Quote:
Originally Posted by iamrobk
I lived in UC for ~3 years, can you post examples of what you're talking about? I can't think of what you're referring to off the top of my head and now I'm curious.
|
Well, I didn't take it (came from NakedPhilly), but this is an example of what I'm talking about, at 46th and Walnut:
http://www.ocfrealty.com/sites/www.ocfrealty.com/files/images/IMG_6649.JPG
http://www.ocfrealty.com/naked-philly/we...-housing-building-appears-at-46th-walnut
There's tons more stuff like this going up west and northwest of Penn and Drexel. It's really very sad. The worst kind of street-killing non-architecture. It borders on criminal, in my opinion.
An empty lot would actually be better than this.
It really is surprising and disappointing in this day and age that this can be built anywhere near Center City or University City.
I'm surprised Penn has not tried to prevent this kind of development because it reverses much of what Penn is trying to do in terms of livening and reducing crime in the streets in the area.
The
only redeeming attribute of these shed structures is that they are so cheap that they will likely need to be torn down in a very short period of time.
Or they will just fall down or burn down.
That this now exists is also a testament to the the quality of person and politician Jannie Blackwell is.
She has not lifted a finger to make quality development easier in West Philly (look at the costly, possibly deal-killing multi-year struggle U3 Ventures had to go through at Clark Park).
Given the outdated zoning that Blackwell refuses to update in her district, it would appear that the easiest kind of stuff to slap up by right is this pre-slum housing.
Am I the only person on here who is totally disgusted by this kind of cynical profiteering development?