HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


    FMC Tower at Cira Centre South in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3281  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:55 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJM View Post
27 floors of steel, one steel truss transition floor, 20 floors concrete and finally the steel crown.
Am I correct in perceiving that there's a two story ceiling in half of the last two concrete floors (before the steel crown)?
     
     
  #3282  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 4:59 PM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
Mr. Technology
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
Am I correct in perceiving that there's a two story ceiling in half of the last two concrete floors (before the steel crown)?
Probably mechanical floors.
Here's a look:
     
     
  #3283  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 11:52 PM
mmikeyphilly mmikeyphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 769
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
Looking at the rendering on the first page, it looks like 8 more floors?
They are not the residences floors.

Remember too, on the first page the link to the "Almanac" of the entire building.


I have to say, this is really a handsome building. It's turning out quite nice.

PS: Also, I wonder if it will switch back to steel, or continue with the concrete?
The rendering appears to show the concrete "missing" ?
Like a lighter steel, similar to Comcast Center?

Bueuler, anyone, anyone?
Thanks for the great photos AJM.!!! The photos explain what I questioned a few pages ago. Thanks!
     
     
  #3284  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:36 AM
domodeez domodeez is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 519
I'll appreciate this tower even more once the elevator and crane are removed and that edge on the south side is made visible. Easy to forget it's there.
     
     
  #3285  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 1:53 PM
cubanChris cubanChris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Center City - Phil-a-delphia
Posts: 347
I looks like the rather rad lighting scheme on this guy ends after the office portion. Though I hold out hope it continues through the apartment/hotel to the top, even if in a less dense fashion. I understand why it wouldn't, but hope it does anyway... at night it is really stunning from a distance.
     
     
  #3286  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 2:35 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
I looks like the rather rad lighting scheme on this guy ends after the office portion. Though I hold out hope it continues through the apartment/hotel to the top, even if in a less dense fashion. I understand why it wouldn't, but hope it does anyway... at night it is really stunning from a distance.
I'm not so sure that there WON'T be a lighting scheme on the upper portion. It's appeared to me on several occasions that they were testing some sort of lighting scheme up there, i.e., lights closer to the floors than the ceilings of each level, changing color and blinking similar to the lighting scheme below. Also, when the lighting scheme for the office portion was first being installed, it was only visible on the bottom half or so of that portion for several weeks before it became visible on the upper half of the office portion, so we may see the upper portion of the building light up any night now. And with modern LED technology, they could have such an exterior lighting scheme on the upper portion without disturbing guests/residents inside the building.

Personally, I think it would be kind of silly to have the final lighting scheme end after the office portion, making the building read as shorter at night than during the day. If anything, it's generally the uppermost portions of skyscrapers that tend to have prominent lighting schemes at night, and not the bottom portions.
     
     
  #3287  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 5:22 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
^^^ In fact, they appear to be testing the upper lighting scheme right now (notice the change in pattern). Maybe we'll see the whole tower lit next week during the DNC?


     
     
  #3288  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 6:57 PM
cubanChris cubanChris is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Center City - Phil-a-delphia
Posts: 347
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
^^^ In fact, they appear to be testing the upper lighting scheme right now (notice the change in pattern). Maybe we'll see the whole tower lit next week during the DNC?
Happy to be proven wrong =)
     
     
  #3289  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:39 PM
JawKneeQuest JawKneeQuest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
^^^ In fact, they appear to be testing the upper lighting scheme right now (notice the change in pattern). Maybe we'll see the whole tower lit next week during the DNC?
I think thats just the clouds reflecting off of the open hotel windows. If you look at photos looking up from the base, you can see that they're open.
     
     
  #3290  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:41 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubanChris View Post
Happy to be proven wrong =)
That'd be a real waste if they ended up NOT continuing the lighting scheme all the way to the top. But it looks like they're testing something up there--unless it's just someone trying to send some sort of secret message.
     
