HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #301  
Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 7:59 AM
Spork's Avatar
Spork Spork is offline
Shoebox Dweller
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,784
A great sunset tonight. I could see those amazing beams of light from my apartment, but couldn't get a good shot with my ancient (Read: 3 year old) smartphone camera.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #302  
Old Posted Feb 29, 2016, 8:47 AM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spork View Post
A great sunset tonight. I could see those amazing beams of light from my apartment, but couldn't get a good shot with my ancient (Read: 3 year old) smartphone camera.
Yeah my shot was on a phone (Nexus 6p). They've come a long way, especially in dark shots.

Quoting for the new page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
Took this in Steveston today

Steveston, BC, sunset by chrisjohann, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #303  
Old Posted Mar 1, 2016, 8:43 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
For some time now I have been taking photos of our suburban town centers to come up with photosets to represent them. I will get started with a mix of DLSR and cell phone photos of a beautiful summer day in North Vancouver (part 1). Enjoy.

Burrard Inlet separates Vancouver from the North Shore.



Burrard Inlet is busy body of water with many modes traffic traversing it.





North Vancouver skyline.



Lions Gate Bridge leads over to North and West Vancouver.



Ironworkers Memorial Bridge and the train bridge across the inlet.





City of North Vancouver's centre is Upper Lonsdale.













Also North Vancouver is seeing new developments with lots of construction taking place in the Lonsdale area.



North Vancouver is not known for having tall towers. These are examples of the tallest towers in town.







North Vancouver is a very green city with lots of lush parks and streets.





Lonsdale Avenue is the city's main street.





The second part will concentrate on the Lower Lonsdale area. Available soon.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #304  
Old Posted Mar 2, 2016, 12:16 AM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
You know I approve
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #305  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 2:40 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
You know I approve
Yeah, I was counting on that being the case.

I will post the Lower Lonsdale photos later this week. I meant to post them already last summer, but I have thousands of photos of anything that I wanted to post already long time ago... Just too much going on!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #306  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 6:09 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
And here's the second part: Lower Lonsdale. It's a fantastic area to walk around on a warm summer day with many restaurants going up. Definitely worth the short SeaBus ride from Downtown Vancouver!

View from end of the pier.





Huge yacht docked next to the SeaBus terminal.



View towards Downtown Vancouver.



SeaBus



New buildings in Lower Lonsdale area.









Also this part of North Vancouver is very green.







Lonsdale Quay is a tiny mall connected to the SeaBus terminal.









View of the Burrard Inlet from the small tower.





What a day!





And there you have it, ladies and gentlemen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #307  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 5:41 PM
christmas christmas is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 367
That is beautiful Klazu!! How do you take such amazing pictures? Do you ahve more of them? I would love to see more!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #308  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 10:56 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Thank you, christmas. There is no trickery to taking photos - just lots and lots of practice through trial and error. Of course it helps the end result when one bothers running them through Photoshop to enhance the colors and straighten the vertical lines etc. small. It's lots of work with dozens of photos, but the results are worth it.

I have hundreds if not thousands of photos of different topics and locations that I would love to be sharing in here. I work through my backlog (and constantly add to it) as quickly as I can, but it takes time.

All those photos were from one single walk last summer, so no further North Vancouver photos at this time.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #309  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 11:52 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,057
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
Thank you, christmas. There is no trickery to taking photos - just lots and lots of practice through trial and error. Of course it helps the end result when one bothers running them through Photoshop to enhance the colors and straighten the vertical lines etc. small. It's lots of work with dozens of photos, but the results are worth it.

I have hundreds if not thousands of photos of different topics and locations that I would love to be sharing in here. I work through my backlog (and constantly add to it) as quickly as I can, but it takes time.

All those photos were from one single walk last summer, so no further North Vancouver photos at this time.
Got anything else? Steveston, Delta, Fraser Valley, skyline and fog shots ...? whatever photos you post always greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #310  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 12:17 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
Got anything else? Steveston, Delta, Fraser Valley, skyline and fog shots ...? whatever photos you post always greatly appreciated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klazu View Post
I have hundreds if not thousands of photos of different topics and locations that I would love to be sharing in here. I work through my backlog (and constantly add to it) as quickly as I can, but it takes time.
Thanks for nice word, trofirhen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #311  
Old Posted Mar 8, 2016, 9:57 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
If you are looking to do something fun on the weekend, head out to South Delta to check out the O.W.L. bird rehabilitation society It's a nice small community in a nice rural setting.









During summer they have daily tours and on winter weekends there are tours between 10am and 3pm. Tours are personal and cost nothing to take!



There are several hawks and falcons living at O.W.L.







Different eagle species are also present.





The best thing are still the owls, which there are eight different species! Such an adorable little animals.









Lunch is served.





Also few vultures live there and they are always hungry.



The place is very popular with families and schools, and it was busy on Saturday.



