HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #3581  
Old Posted Apr 19, 2016, 10:22 PM
Walk then Run's Avatar
Walk then Run Walk then Run is offline
Spem Reduxit
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Saint John, New Brunswick
Posts: 186
I had to check out Wiki to confirm if "Middle East" was not a typo. They have a few in the UAE and one in Saudi Arabia. Well, you really do learn something everyday!
__________________
It all starts with an idea...think about it!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3582  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:11 PM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
This just in from another Moncton site. "We were just informed this morning by head office that pjs pets, pets unlimited & pet culture is closing their doors in 7 weeks. Across Canada." This would explain why the Pet Culture in Dieppe was half empty when I visited last week.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3583  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 4:23 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
We should change this page to the Moncton retail closures page haha, seems like every week there is a new closure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3584  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 5:04 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monctoncore View Post
We should change this page to the Moncton retail closures page haha, seems like every week there is a new closure.
Although to be fair, almost every time there's a retail closure in Moncton, it's because the whole damned chain nationwide is going 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up........
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3585  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 5:53 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Although to be fair, almost every time there's a retail closure in Moncton, it's because the whole damned chain nationwide is going 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up........
Either the chain going up, or of course the restructuring of the business so they don't go belly up.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3586  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 6:31 PM
Monctoncore Monctoncore is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 1,274
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Although to be fair, almost every time there's a retail closure in Moncton, it's because the whole damned chain nationwide is going 🞵🞵🞵🞵 up........

I only joke, it just seems like Canada has been having a rough time lately in general with retail.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3587  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 8:24 PM
micks5477's Avatar
micks5477 micks5477 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Moncton
Posts: 371
If Pet Culture does close its doors I am wondering if Sobey's would expand and take over the pet store. Another thought is Fit4Less is to have a second Moncton location and maybe they move into the pet store.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3588  
Old Posted Apr 21, 2016, 9:37 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
I went to Giant Tiger on Main Street today, and there seems to have been work going on in the still vacant store front directly to the left of Giant Tiger. I talked to one of the employees who I always see doing odd jobs, and he told me they where in there yesterday too but he does not know if the unit has been rented out, or if actual work has started in there yet. Yesterday they dropped of a Construction dumpster as well.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3589  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 11:28 AM
Hogie75 Hogie75 is offline
I have no Title
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Moncton, New Brunswick
Posts: 162
I was speaking with an employee at Thai Zone and they mentioned that with the success of their dieppe location, they are actively looking at a 2nd location in Moncton North End as early as this summer.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3590  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 12:08 PM
rcarr311 rcarr311 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Posts: 8
So with Pet Culture closing that will leave a vacancy already in the new developement behind CIBC on Main St. as they were one of the tenants along with Sally's
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3591  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 1:38 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332


That was PetValu, not Pet Culture.......
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3592  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:22 PM
OUIR@random OUIR@random is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nouveau-Brunswick
Posts: 787
I think MonctonRad said this before, how many pet stores do we really need around town? I must agree, there is too many of these pet chains around, this is just a market adjustment doing its thing. Petsmart seems to be doing well however.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3593  
Old Posted Apr 22, 2016, 3:26 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogie75 View Post
I was speaking with an employee at Thai Zone and they mentioned that with the success of their dieppe location, they are actively looking at a 2nd location in Moncton North End as early as this summer.
Good to hear.

The issue will be finding a space the right size. The location in Dieppe is pretty small.

I might suggest somewhere in the Lounsbury's Plaza. Perhaps they could replace Quizno's. That's a pretty high profile spot.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3594  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 1:45 AM
josh_cat_eyes's Avatar
josh_cat_eyes josh_cat_eyes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 2,765
I believe I mentioned a month ago maybe that I heard Pet Culture was closing. I'm not at all surprised but you can't say the chain didn't try. They changed their name from pets unlimited pet culture, I know in some places they reduced the size of their locations (Charlottetown for example moved to a new location that was more then half the size of their old location)

In all the empty space will be 11,648 sq/ft when you count the area behind the that was part of the Princess Auto receiving area.
__________________
We The People
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3595  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 2:32 AM
mmmatt's Avatar
mmmatt mmmatt is offline
Our Tide is Rising
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 2,755
Verified with someone I know who works at Costco...latest they know is higher ups were in moncton recently checking out potential sites to build...day&ross and Harrisville still seem to be options on the table according to this source...gives me some hope for the preferred Mapleton option
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3596  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 2:49 PM
MonctonRad's Avatar
MonctonRad MonctonRad is offline
Wildcats Rule!!
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Moncton NB
Posts: 41,332
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmmatt View Post
Verified with someone I know who works at Costco...latest they know is higher ups were in moncton recently checking out potential sites to build...day&ross and Harrisville still seem to be options on the table according to this source...gives me some hope for the preferred Mapleton option
I tend to agree with you that the Day & Ross site on Mapleton should be the preferred option, but other posters on this thread with insider Costco sources seem to feel very strongly that the store will relocate to Harrisville.