     
  #3291  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:43 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawKneeQuest View Post
I think thats just the clouds reflecting off of the open hotel windows. If you look at photos looking up from the base, you can see that they're open.
I've also seen them change colors in a pattern similar to the lights on the bottom portion, and I think that was before there was even glass on those portions. Pretty sure I posted a photo or two earlier in this thread--I'll try to find them and repost them. Also, as you can see in the photos I posted earlier today, there's definitely a pattern of some sort, and it changed fairly quickly. Those photos are screen-captures from the live webcam on listingcam.com, and were obtained just seconds apart. They also appear to me to be horizontal rectangles at the levels of the floors, and not the shape or location you'd expect for windows. But until we see them in all their glory at night, I guess we can't be sure.

EDIT: Found the posts and photos. The first is from April 1st, and the second is from April 5th. Again, note that the lights are at floor level and are consistently placed, so don't appear to be work lights. Also, it may not be apparent in the photos, but on the live webcam you could see them flickering and changing colors in a consistent pattern, similar to what the lights do on the lower portion of the tower:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7391114&highlight=lighting#post7391114

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7396300&highlight=lighting#post7396300

Last edited by Philly Fan; Jul 21, 2016 at 8:29 PM.
     
     
  #3292  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 4:56 AM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
I've also seen them change colors in a pattern similar to the lights on the bottom portion, and I think that was before there was even glass on those portions. Pretty sure I posted a photo or two earlier in this thread--I'll try to find them and repost them. Also, as you can see in the photos I posted earlier today, there's definitely a pattern of some sort, and it changed fairly quickly. Those photos are screen-captures from the live webcam on listingcam.com, and were obtained just seconds apart. They also appear to me to be horizontal rectangles at the levels of the floors, and not the shape or location you'd expect for windows. But until we see them in all their glory at night, I guess we can't be sure.

EDIT: Found the posts and photos. The first is from April 1st, and the second is from April 5th. Again, note that the lights are at floor level and are consistently placed, so don't appear to be work lights. Also, it may not be apparent in the photos, but on the live webcam you could see them flickering and changing colors in a consistent pattern, similar to what the lights do on the lower portion of the tower:

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7391114&highlight=lighting#post7391114

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?p=7396300&highlight=lighting#post7396300
Nah.
     
     
  #3293  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:10 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Nah.
You had to see the live video.

Anyways, I could be completely wrong.

But then again, maybe not . . . .
     
     
  #3294  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 5:44 PM
JawKneeQuest JawKneeQuest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 88
I remain optimistic as well. I would love to see the lighting continue to the top, but could also understand why the hotel might not want that for its guests.
     
     
  #3295  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:02 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
Quote:
Originally Posted by JawKneeQuest View Post
I would love to see the lighting continue to the top, but could also understand why the hotel might not want that for its guests.
Yep, because we all know that hotels never have an exterior lighting scheme :





     
     
  #3296  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:15 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
^^ Ha! Hopefully that will put an end to the hand-wringing for now.
     
     
  #3297  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 6:32 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,539
^^ Thank you, counselor.

In fact, with this kind of LED lighting (or whatever they're using), a hotel guest would have to stick his or her head out of a window at night to even see--let alone be bothered by--the lighting. And speaking from personal experience, I do NOT recommend sleeping with your head stuck out of a window.

Again, I just can't imagine why they would not continue their fancy lighting scheme all the way up the tower. To me, that just wouldn't make sense.
     
     
  #3298  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 7:39 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
^^It's the value engineering boogeyman, going around stripping off lights, cross-braces, and floors.
     
     
  #3299  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 8:01 PM
JawKneeQuest JawKneeQuest is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 88
The Model that had the lighting scheme....



I still assert the light/dark 3x15 or so pattern you are seeing is windows and clouds....
     
     
  #3300  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 8:31 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
^^I agree that the lighting scheme covers the entire building. I also agree that the photos had to do with the windows. Not sure about the clouds. The residential/hotel component appears to have windows that open in some fashion, from what I could see on my last drive by. I think that's what we're seeing in the photos.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 11:49 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.