Quote:
Originally Posted by GarryEllice
No, building a sprawling suburb in the centre of the city would not be nice at all. And, again, there's already plenty of empty land in central Winnipeg. (I wasn't talking about redeveloping heritage buildings.) South Portage is full of surface lots. Chinatown is full of vacant lots. South Point Douglas is a blank slate. A little farther out there's the Parker lands and vast expanses of post-industrial land in St. Boniface. Empty land is the one thing we already have in abundance.
Whyte Ridge is low-density suburban sprawl, which is what you get when land is cheap. Dense development happens when land is expensive. Creating a huge amount of new cheap land is counterproductive if we want dense development to happen in an economically natural way.
|
I apologise you appear to have the wrong idea of what I was getting at, I didn't make it very clear.
I'm not proposing we build Sage Creek where the CP yard currently is... That would be ALMOST as stupid as building Sage Creek in the first place, building it closer to the core would be the only advantage of doing that.
In a healthy progressive community new urban communities can be built on large areas of reclaimed land. A quick Google search can yield many results of this around the world. Here's one in Halifax I've been following for a while.
http://www.kingswharf.ca/about/
As for the part highlighted above - Other's here can better explain the futility of expecting high land value in a city that has endless expansion potential, in a city that is currently letting that endless expansion happen, and a city that has let itself become a slave to cars. I want to live in a world where as of the end of this sentence no more suburbs will be built in Winnipeg but that's not going to happen...... I fail to see how building and maintaining several bridges/underpasses/tunnels over/under the CP yard is more economical and natural than moving the yards and using the land. I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how many people work in the rail industry in Winnipeg... I imagine if we did go full idiocy and build Sage Creek 2.0 on the CP yards the tax income from that land alone will make up for whatever lost economic 'benefit' we get from it.
Again, in a healthy progressive community amazing things can be done with infill property. We don't even need to look at other cities to find examples of what COULD be, Winnipeg had its own proposal that could be a good example of land use on the CP yards -
http://cibinel.com/project/polo-park-stadium-site-redevelopment-plan/
But I guess communities that fight to have billion's of dollars of infrastructure built to avoid trains rather than moving them out of the city get abandoned Target buildings instead eh?