HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:53 AM

Ottawa-Vanier by-election

So, with Ottawa-Vanier MP Mauril Belanger terminally ill, and MPP Madelleine Meilleur announcing her immediate retirement, it appears Ottawa-Vanier will have both a provincial by-election AND a federal by-election around the same time.

As the riding is a Liberal bastion, the real contest will be for the Liberal nomination.. and with two nominations open, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

EDIT: Fleury is reportedly considering entering the ring for one of them. What happens if a City Councillor ditches midway through their term? I've actually never heard of a municipal by-election before.
"It is only because the control of the means of production is divided among many people acting independently that nobody has complete power over us, that we as individuals can decide what to do with ourselves." - Friedrich Hayek

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 9:47 AM
Living With My Mother

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc View Post
So, with Ottawa-Vanier MP Mauril Belanger terminally ill, and MPP Madelleine Meilleur announcing her immediate retirement, it appears Ottawa-Vanier will have both a provincial by-election AND a federal by-election around the same time.

As the riding is a Liberal bastion, the real contest will be for the Liberal nomination.. and with two nominations open, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

EDIT: Fleury is reportedly considering entering the ring for one of them. What happens if a City Councillor ditches midway through their term? I've actually never heard of a municipal by-election before.
As I understand it, either a by-election is called or the mayor appoints someone.

There was a municipal by-election in the briddlewood ward of the former city of Kanata back in the mid-90s. The result was, believe it or not, a tie.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Yes it has. Former Councillor Herb Kreling of Orleans Ward (Ward 1) resigned in the middle of the term to accept a position as a Justice of the Peace. In fact, he resigned one year prior to the 2006 municipal election and there were people complaining why have a by-election one year prior to an general municipal election. That was how Bob Monette got elected into office.

If anyone wants to find Herb Kreling, he often sits in Courtroom 5 at the Ottawa Courthouse (the Remand Court at 8:30am and Video Remand Court at 1:30pm). He was there yesterday.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 1:24 PM

Quote:
That's one way to get rid of a useless bit of council deadwood, but at the expense of inflicting him on a higher order of government.

Yes, there'd be a municipal by-election.

Maybe with an impending series of city, provincial, and municipal by-elections in Vanier and the east side of the core, there'll finally be some political attention paid to transit issues, but it'll probably end up being a forum to promote LRT to Barrhaven.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Ontario > Ottawa-Gatineau > Business, Politics & the Economy