Quote:
Originally Posted by bawdycav
I disagree. Anyone that really knows Boston, knows its poverty rates are chart topping. White folks see what they want to see downtown. But Boston is awash in poverty and income disparity.
|
On an anecdotal level, Boston simply does not have anywhere close to the scale of run down slums that cover a very large portion of Philly. Our ring of slums is pretty mind blowing in its extent. Other than those among us who have been lobotomized, we can all see this fairly plainly. But here are some facts:
Philly city poverty rate is about 26%, metro about 13%.
Boston's city rate about 22%, metro rate about 10%.
Philly median per capita income is about $23K in the City, $33K in the metro.
Boston's about $36K in the City, $40K in the metro.
Pretty stark difference. The facts clearly bear out that Boston is a much richer city. I'm not making a value statement here. I don't think Boston is better because it is richer, but it is
much richer.
http://censusreporter.org/profiles/16000US4260000-philadelphia-pa/#income
http://censusreporter.org/profiles/16000US2507000-boston-ma/#income
Not only is there a greater proportion of impoverished people in Philly, but though I am no demographer, I think the census data suggests that the impoverished of Philly are more deeply impoverished.
Again, no shock here. Why fight the facts? Accept the truth and it will set you free.