HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #521  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 6:54 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Your picture isn't showing up but I've made maps of what I'd envision for this corner before. Here's one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17HFvRbZicBTZcfbnBb27mPLBzNk&usp=sharing
My image roughly resembles what you just posted
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #522  
Old Posted Jul 3, 2016, 9:36 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Your picture isn't showing up but I've made maps of what I'd envision for this corner before. Here's one.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=17HFvRbZicBTZcfbnBb27mPLBzNk&usp=sharing
Do McMillan and Corydon remain one-ways and allow people to enter/exit Donald/Pembina?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #523  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 10:41 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
Do McMillan and Corydon remain one-ways and allow people to enter/exit Donald/Pembina?
No, they're both regular 2 way streets. I might concede a centre turning lane on Corydon for left turns onto Osborne northbound and Pembina Southbound. Corydon would connect with Scott at its eastern end, and I'm open to one lane each direction of access to Donald east of that intersection. I'd also close access to Gertrude from Donald.

For phase 2, I'd consider extending the Donald bridge south, making it a viaduct that crosses River and Stradbrook.
__________________
no
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #524  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 11:45 PM
MG922 MG922 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 164
I have a similar idea about bypassing CC with a tunnel. Basically all through traffic for Donald/Pembina goes through a tunnel, and everything else is an at-grade intersection.

All directions of traffic could turn left and right at intersection with osborne. To get from SB osborne to SB pembina, traffic would go through a 3 direction intersection similar to osborne/jubilee.

Never posted an image before, hopefully this sketch shows up!


https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-SaNoM__jdndmZidWhSVzBkVFU/view?usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #525  
Old Posted Jul 4, 2016, 11:46 PM
MG922 MG922 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 164
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #526  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 12:44 AM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
Picture didn't work but your link to the image did. We're pretty much on the same page. I think keeping Mcmillan a one way is a waste since if it no longer connects to Pembina it won't see a lot of traffic volume, which is why I'd restore it to a 2 way and connect it to the Scott/Corydon intersection in the east. I'd also forgo the slip lanes you've drawn in since we're trying to make an urban space.

One thing you've done a lot better than I, though, is your handling of southbound Osborne to Pembina traffic. I take it you have that traffic turning left from the right hand lane? That's a damn good idea, since drivers here are stupid and would inevitably turn right off Osborne into the left-most westbound turning lane of Corydon and block the other westbound lanes.

The kind of move you make is common on grand European avenues. Nobody turns left from the left lane, but pulls off the main through streets onto a mini service road, then make their left from there. It stops people from queueing up in the middle of traffic to turn left. It's similar in concept to the Jersey Left (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle) but a lot more elegant and appropriate for a city. I'd even consider modelling the turn lane after one of those, placing a "median" of sorts between the turning lane and traffic lanes.

Here's another map
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1zqbPjFa2sP_eZQTwKkog_4fKzqc&usp=sharing

This is fun!
__________________
no
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #527  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 1:44 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post

One thing you've done a lot better than I, though, is your handling of southbound Osborne to Pembina traffic. I take it you have that traffic turning left from the right hand lane? That's a damn good idea, since drivers here are stupid and would inevitably turn right off Osborne into the left-most westbound turning lane of Corydon and block the other westbound lanes.

The kind of move you make is common on grand European avenues. Nobody turns left from the left lane, but pulls off the main through streets onto a mini service road, then make their left from there. It stops people from queueing up in the middle of traffic to turn left. It's similar in concept to the Jersey Left (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jughandle) but a lot more elegant and appropriate for a city. I'd even consider modelling the turn lane after one of those, placing a "median" of sorts between the turning lane and traffic lanes.
It's somewhat reminiscent of the hook turns that you see in Melbourne's CBD. Bizarre to watch at first, but it makes a lot of sense. Remember they drive on the other side of the road, so lefts are rights, etc...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HdoBNDYBl1A

