Quote:
Originally Posted by 1overcosc
Just because it's a high rise doesn't mean it's not residential. Millions of Canadians live in high rises. They're people too.... something all these NIMBYs seem to forget.
|
I stand corrected. I should have written that it is going from a predominantly 2-story neighbourhood to one filled with 45-story buildings. But I also stand behind my view that this is excessive.
The term NIMBY is thrown around here, and elsewhere far too often, as an attempt to shut criticism down rather than engage in actual discussion. I am actually all for densification in my backyard. I recognize that this is the way forward, and that done properly it can come with lots of benefits including increased facilities and more walkability. But that does not mean that bigger is always better and might is always right. I don't agree with the extreme way in which development is being done here, or feel that developers and city planners even have community (current and future) interests front and centre. (See huge amount of surface parking and vacant buildings blighting this neighbourhood because developers would rather wait 10 years to build a 45-story building rather than put in a lower rise now; see the fact that a 10-story building is going up at the end of a super narrow dead end road with no consideration for the traffic consequences will be as annoying for current residents as it will be for future residents of said high rise, etc).
People use NIMBY to dismiss local expertise and experience out of hand, but the people who live in the neighbourhood and who know what is wrong with these streets bring valid concerns that, if listened to, can help make sure that this community will work well when all those high-rise residents do inevitably become our neighbours.