HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2261  
Old Posted May 8, 2016, 3:09 PM
Stingray2004's Avatar
Stingray2004 Stingray2004 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: White Rock, BC (Metro Vancouver)
Posts: 3,145
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

The only exception to this might be Campobello Island, which is essentially an exclave, and is only accessible from the mainland by two ferry rides (with Deer Island in the middle), and in the winter time is only accessible by a one hour drive through Maine and a trip across the international bridge at Lubec.

By any measure (FDR included), Campobello should belong to the USA, but I'm glad it's Canadian. It's a delightful island.........
Kinda reminds me of a reverse situation here in my neck of the woods. Attached to the southern Metro Vancouver suburb of Tsawwassen (where I used to reside) is Point Roberts, WA - isolated from the rest of the mainland U.S. on a peninsula.

Point Roberts, WA has about 1,100 full-time residents and I know quite a few that are dual U.S./Canuck citizens that reside there. Also know a few that have picked up a few Americanisms while residing there, over the years, such as saying "ruf" for the word "roof".

BTW, I oft see Whatcom County, WA sheriff's patrol vehicles traverse local Canadian highways to head to mainland U.S.A and vice versa - along with school buses.

As an aside, apparently ~1/20 full-time Point Roberts residents are also part of the U.S. Marshal's Witness Protection Program.

Point Bob is a nice, quiet rural area with secluded beaches and I also enjoy horse-back riding there as well. Def a unique area that should belong to Canada but am kinda glad that it doesn't.

http://www.citylab.com/design/2012/02/strange-existence-point-roberts-washington/1265/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2262  
Old Posted May 8, 2016, 5:13 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Cross border ties are dwindling here too (especially with the new border restrictions since 9/11), so I expect the down east accent in Charlotte County will gradually wither away, to be replaced by "standard Canadian".

The only exception to this might be Campobello Island, which is essentially an exclave, and is only accessible from the mainland by two ferry rides (with Deer Island in the middle), and in the winter time is only accessible by a one hour drive through Maine and a trip across the international bridge at Lubec.

By any measure (FDR included), Campobello should belong to the USA, but I'm glad it's Canadian. It's a delightful island.........
There are large (summertime) exclave areas around Sault Ste. Marie as well, where wealthy U.S. families from the Midwest have had their summer homes for generations. There is one area that was bought up 100 years ago by people from Highland Park, Illinois (a wealthy Chicago suburb) and which even has a Frank Lloyd Wright cottage in it. The American cottage areas are generally completely separate from those owned by the local Canadians.

Campobello seems like an interesting place - one of our few victories in the border "wars".
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2263  
Old Posted May 8, 2016, 5:40 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Campobello seems like an interesting place - one of our few victories in the border "wars".
The legend is that at the time they were deciding the boundary (after the Revolutionary War), the Brits and the new US government agreed to float a buoy of some kind down the St. Croix River, and to let the natural water flow decide the international boundary.

Unfortunately for the Americans, the natural currents flowed near the US mainland thus all the offshore islands in Passamaquoddy Bay ended up belonging to Canada. Further out in the Bay of Fundy proper, Grand Manan also belongs to Canada, despite being physically closer to the US.

The Americans however seem to have drawn the line at Machias Seal Island, steadfastly claiming ownership, despite the fact that Canada has maintained a lighthouse and life saving station on the island since the mid 19th century. Every so often, Maine fishermen will fish for lobster (illegally) around the island and thumb their noses at Canadian authorities. Also, they have been known to make unannounced visits to the island in order to piss on the shoreline.

Curiously, the last permanently manned lighthouse in Canada is located on Machias Seal Island. Gee, I wonder why.......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2264  
Old Posted May 8, 2016, 7:07 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
The legend is that at the time they were deciding the boundary (after the Revolutionary War), the Brits and the new US government agreed to float a buoy of some kind down the St. Croix River, and to let the natural water flow decide the international boundary.

Unfortunately for the Americans, the natural currents flowed near the US mainland thus all the offshore islands in Passamaquoddy Bay ended up belonging to Canada. Further out in the Bay of Fundy proper, Grand Manan also belongs to Canada, despite being physically closer to the US.

The Americans however seem to have drawn the line at Machias Seal Island, steadfastly claiming ownership, despite the fact that Canada has maintained a lighthouse and life saving station on the island since the mid 19th century. Every so often, Maine fishermen will fish for lobster (illegally) around the island and thumb their noses at Canadian authorities. Also, they have been known to make unannounced visits to the island in order to piss on the shoreline.

Curiously, the last permanently manned lighthouse in Canada is located on Machias Seal Island. Gee, I wonder why.......
Is the accent on Grand Manan similarly influenced by Maine? I'd love to visit the place some day.

