building in Dieppe, and 25 Dominion?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2271  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 3:31 AM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
If Lazarus (I mean the Harper Building) arises from the dead, then if you include FiveFive Queen and Horizon Place, that would mean three residential buildings between 8-10 stories tall being built concurrently in the east end of the greater metro downtown area (including Dieppe). Does this mean that Moncton is finally, FINALLY, Finally beginning to grow upwards rather than outwards???

One can only hope that this is the case.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2272  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:48 AM
L'homard L'homard is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1,055
The original construction plans for the Harper Building way back when hinged entirely on the feds leasing offices on the bottom two floors. When that didn't happen - the feds took space on King St. instead - then that was the end of their plans for the immediate future.
So what's changed now? Either he now has a commitment for space from one gov't or another, or is going with strictly commercial on the ground floor, I'm guessing. I don't see any benefit to him from blowing smoke up everyone's asses.
I don't know the guy so this is just my 2 cents CDN.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2273  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 10:54 AM
Feneant Feneant is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 300
Meh, Ill believe it when I see it, didn't he let his permits elapse twice already for this same property?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2274  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 2:58 PM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,762
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Meh, Ill believe it when I see it, didn't he let his permits elapse twice already for this same property?
The first time it was a gorgeous rendering that I can't seem to find any pictures of, but there were multiple options if I recall. The second time was the "final rendering" that was recently posted by MonctonRad and it is, IMHO a little underwhelming.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2275  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 5:11 PM
pierremoncton pierremoncton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Meh, Ill believe it when I see it, didn't he let his permits elapse twice already for this same property?
It was city land that was sold on the condition that it had to be developed within two years. That was in 2008. It lapsed, then the developer was granted one more year in 2011. According to SNB, the property changed hands in May 2012 for the agreed amount ($204k).

I don't know why the city didn't take the land back. There could've been some backroom dealing that didn't require city council's approval, or maybe the city is just ignoring the deadline in order to collect property tax (a paltry $8k/year) and to avoid the legal hassle.

I share the skepticism others are expressing. 25 Dominion still hasn't filled, and the nextdoor lot is now a meadow. The article is confusing too. It's called a ten-storey building, but two of those "storeys" are underground parking.

If a more concrete plan comes out, I'll be making my voice heard in opposition of parking in front of the building, and anyone else with concerns should do the same.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2276  
Old Posted Aug 5, 2016, 8:36 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
I have to ask...

Does anyone know if it's Valmond who owns all the Land Between 165 Main St-King St. Main St-Harper's Ln. Because if that's the case he is paying more then 8000$+/- in taxes.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2277  
Old Posted Aug 7, 2016, 10:56 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is online now
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,291
There is a proposal out there to redevelop this block on St George Street:



The proposal is for a commercial/retail development to be called the Saint George Arches.



This is the property listing:

http://www.loopnet.com/Listing/19890828/321-Saint-George-Street-Moncton-NB/

Quote:
Description

Re-Development a few blocks away from Downtown Centre with retail/office buildings totalling more than 25,000 leasable sf. Space can be sub-divided to fit your needs. Ample free surface parking. Tenant improvements to be negotiated.

Saint George Street, Moncton
I have no further information. This may be nothing more than a trial balloon......
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2278  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 12:25 PM
FarmerTom FarmerTom is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 191
Isn't that the block where the a urban Correl was?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2279  
Old Posted Aug 8, 2016, 11:02 PM
CodiacCanuck's Avatar
CodiacCanuck CodiacCanuck is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Posts: 117
I'm guessing the open alleyway where Keystone Physio currently operates would be access to the parking lot in back.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2280  
Old Posted Aug 9, 2016, 12:56 AM
pierremoncton pierremoncton is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 534
Quote:
Originally Posted by CodiacCanuck View Post
I'm guessing the open alleyway where Keystone Physio currently operates would be access to the parking lot in back.
Keystone is actually in the building on the left. The section under the Keystone sign is already just a corridor all the way to the parking lot. I like the idea of opening it up.

Most of the space in these buildings has been sitting empty for the better part of a decade ever since Barnaby & Co left. Hopefully this reno pans out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:13 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.