I prefer the Day & Ross site because:

1) - It would avoid fragmenting the Moncton retail market any more than it already is.
2) - The loss of a major anchor like Costco could imperil all the existing retailers in the Mapleton district (including at Wheeler Park, Mapleton Centre, Mapleton Crossing, Northwest Centre and Plaza Blvd).
3) - Major infrastructure upgrades would be necessary at Harrisville. Mapleton Road meanwhile is already 4-5 lanes with a signalized intersection at the entry into the Day & Ross site. Millions of dollars would be required to upgrade the Harrisville/Rte 15 interchange and to widen Harrisville Blvd. I'm sure the city (and province) would prefer a relocation to the Day & Ross site for those reasons.
4) - The Day & Ross site would provide major visibility for any new shopping development anchored by Costco from the TCH.
__________________
Go 'Cats Go
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3597  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 5:04 PM
Freddypop's Avatar
Freddypop Freddypop is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Go Pats!
Posts: 2,343
Quote:
Originally Posted by micks5477 View Post
This just in from another Moncton site. "We were just informed this morning by head office that pjs pets, pets unlimited & pet culture is closing their doors in 7 weeks. Across Canada." This would explain why the Pet Culture in Dieppe was half empty when I visited last week.
Here is the list of stores closing

http://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/goi...-at-27-pjs-pets-locations-576781531.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3598  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:01 PM
BlackYear's Avatar
BlackYear BlackYear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,288
As I was waiting in the grid lock of traffic at the corner of Mt-Rd & Plaza blvd, I wondered what would be a good replacement for the Moncton Chrysler Jeep Dodge once they move.

A Milestone Restaurant came to mind!


Credit tripadvisor.com
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3599  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:17 PM
BlackYear's Avatar
BlackYear BlackYear is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I tend to agree with you that the Day & Ross site on Mapleton should be the preferred option, but other posters on this thread with insider Costco sources seem to feel very strongly that the store will relocate to Harrisville.

I prefer the Day & Ross site because:

1) - It would avoid fragmenting the Moncton retail market any more than it already is.
2) - The loss of a major anchor like Costco could imperil all the existing retailers in the Mapleton district (including at Wheeler Park, Mapleton Centre, Mapleton Crossing, Northwest Centre and Plaza Blvd).
3) - Major infrastructure upgrades would be necessary at Harrisville. Mapleton Road meanwhile is already 4-5 lanes with a signalized intersection at the entry into the Day & Ross site. Millions of dollars would be required to upgrade the Harrisville/Rte 15 interchange and to widen Harrisville Blvd. I'm sure the city (and province) would prefer a relocation to the Day & Ross site for those reasons.
4) - The Day & Ross site would provide major visibility for any new shopping development anchored by Costco from the TCH.
I agree with you 100%, but I don't think anyone can force Day&Ross to move, even though we all know their location has succumbed to the retail growth in the area. I'm guessing the only thing that will get them to move is money!

If Costco was to move on Harrisville blvd, it wouldn't be their responsibility to pay for infrastructure, that would be the city and province. So, could the city decline their permit because of this reason? "Sorry Costco, you have to stay where your are now until we figure this mess out."
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #3600  
Old Posted Apr 23, 2016, 6:31 PM
Scarface Scarface is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Posts: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
I believe I mentioned a month ago maybe that I heard Pet Culture was closing. I'm not at all surprised but you can't say the chain didn't try. They changed their name from pets unlimited pet culture, I know in some places they reduced the size of their locations (Charlottetown for example moved to a new location that was more then half the size of their old location)

In all the empty space will be 11,648 sq/ft when you count the area behind the that was part of the Princess Auto receiving area.
Din't sportschek take that Receiving area over while taking up the rest of Princess Auto, or did they have a new receiving area built?


Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
I tend to agree with you that the Day & Ross site on Mapleton should be the preferred option, but other posters on this thread with insider Costco sources seem to feel very strongly that the store will relocate to Harrisville.

I prefer the Day & Ross site because:

1) - It would avoid fragmenting the Moncton retail market any more than it already is.
2) - The loss of a major anchor like Costco could imperil all the existing retailers in the Mapleton district (including at Wheeler Park, Mapleton Centre, Mapleton Crossing, Northwest Centre and Plaza Blvd).
3) - Major infrastructure upgrades would be necessary at Harrisville. Mapleton Road meanwhile is already 4-5 lanes with a signalized intersection at the entry into the Day & Ross site. Millions of dollars would be required to upgrade the Harrisville/Rte 15 interchange and to widen Harrisville Blvd. I'm sure the city (and province) would prefer a relocation to the Day & Ross site for those reasons.
4) - The Day & Ross site would provide major visibility for any new shopping development anchored by Costco from the TCH.
I think the city staff would agree with you considering some members of Moncton city staff have admitted "off the record" that there was an attempt, or 2 made by the city to talk Day & Ross to move to either Moncton Industrial Park, or Caledonia Industrial park. I will point out non of the attempts where done publicly, ad neither have Admitted, and/or declined publicly that it has actually happen.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:29 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.