HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4421  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 8:26 PM
Skyguy_7 Skyguy_7 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 2,657
^You left out the juiciest part, 'Vic...

"..to buy the 36-story tower and nearby land for about $240 million and embark on a major redevelopment"
per Crains
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4422  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 9:05 PM
emathias emathias is offline
Adoptive Chicagoan
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: River North, Chicago, Illinois
Posts: 5,150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
I love all the new buildings and all, but I highly doubt Chicago can absorb all these new apts. I just do not see it. the affordable housing crowd should love it though, cause when this bubble pops...there will be plenty of affordable units.
And yet, most of them are being filled ahead of schedule. Jobs growth in downtown is as strong as its ever been. Manufacturing and other non-construction blue collar work is not doing particularly well, but many other areas that tend to support upper-middle-class professional-class populations are doing well in the city.

Last edited by emathias; Jun 22, 2016 at 9:27 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4423  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 10:01 PM
UPChicago's Avatar
UPChicago UPChicago is offline
Vote for me for Mayor!
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 801
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVictor1 View Post
All I need to know to in order to be unenthused.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4424  
Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 11:54 PM
Kngkyle Kngkyle is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,050
Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
All I need to know to in order to be unenthused.
The current Block 37 owner is not the original Block 37 developer. I wouldn't say it's suggestive of anything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4425  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:24 AM
Notyrview Notyrview is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: New York City
Posts: 1,648
I think they know it's the current developer, that's the point. Block 37 looks like 🞵🞵🞵🞵.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4426  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:42 AM
the urban politician the urban politician is offline
The City
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Chicago region
Posts: 21,329
But most of B37 was built by the previous developer.

The best part (the new residential highrise) is being developed by the current owner. I think there is hope
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4427  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 1:30 AM
chicubs111 chicubs111 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 1,249
^ CIM group is a reputable development group...we should be happy they have the tribune project... They have deep pockets as well... they took over Block 37 and did a decent job considering what they had to work with at the time...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4428  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:21 AM
BVictor1's Avatar
BVictor1 BVictor1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Chicago
Posts: 10,831
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyguy_7 View Post
^You left out the juiciest part, 'Vic...

"..to buy the 36-story tower and nearby land for about $240 million and embark on a major redevelopment"
per Crains
Hard to do all that on my phone
__________________
titanic1
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4429  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:52 AM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
CIM + Golub. I'm worried we are getting a (maybe more than one) SCB special next to an iconic building in a prime spot. At least with O'Donnell (Riverside development) I'm sure we'd get something solid from Goettsch.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4430  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 6:23 AM
denizen467 denizen467 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Chicago
Posts: 3,212
Not as 🞵🞵🞵🞵 a topic, but 2950 Sheridan, a 19-story shorty, already has plenty of curtainwall installed, despite being barely halfway erected.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4431  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 12:38 PM
Ned.B Ned.B is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 621
Quote:
Originally Posted by denizen467 View Post
Not as 🞵🞵🞵🞵 a topic, but 2950 Sheridan, a 19-story shorty, already has plenty of curtainwall installed, despite being barely halfway erected.
Yes, I noticed that they had parts of two floors clad Monday night, but it was too dark to take a photograph. I believe that the building was up to floor 11 or 12.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4432  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:09 PM
Chi-Sky21 Chi-Sky21 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,354
Quote:
Originally Posted by emathias View Post
And yet, most of them are being filled ahead of schedule. Jobs growth in downtown is as strong as its ever been. Manufacturing and other non-construction blue collar work is not doing particularly well, but many other areas that tend to support upper-middle-class professional-class populations are doing well in the city.
Most of them SO FAR. There are so many going up right now and or planned to start soon i just do not see Chicago being able to fill them. I hope I am wrong believe me. But it does concern me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4433  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:46 PM
spyguy's Avatar
spyguy spyguy is offline
THAT Guy
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 5,946
61 W Erie - 10 units, 11 parking spaces