Lived there for 3 years in the late '90s. Great city.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #528  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 3:47 PM
MG922 MG922 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 164
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Picture didn't work but your link to the image did. We're pretty much on the same page. I think keeping Mcmillan a one way is a waste since if it no longer connects to Pembina it won't see a lot of traffic volume, which is why I'd restore it to a 2 way and connect it to the Scott/Corydon intersection in the east. I'd also forgo the slip lanes you've drawn in since we're trying to make an urban space.
I envisioned making Mcmillan a pedestrian/bike/patio friendly space, but after thinking about it, it would just end up being a driver's shortcut from SB Donald to Osborne. I like your idea of making Mcmillan a two-way and connecting with scott. That also puts another intersection with osborne. I think it would work better with no left turns (only allowing NB osborne right turn to mcmillan, mcmillan right turn to NB osborne, and SB osborne straight thru).

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
One thing you've done a lot better than I, though, is your handling of southbound Osborne to Pembina traffic. I take it you have that traffic turning left from the right hand lane? That's a damn good idea, since drivers here are stupid and would inevitably turn right off Osborne into the left-most westbound turning lane of Corydon and block the other westbound lanes.
Exactly! Yeah I figured some sort of signalized intersection where the right lane can turn left across corydon to SB Pembina. Not exactly sure how that would work. The hook turn would be pretty cool to see, but lots of drivers would be completely lost trying to figure that out!!

That or have 2 lanes with a dedicated left and then a left/through lane, but that's not ideal for through traffic to Corydon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #529  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:16 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Now to get rid of that hideous strip mall.

Gas Station Arts Centre expansion and renovation gets a green light

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/gas-station-theatre-1.3665195
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #530  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 7:27 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Fingers crossed that the Gas Station Theatre project gets a green light. I've moaned about it before, but I find it a bit irksome that for all of the development in Osborne Village over the past decade, next to none of it has actually taken place on Osborne itself... this would really provide a shot in the arm, not to mention a serious boost to the signature corner of River and Osborne.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #531  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 9:15 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
I share the frustration over the lack of change along Osborne.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #532  
Old Posted Jul 5, 2016, 11:38 PM
optimusREIM's Avatar
optimusREIM optimusREIM is offline
There is always a way
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 3,282
Fingers crossed indeed. This would be a game changer
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #533  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 5:26 AM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
It's kind of nice that the biggest things to happen in years (save for Shoppers expanding...) are happening at either end of the strip. I think that's great, because it will hopefully allow any future development to be spread out all along rather than cluster.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #534  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 12:06 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Maybe we spoke too soon about the Gas Station Theatre project... according to the Free Press, it's going to be downscaled due to lack of funding:

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/local/o...mes-up-short-at-city-hall-385639051.html

Anything is better than nothing, but I have to admit anything short of what was illustrated in the rendering would be a bit of a disappointment.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #535  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 2:22 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Hopefully they can make it work.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #536  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 3:12 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
I'm sorry, but $480,000 less funding for a $27 million dollar project should not have to make it downscale, it's clearly just a play to get more for the city. If they're doing a bunch of fundraising anyway, just do a little bit more.

I really didn't like the tone of that article and headline. The city gave them a HUGE tax break for 10 years, I think that's pretty damn great. Compare it to the CBC article that is positive.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #537  
Old Posted Jul 6, 2016, 4:35 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Agreed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #538  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 12:24 AM
Ando Ando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,723
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #539  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:07 PM
Cyro's Avatar
Cyro Cyro is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 5,197
^ Unfortunate..but moving on..

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/banana-boat-winnipeg-ice-cream-shop-osborne-1.3674455



Quote:
He said the owner of the land Banana Boat sits on is constructing a two-storey building that will house apartments and a new Banana Boat on the main floor.....
__________________
♥ ♥
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #540  
Old Posted Jul 12, 2016, 3:38 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
I would like to see more new (and architecturally pleasing) construction along Osborne.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.