HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4541  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 1:48 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4542  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 2:35 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I'm still on the fence with this. The notion of an "upscale pub" is why I'm not dismissing this out of hand but the size and noise management are still concerns. Will wait and see.


An "upscale pub" doesn't need occupancy a few hundred above the seating capacity.....

If the occupancy was close to the seating capacity I wouldn't have concerns about it turning into a night club.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4543  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 3:31 PM
McBoo McBoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 747
Not scaled back - the plan all along.

Ironic eh - the day submissions from the public close, the presumptive owners say ... oh no ...all those complaints ..we never meant 600, just 400.

Or, maybe not ironic.

These guys make Trump look worthy of sainthood.

If they meant 400 all along, withdraw the application, re-submit and give us all a chance to re-submit our letters and thoughts.

That'd be the honourable, ethical thing to do. Think it will happen?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4544  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:20 PM
CMD UW's Avatar
CMD UW CMD UW is offline
Urbis Maximus
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 12,010
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Not scaled back - the plan all along.

Ironic eh - the day submissions from the public close, the presumptive owners say ... oh no ...all those complaints ..we never meant 600, just 400.

Or, maybe not ironic.

These guys make Trump look worthy of sainthood.

If they meant 400 all along, withdraw the application, re-submit and give us all a chance to re-submit our letters and thoughts.

That'd be the honourable, ethical thing to do. Think it will happen?
Do you have any solid proof to back up such allegations?

And they don't have to resubmit their DP, they can amend it. Which happens all the time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4545  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 5:38 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMD UW View Post
Do you have any solid proof to back up such allegations?

And they don't have to resubmit their DP, they can amend it. Which happens all the time.
With your insight - please let us know when it IS amended to 400.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4546  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 6:15 PM
Black Star Black Star is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 7,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Not scaled back - the plan all along.

Ironic eh - the day submissions from the public close, the presumptive owners say ... oh no ...all those complaints ..we never meant 600, just 400.

Or, maybe not ironic.

These guys make Trump look worthy of sainthood.

If they meant 400 all along, withdraw the application, re-submit and give us all a chance to re-submit our letters and thoughts.

That'd be the honourable, ethical thing to do. Think it will happen?

You're reading way to much into this. Its just a bar. Not a conspiracy theory against the COE lol. Stop bring Trump into this...he has enough problems
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4547  
Old Posted Jul 20, 2016, 8:33 PM
McBoo McBoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 747
Except, a lawyer I know expected a scaled back proposal as a bait and switch from the beginning.

And yes, bringing the Trumpster in may be over-the-top.

But now, with public submissions closed they can say, we listened, when in fact our opposition might be just as vigorous at 400 as it was at 600.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4548  
Old Posted Jul 21, 2016, 7:08 PM
Daveography's Avatar
Daveography Daveography is offline
Klatuu Barada Nikto
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: The Island of Misfit Architecture
Posts: 4,483
Hit up Taste of Edmonton for lunch.

Sandwich and Sons - Smoked Meat
Cheesecake Cafe - Stuffed Mushrooms
The Great Indian Factory - Fish Kabob
Packrat Louie - Chicken Masala Perogies
Zinc - Banana Bread Pudding
Italian Bakery - Tiramisu in a Cup

Favourites: Fish Kabobs (really good portion size, too), Banada Bread Pudding
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4549  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 2:24 AM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Brett's menu from this evening's Taste of Edmonton:
- Bison slider w/Gorgonzola blue cheese from The Underground Tap & Grill
- Tequila-lime chicken tacos w/Mexican rice from The Three Amigos Authentic Mexican Restaurant (plus a 15% off gift card for my next visit)
- chicken masala perogies w/caramelized onion & tamarind sour cream from Packrat Louie
- freshly squeezed lemonade from Lucky Lemons
- Tuscan meatloaf skewers from Fantasia Caffe & Catering
- "MAC" scone w/whipped cream and berry compote from Fairmont Hotel Macdonald.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4550  
Old Posted Jul 22, 2016, 1:01 PM
SHOFEAR's Avatar
SHOFEAR SHOFEAR is offline
DRINK
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: City Of Champions
Posts: 8,211
checked out Have Mercy (the old suite 69) next to el cortez the other night. awesome. The wife and I avoid Whyte like the plague.....but I'm pretty sure we'll be going back a few times. Elvis impersonator on Tuesdays..
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4551  
Old Posted Jul 23, 2016, 1:59 PM
buk buk is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBoo View Post
Except, a lawyer I know expected a scaled back proposal as a bait and switch from the beginning.

