HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9921  
Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 5:53 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
330 St Mary re-clad will look very similar to the existing. Vertical lines will be accented. Colour appears to be the close if not the same from the grainy render I've seen.
     
     
  #9922  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:44 AM
Xtoval's Avatar
Xtoval Xtoval is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 50
St.Mary's Road

It would be a tragedy to demolish that lovely Spanish colonial style house on St. Mary's Road. What for? A derivative-looking accountants' office! If the zoning would allow this, then the zoning is wrong. I am frankly disappointed in the trueviking who usually nails it on the head. Not in this case.
     
     
  #9923  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:32 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
That place is a dump. And Winnipeg is not a Spanish colony.
     
     
  #9924  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 1:59 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Busy arterials like St. Mary's are exactly where businesses and other commercial/institutional uses should go. Maybe in the 30s it was an OK street to live on in a single family home, but not now with high traffic volumes buzzing by.
     
     
  #9925  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:17 PM
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Assiniboia, Man.
Posts: 2,873
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtoval View Post
It would be a tragedy to demolish that lovely Spanish colonial style house on St. Mary's Road. What for? A derivative-looking accountants' office! If the zoning would allow this, then the zoning is wrong. I am frankly disappointed in the trueviking who usually nails it on the head. Not in this case.
Now that you've described which property we're talking about, I know which one is in question.

I've seen the huge Zoning signs in the front yard. And I remarked very recently to a friend that it's a nice looking house.

Where can I sign to prevent it from being changed/demolished?

I still stand by my original comment that that more modern looking building would be welcome anywhere in the city.

But now that I know where they want to put it at the moment, not at 330 St. Mary's Rd.
__________________
Buh-bye
     
     
  #9926  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:24 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ What you aren't recognizing here is that preventing the new development does not mean that the existing house gets fixed up. More than likely it will just keep getting worse, because no one with the means to pay for a pricy renovation wants to live right on St. Mary's Road.
     
     
  #9927  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:27 PM
LilZebra LilZebra is offline
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus
 
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: Assiniboia, Man.
Posts: 2,873
^^^

Yes, but this is Winnipeg (we're not some small little village), and that house is not really that large, or is it?

Someone mentioned 2,800 sq. ft. Is that the current house?

Since moving to St. Vital in 2014, I pass it by almost daily, and I admire that second storey Spanish balcony.

I don't know why there wouldn't be anyone interested in living in there and want to maintain it.
__________________
Buh-bye
     
     
  #9928  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:34 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
It's basically a regular house with a different roof. Haven't been inside. But judging by the building exterior, it looks like a dump. The balcony looks to be falling off the building.

Existing house is ~1200 sq ft.
     
     
  #9929  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:40 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is online now
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
I like that house, and would like to see it stay in the hopes it can be fixed up. Does anyone here have more knowledge on the condition of the house? Cosmetically it needs work for sure.

That being said I don't live around there, but the people that do have spoken - overwhelmingly. Obviously they would like to see the house stay too.

I have to agree with Lilzebra that replacing that particular house with a generic bungalow certainly seems like a waste. I really don't see any benefit here.
     
     
  #9930  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:47 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ If that home were situated 500 feet south, I'm sure it would be beautifully restored. But by virtue of its location, no one is going to sink big dollars into it, and that's likely what it would take given its apparent condition... who wants to live there with all those cars roaring by?
     
     
  #9931  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 2:57 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
The new exterior for 360 Main is going up on the Fort side. Looks nice.

     
     
  #9932  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:01 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winnipeg Grump View Post
The new exterior for 360 Main is going up on the Fort side. Looks nice.

Ugh. url for Flickr not resolving. Rookie at this.

Last edited by Cyro; Jun 9, 2016 at 9:15 PM. Reason: image not working
     
     
  #9933  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:07 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,934
Picture by ^^^ this guy ^^^

How about this:

__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Jun 9, 2016 at 4:20 PM.
     
     
  #9934  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:09 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
It's a single family dump old house lol When was it built, 50's 60's? Not like this is some historic downturn turn of century building.
     
     
  #9935  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:11 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Nice pic, grump. That's quite an improvement... although I'm wondering how the black and blue colors will mesh at a larger scale.

Is that big slab of brown corrugated metal going to be replaced with the new cladding as well? I don't get why that's even there.
     
     
  #9936  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:14 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,368
Ah the brown... Hopefully the 4 storey tall bit gets dealt with at least.
     
     
  #9937  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:19 PM
Winnipeg Grump's Avatar
Winnipeg Grump Winnipeg Grump is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 709
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
Picture by ^^^ this guy ^^^

How about this:

Thanks, Biff.
So, what's the trick? I used the IMG tags, a public Flckr post. FAQ was no help...
     
     
  #9938  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:36 PM
trueviking's Avatar
trueviking trueviking is offline
surely you agree with me
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: winnipeg
Posts: 15,080
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtoval View Post
It would be a tragedy to demolish that lovely Spanish colonial style house on St. Mary's Road. What for? A derivative-looking accountants' office! If the zoning would allow this, then the zoning is wrong. I am frankly disappointed in the trueviking who usually nails it on the head. Not in this case.
a tragedy?

its a house....it can be demolished at any time. It is a disaster inside but that doesn't matter. You cant protect houses just because they have a different look....nobody is going to buy it and sink $100k into it to get a house on a freeway....its value is the location, not the house.

There is nothing anyone can do about stopping demolition, if that's what the owner wants....the option is allowing commercial or multi-family housing.

would you appreciate someone stopping you from demolishing and building a new house on your property?
     
     
  #9939  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:50 PM
Xtoval's Avatar
Xtoval Xtoval is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 50
It's tragic because it is demolition by neglect. I understand the property rights issue and I'm not saying it is economic to rehabilitate the house. But it is a unique piece of architecture that will be lost. I can understand why the neighbors want to protect it.
     
     
  #9940  
Old Posted Jun 9, 2016, 3:51 PM
emeraldeyes's Avatar
emeraldeyes emeraldeyes is offline
Aspiring.
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 192
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
It's a single family dump old house lol When was it built, 50's 60's? Not like this is some historic downturn turn of century building.
circa 1927 I believe from what I read on the Change.org petition notes

I've adored that house since childhood.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:25 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.