Re Machias Seal Island, if I recall correctly there's a family in Maine that claim it not only as U.S. territory but as their private property. I recall that the old man used to sail out every year and the lighthouse keeper would make a point of being on hand to welcome him politely to Canada!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2265  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:15 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Do you guys consider "lil' shits" to be a standard semi-affectionate descriptor for turbulent kids?

I had never heard that previously... Our upstairs tenants in Lévis have two elementary school aged boys, who are generally pretty adorable, and lately my gf texted me that we'd have to put a lock on her shed (which didn't lock) because the lil shits went in there and messed with her stuff.

I thought she was pretty angry with them (in my mind, I had read that as "the little pieces of — did XYZ") but apparently it's not that bad in terms of meaning.

Since then of course it's become a running gag between us... for example, since our tenants have stuff that's theirs in the shed, I was asked to explain to them that we had added a lock (I'm pretty much always the official translator) so of course I reported to my gf that I had informed them she had complained about their "little — kids" going in there, etc.

I'm just wondering if it's widespread, or just very regional... and as a non-native speaker, I'm surprised that there's apparently a pretty major difference between calling someone a lil' — and calling someone a —.
l'il shits = p'— crisses

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2266  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:16 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post

I have never met anyone from there, and I've also never been to either Newfoundland or PMS, though I'd love to visit these places.
PMS

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2267  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:17 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
If there were such a thing as the perfect example of the Canadian English accent, who would exemplify it? I'm thinking it would be someone of British heritage, old money, probably coming out of UCC or LCC and educated at least in part at UofT or McGill.

Could it be Conrad Black?

I wonder if any descendants of the Eaton family still live in Canada and, if so, what they sound like? Or perhaps a Southam or a Molson?
John Ralston Saul?

Peter Mansbridge?

Stephen Harper?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2268  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:23 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray2004 View Post
Curious... do any Québécois here detect an accent from those residing on Saint Pierre et Miquelon? If so, is it more of a mainland France accent... or somewhere in between mainland France/Québec?
I've met a couple people from there. I've also seen news reports and videos with people from SPM.

From what I gather the accent is very predominantly France French, with some traces of the North American French spoken by Acadiens, Québécois, etc.

Which shows very clearly the impact of administrative divisions and authorities on accents.

If they'd been made part of Canada way back when like the rest of us, today they'd have accents much more similar to ours.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2269  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:23 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Campobello seems like an interesting place - one of our few victories in the border "wars".
Campobello is very interesting. Even though it's Canadian, it almost feels American. The only "land" connection is via the international bridge to Lubec ME, people talk like Mainers, the terrain and vegetation is different than the Canadian mainland and the Franklin Delano Roosevelt "cottage" is there. This is where he contracted polio. It's an international peace park now, and when you go visit the park, there are US Rangers there acting as interpretive guides. Seeing these rangers wandering around the park in their uniforms really makes you question if you are in Canada or not........
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2270  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:53 PM
kwoldtimer kwoldtimer is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: La vraie capitale
Posts: 26,251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
John Ralston Saul?

Peter Mansbridge?

Stephen Harper?
I considered the first two, but dismissed Mansbridge because, as good as he sounds, I suspect he was directly influenced by the British English of his parents. If the model were "newsanchor", I'd go with Lisa LaFlamme.

Harper? No problem, but very middle class. I was thinking more in terms of the Anglo elite.

By the way, I also listened to an dismissed Robertson Davies - the most British sounding born in Canada Canadian I can imagine, although he certainly could carry it off! Same with Christopher Plummer - very elegant, but not really "Canadian" when he opens his mouth.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2271  
Old Posted May 9, 2016, 1:58 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
I considered the first two, but dismissed Mansbridge because, as good as he sounds, I suspect he was directly influenced by the British English of his parents. If the model were "newsanchor", I'd go with Lisa LaFlamme.

Harper? No problem, but very middle class. I was thinking more in terms of the Anglo elite.

By the way, I also listened to an dismissed Robertson Davies - the most British sounding born in Canada Canadian I can imagine, although he certainly could carry it off! Same with Christopher Plummer - very elegant, but not really "Canadian" when he opens his mouth.
Lloyd Robertson?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2272  
Old Posted May 10, 2016, 5:22 AM
Loco101's Avatar
Loco101 Loco101 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Timmins, Northern Ontario
Posts: 9,030
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
I've met a couple people from there. I've also seen news reports and videos with people from SPM.

From what I gather the accent is very predominantly France French, with some traces of the North American French spoken by Acadiens, Québécois, etc.