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4434  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:11 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chi-Sky21 View Post
Most of them SO FAR. There are so many going up right now and or planned to start soon i just do not see Chicago being able to fill them. I hope I am wrong believe me. But it does concern me.
Do you have any actual data to back up your feeling, or are you just "feeling it" and really have no idea based off of your own view of what's happening in Chicago? Here's the news for you - there continues to be people to be hiring well paying positions in Chicago, contrary to popular belief, and that includes all those startups as well as established companies. Unless it's a super expensive apartment on the level of a luxury Manhattan apartment - say over $4K/month for a 1 bedroom, I don't see any of the upcoming apartments in Chicago not at least half way filling up. We'll see how long that lasts though.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19ua8oOEGHpKbeVJTREPhqG1PLB0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4435  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:30 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
^ Half-way filling up doesn't come close to making the numbers work, fyi.

There will be meaningful oversupply in the downtown apartment market (not at all necessarily a bad thing I'd point out - it will be a great thing for tenants, as they'll experience more attractive pricing, special deals and choice at some point coming up) - as I've been saying, it's only a matter of when. It could be 18 months hence.....it could be 36 or perhaps as much as 48.........condo conversions are quite likely to mitigate to some extent, however there will still be oversupply later this cycle (or at its conclusion) and rents (effective/'economic' rents for sure - but also asking rents, as developers/owners will try very hard, but will be unable to prevent it) will fall outright......nothing to be terrified of, folks - this is Chicago - it's happened before (in all property types), and it will happen again......
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4436  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:31 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
61 W Erie - 10 units, 11 parking spaces

This looks interesting......do you know who the architect is?
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4437  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:35 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
^ Half-way filling up doesn't come close to making the numbers work, fyi.
FYI I was making a statement in general, it's not based off of hard data "ONLY HALF OF THESE WILL FILL UP." You need to understand when someone is saying something that's completely secondary to the point. I do not believe that the recent apartments coming to Chicago will not fill mostly up. There continues to be jobs added to Chicago, as well as people moving up who can afford them and want to live there.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19ua8oOEGHpKbeVJTREPhqG1PLB0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4438  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:35 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
CIM + Golub. I'm worried we are getting a (maybe more than one) SCB special next to an iconic building in a prime spot. At least with O'Donnell (Riverside development) I'm sure we'd get something solid from Goettsch.


Definitely not an unreasonable worry. It's Golub's (not CIM's) relationship with SCB of course that pushes them to be a probable immediate frontrunner to land the commission here (who knows though - they might always surprise with a different selection).

I'd also point out that SCB is capable of stepping it up from their more common 'phoning it in' designs....they do have some talent for sure - they just don't nearly often enough truly deploy these talents and apply themselves..........
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4439  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:36 PM
SamInTheLoop SamInTheLoop is offline
you know where I'll be
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 5,578
Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
FYI I was making a statement in general, it's not based off of hard data "ONLY HALF OF THESE WILL FILL UP." You need to understand when someone is saying something that's completely secondary to the point. I do not believe that the recent apartments coming to Chicago will not fill mostly up. There continues to be jobs added to Chicago, as well as people moving up who can afford them and want to live there.

You could reduce your posts and avg length by half - there's a lot of filler that's not necessary, just fyi.....
__________________
It's simple, really - try not to design or build trash.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4440  
Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 3:54 PM
marothisu marothisu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chicago
Posts: 6,931
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamInTheLoop View Post
You could reduce your posts and avg length by half - there's a lot of filler that's not necessary, just fyi.....
True, but there are things that need to be said sometimes, and explanations for people who don't understand what's actually happening in the city economically (many people). Unless you have hard data to suggest that people can't afford all of these, there's absolutely no point in saying it.
__________________
Chicago Maps:
* New Construction https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=19ua8oOEGHpKbeVJTREPhqG1PLB0&usp=sharing
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:36 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.