Definitely worth 30-60 minutes of your weekend if you are in the area and want to see some beautiful birds of prey upclose!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #312  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 9:40 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Boundary Bay Airport (YDT) in Delta is Canada's 7th busiest airport in terms of airplane movements - even ahead of Ottawa's YOW and many other!











Not everything out of YDT is only general avatiation, though. There are also few scheduled routes to Victoria and Nanaimo.





The terminal building is actually verynew and modern for such a small airport!





Nearby there are some also huge McMansions that are very typical of Metro Vancouver.







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #313  
Old Posted Apr 27, 2016, 1:39 AM
BobLoblawsLawBlog's Avatar
BobLoblawsLawBlog BobLoblawsLawBlog is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 449
Some pictures of the Oakalla neighbourgood in Burnaby I took on April 24 2016.





These stairs are from the original Oakalla Prison stairs from the 1910s





Reply With Quote
     
     
  #314  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 3:45 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Just how crazy it is to look out of your window and see Mount Rainier. No, I don't mean Mount Baker (3,286m / 10,781ft), which is only 100 kilometers away and an ever-present backdrop for Metro Vancouver.



I really mean — Mount Rainier which is behind Seattle, some 286 kilometers away!

Mount Rainier is actually so far away that due to Earth's curvature only the very tip of this giant (4,392m / 14,411ft) can be seen this far.

Yeah, I really love our new apartment's crazy view.



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #315  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 4:54 AM
Marshal Marshal is offline
perhaps . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,493
Best shots ever of that "impossible" view. Can you see it easily with the naked eye? I climbed that thing a decade ago and the views were as you would expect. If I knew I could see all the way back home it would have been even better. The whole Fraser Valley from high up on Baker was an insanely cool view. Maybe Vancouver could be identified from Rainier on a clear crisp night.
Thanks for the photos.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #316  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:10 AM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Wow, you have climbed Mount Rainier itself? Doesn't that require like proper mountaineering gear and everything? In any case big respect to you!

As soon as we moved in I have been keeping an eye on for Rainier, but didn't see it before yesterday. During day time I still tought it was just a mirage, but the cooler temperatures and alpenglow in the evening made the air clearer and confirmed that it indeed is Rainier! So yes, you can see it with naked eye, but it is very, very distant.

I doubt one could see Downtown Vancouver from there, but you could see North Shore Mountains and maybe, just maybe Metrotown (with some very good binoculars). Individual buildings are just so tiny in comparison to the huge mountain, which itself appears tiny, so...

We can also see the Olympic mountain range from here. The whole range has currently such a beautiful crisp white snow top. More photos to come.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #317  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 7:55 AM
Marshal Marshal is offline
perhaps . . .
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,493
Thanks, but Rainier is mostly just a slug-fest. It does require proper mountaineering gear and training, you need to know avalanche and glacier navigation/rescue techniques, and (on our route) there was a bit of technical climbing, but, all in all, its just hard slogging. A lot of people die on Rainier, but that's because of numbers, insufficient experience and weather. For me the excitement was a) as always, the view, b) riding a small low energy avalanche, and c) getting my lip stitched up by the guy who fell and took me with him (not listening to instructions!) . . . we were roped together and after a self-arrest and lowering, a quick 5 stitches and all was good, if that has to happen its good that the other guy is your good friend and a surgeon at Royal Columbia. Ahhh, mountaineering highlights.

Anyway, I am sure you are right that you couldn't see downtown from there. My parents used to live on Saltspring and the main peninsula blocked the view from there too. But if you can see that much of Rainier, I think you could see Vancouver lights from Rainer at night. Whether one could identify them as such is another question.

As I think I've said before, keep the great photos coming and thanks. I don't climb anymore (need more "fun"), I switched to mountain biking, which means tree cover and not so many amazing views. Your photos help fill the gap.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #318  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 1:03 PM
idunno idunno is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 956
Just incredible, Klazu! That's something I truly didn't think was possible.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #319  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 1:32 PM
Klazu's Avatar
Klazu Klazu is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Above Metro Vancouver clouds
Posts: 10,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by idunno View Post
Just incredible, Klazu! That's something I truly didn't think was possible.
I was also doubtful about it as the only photos I have seen have been from North Shore Mountains. I didn't think Earth's curvature would allow it to be seen from ground, but there you go.

Technically from North Shore Mountains Rainier is ever further away, close to 300 kilometers, but one is also 1000 meters higher than our place.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #320  
Old Posted May 12, 2016, 5:40 PM
officedweller officedweller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 41,814
Great shots!

If you can see Big Bend, can you also see River District?
PS - the orange striped smokestack is the Burnaby Incinerator.

Anyone know what tower is going up in the first shot just beyond Edmonds?
EDIT - just saw the other thread - Peninsula.

Last edited by officedweller; May 12, 2016 at 6:14 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Vancouver Photos
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:10 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.