Which shows very clearly the impact of administrative divisions and authorities on accents.

If they'd been made part of Canada way back when like the rest of us, today they'd have accents much more similar to ours.
Some of my family members have been there. I unfortunately ran out of time on my NL vacations but did see the islands in the distance from the Burin peninsula.

I asked about accent and was told that it depends who you speak with. There are some who moved there from France so their accents are obvious. But for those who were raised there, they have a mix of French (France) and Acadian/Quebec accent. They do a lot of shopping and travel in Newfoundland so there are heavy Canadian (including Newfoundland) influences for terminology and lingo. The people there also travel a lot throughout Atlantic Canada and Quebec and have regular communication with the people there.

I went on YouTube and it seems as though what I wrote is correct but maybe others should check it out as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2273  
Old Posted May 10, 2016, 12:57 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco101 View Post
Some of my family members have been there. I unfortunately ran out of time on my NL vacations but did see the islands in the distance from the Burin peninsula.

I asked about accent and was told that it depends who you speak with. There are some who moved there from France so their accents are obvious. But for those who were raised there, they have a mix of French (France) and Acadian/Quebec accent. They do a lot of shopping and travel in Newfoundland so there are heavy Canadian (including Newfoundland) influences for terminology and lingo. The people there also travel a lot throughout Atlantic Canada and Quebec and have regular communication with the people there.

I went on YouTube and it seems as though what I wrote is correct but maybe others should check it out as well.
This video has been posted here before. It features SPM people from all walks of life. It's definitely more like northern France than Acadia or Quebec.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2CA1AjcbH_8
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2274  
Old Posted May 10, 2016, 1:08 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is online now
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,343
They definitely consider their accent to be better than Quebec's - whether it actually is all that different I wouldn't know. I assume they understand Quebec French quite well. Lots of Canadiens games on TV there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2275  
Old Posted May 10, 2016, 1:31 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
They definitely consider their accent to be better than Quebec's - whether it actually is all that different I wouldn't know.
Oh I don't doubt for a minute that they think their accent is better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
I assume they understand Quebec French quite well. Lots of Canadiens games on TV there.
Anyone with a native speaker's command of any type of French can understand Quebec French if they've been exposed to it to a reasonable degree. (And even if they haven't been exposed to it much, if the speaker isn't a person with low education or "slumming it".)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2276  
Old Posted May 10, 2016, 10:46 PM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
I heard Rachel Notley speak for the first time (on the news) and she seemed to have a generic North American Anglo accent. For those of you with a finer ear, could she pass as a native Torontonian or not? Would she have been immediately identified as a Westerner or, even more narrowed down, a Prairisian? Or more precisely even, an Albertan?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2277  
Old Posted May 11, 2016, 11:08 AM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I heard Rachel Notley speak for the first time (on the news) and she seemed to have a generic North American Anglo accent. For those of you with a finer ear, could she pass as a native Torontonian or not? Would she have been immediately identified as a Westerner or, even more narrowed down, a Prairisian? Or more precisely even, an Albertan?
Prairisian
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2278  
Old Posted May 11, 2016, 2:25 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
To my ear there is nothing that gives Rachel Notley away as Albertan. She could plausibly be from anywhere west of Montreal.

If I didn't know where she was from, I'd certainly believe that she could be from Toronto.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2279  
Old Posted May 11, 2016, 2:31 PM
Acajack's Avatar
Acajack Acajack is offline
Gros Méchant Loup
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: SSP Graveyard
Posts: 72,949
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
To my ear there is nothing that gives Rachel Notley away as Albertan. She could plausibly be from anywhere west of Montreal.

If I didn't know where she was from, I'd certainly believe that she could be from Toronto.
I'd say the same thing about Rachel Notley, but then again I am used to and even expect most Anglo-Canadians to sound highly similar regardless of region (with only a few exceptions).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #2280  
Old Posted May 11, 2016, 2:43 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ Atlantic Canada is a bit of an anglo accent wonderland with various distinct sounds (French-tinged Acadian, the standard Nova Scotia English, the turbocharged Cape Breton accent, urban Newfoundlander and the one that might as well be Gaelic, outport Newfoundlander).

But yeah, west of Quebec it's almost impossible for me to pick out accents. I can identify the Southern Ontario/Niagara Peninsula vaguely American sounding accent you sometimes hear (e.g. "I'm from around Hemmmilton"... "think you"), and if someone has an ethnic sounding accent that helps to place them. But by and large I find it hard to distinguish and I'm skeptical of anyone who claims they can, for example, tell a Saskatoon vs. a Kamloops native by how they sound.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:21 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.