And yes, bringing the Trumpster in may be over-the-top.

But now, with public submissions closed they can say, we listened, when in fact our opposition might be just as vigorous at 400 as it was at 600.
I don't think it was intentional, but I haven't seen the application. Quite often the occupant load as calculated from the building code is far more than can practically fit. If you were to calculate the occupant load of, for example, a typical grocery store, you get an occupant load of theoretically around 800 people. thats just not reasonable. But again, I have not seen their application.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4552  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 2:08 AM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Taste of Edmonton for supper.

Casa2Doce food truck - pork taco 4/5
Magnificent!

Underground - bison slider 4/5
A favorite from last year

Farrow - roast beef sammich 5/5
Farrow - pulled pork sammich 5/5
I have a tough time deciding which of Farrow's offerings I like better. I'd say the roast beef wins by a gnat's pubic hair

Langano Skies - beef stir-fry with injera 2/5
Meh. I can get better Ethiopian food at Heritage Days.

Hoang Long - lemongrass beef skewer 2/5
This has really gone downhill. I swear there was more fat and gristle on this stick than meat.

Sandwich and Sons - Montreal Smoked Meat sammich 4/5
As good as their restaurant version albeit at a Taste-size.

I really like the layout this year. There's a lot more room to move around and more place to sit, with the only tight spots facing City Hall. I like that they are finally using 102 Ave, that has really helped.

I just wish there were more food trucks. Maybe I'm going blind but I didn't see as many of them this time. They could be at the dozens of other events happening today.

I think I will go back next Saturday.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4553  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 3:04 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
So, is anyone hitting up Heritage Festival next weekend? I am debating if I'll go this year or not. I've always liked going, but I think it's getting stale. It's always the same pavilions in precisely the same locations that offer the exact same food and the same performers and the same arts & crafts year after year after year after year. I'm not sure if I want to endure long lineups for same-old same-old. I've heard nothing about new pavilions or new menu items - I thought they had a lottery for these? Can't they change up the pavilion locations at least? I'm sure many will argue why mess with a formula that attracts 300,000 people a year. But like many things in life, festivals must evolve or they get left behind.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4554  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:17 PM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
Tried the Needle yesterday afternoon before heading out to the football game. Very cool vibe, they served brunch until 2 and my smoked salmon bagel was decent.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4555  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 5:22 PM
BretttheRiderFan's Avatar
BretttheRiderFan BretttheRiderFan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 2,667
I'm super excited to go to Heritage Festival, just because I haven't been before, lol. Making a point to get out to as many of the festivals this summer as possible, and will hit up K-Days tomorrow to check out The Trews.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4556  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 7:06 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
Tried the Needle yesterday afternoon before heading out to the football game. Very cool vibe, they served brunch until 2 and my smoked salmon bagel was decent.
I was there as well...4ish for pints. I did not see you out in front handing out pamphlets or proselytizing....just kidding.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4557  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 7:45 PM
christopherj christopherj is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
I just wish there were more food trucks. Maybe I'm going blind but I didn't see as many of them this time. They could be at the dozens of other events happening today.
Yeah the food trucks are rotating in and out of there - I think there is more later in the week on the part of 102 Ave where there is some sort of competition type thing setup? Which makes sense.

Also of note for those who aren't aware - on July 30th there is "Taste of New" where many of the current places are adding a 3rd item for one day that is brand new to the event. I think it is a way of encourgaging places to roll out different items for future years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4558  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 8:36 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is offline
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,149
^now that is a great idea.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4559  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 8:39 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretttheRiderFan View Post
I'm super excited to go to Heritage Festival, just because I haven't been before, lol. Making a point to get out to as many of the festivals this summer as possible, and will hit up K-Days tomorrow to check out The Trews.
If you're going for the first time, Heritage Festival is definitely a must-see, no question.
They just need to change things up once in a while so that it doesn't get staid, conservative and boring.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4560  
Old Posted Jul 24, 2016, 11:54 PM
mcc16 mcc16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
I really enjoy heritage days. One of my favourites. Not really sure how it can be updated though. Moving tents wouldn't really accomplish anything and would probably just confuse the heritage days faithful. It would be pretty cool if they did a main stage with some real "world music" acts... But probably not possible considering budget constraints. I know that taste of Edmonton has some sort of lottery or waiting list, but I didn't think that heritage days did. From what I had heard it just depends on whether a certain cultural group had the man power and other resources to participate... From what I heard that's why Portugal is sometimes there and sometimes not. And I'm sure it's the same for others? I could be completely wrong though
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:52 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.