HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #2121  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 6:48 PM
McBoo McBoo is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 747
As a former Old Strath resident, so kinda torn about this project.

Still, in the end, if you want to talk infill and density, you have to walk it too.
     
     
  #2122  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:11 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
I fully support infilling large parts of Old Strathcona as long as steps are taken to keep the historic pedestrian-friendly feeling of the area. Having said that, much of the area outside that core of older turn of the century is filled with generic and bland boxes, so I say timber! Develop away...

As for Ice District North aka Aurora: City of Light aka the Downtown North project lands from the late 70's, I have a suspicion we'll end up seeing a bunch of slender glass point towers, and that's OK. The area needs gentrification and I don't think anyone here would argue otherwise.. Yes, the seedier elements will probably continue to be pushed North towards 111/112 & 118 Avenue but let's hope that the city, the province and the feds do finally work together to tackle the affordable housing and addictions crisis that have really hit a lot of areas in the city hard.
     
     
  #2123  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:23 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
Downtown North project lands from the late 70's
I wish I'd kept my old renderings of that proposal. Ah, the old days.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #2124  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:24 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
It is up at Council on Monday:
http://sirepub.edmonton.ca/sirepub/mtgviewer.aspx?meetid=1680&doctype=AGENDA
5.3 - Bylaw 17620 - Amendment to the Strathcona Area Redevelopment Plan
5.4 - Bylaw 17621 - To allow for high density, mixed use development, Queen Alexandra

If you want to see it built, don't just post here, write the mayor and your councillor to express your support!
This.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2125  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:43 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
As for Ice District North aka Aurora: City of Light aka the Downtown North project lands from the late 70's, I have a suspicion we'll end up seeing a bunch of slender glass point towers, and that's OK. The area needs gentrification and I don't think anyone here would argue otherwise.
Definitely OK with that!

Anyone who knows my posting history will know I'm all about historical preservation. And yet I find it a bit puzzling that people are gung-ho about knocking down historical buildings for redevelopment (see: El Mirador) but at the same time find value in the Third World slumlord buildings on 101 St north of 105 Ave.

Are these really worth keeping:
https://goo.gl/maps/EWAfok7bqqk
     
     
  #2126  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 7:52 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Also, the 'character' of 81 Avenue is not exactly what I want to retain or celebrate...
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2127  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:05 PM
canucklehead2 canucklehead2 is offline
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: YEG
Posts: 6,846
What you don't appreciate the fine vistas of No Frills and Dollarama? People will pay top $$ for that!
     
     
  #2128  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 8:21 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Also, the 'character' of 81 Avenue is not exactly what I want to retain or celebrate...
I agree. There is nothing there really - except the building the Keg is in.
     
     
  #2129  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:16 PM
GreenSPACE's Avatar
GreenSPACE GreenSPACE is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Posts: 1,865
Just as long as there's parking for your S2000 when you hit up Billiard Club.
__________________
"A great city is not to be confounded with a populous one." - Aristotle
     
     
  #2130  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:32 PM
hilman's Avatar
hilman hilman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 2,763


Quote:
Extreme makeover, the Edmonton downtown office building edition

Building getting a complete facelift

By: Ryan Tumilty Metro Published on Thu Apr 14 2016

A downtown Edmonton office building is getting a dramatic new look that the architects believe could be duplicated all over town.
The Associated Engineering building on Jasper Avenue and 109 Street is being “reimagined” by Manasc Isaac architects and Procura Developments.
The 70s era building will have a completely new exterior when the work is done, as cranes will remove precast exterior panels and replace them with a more modern façade.

“It is one of the most prominent corners in downtown, so we also wanted to revitalize that corner,” said Rita Mello, the project lead with Manasc Isaac.
But Mello said the change is much more than skin deep, with a top to bottom look at the building’s mechanical systems.

“It’s not just a basic re-skinning. We look at the entire building,” she said. “We’re reviewing and upgrading the systems. We’re upgrading the look and feel, but we are mainly focused on performance.”
http://www.metronews.ca/news/edmonton/20...-downtown-office-building-edition-.html?
     
     
  #2131  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:43 PM
mcc16 mcc16 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 765
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but chateau lacombe was bought by people who own Nova hotels? Owner is Serbian. So colour pattern may essentially be giant Serbian flag. Thought that was interesting and explains the odd colour choice.
     
     
  #2132  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 2:45 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
I've seen several colour palates for this tower. When did the green-grey make the cut?
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #2133  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:22 PM
Hallsy's Toupee's Avatar
Hallsy's Toupee Hallsy's Toupee is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Edmonton
Posts: 6,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcc16 View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but chateau lacombe was bought by people who own Nova hotels? Owner is Serbian. So colour pattern may essentially be giant Serbian flag. Thought that was interesting and explains the odd colour choice.
Yes, the owner is related to boxer Jelena Mrdjenovich. Nova has owned it for a few years now.
     
     
  #2134  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:28 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Yes, the owner is related to boxer Jelena Mrdjenovich. Nova has owned it for a few years now.
Just wish they would finish it.

I see Edmonton House parkade covered up with scaffolding and netting on the south, east and north sides. Lafarge pickup trucks there - they must be doing something with the finish...its all precast from what I can see. Be interesting to see if they change the colour or what....and maybe that will stimulate the peops that own the Chateau Lacombe to get finishing the "reimagined building".
     
     
  #2135  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 4:54 PM
Coldrsx's Avatar
Coldrsx Coldrsx is online now
Community Guy
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Edmonton, AB
Posts: 69,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by s211 View Post
I've seen several colour palates for this tower. When did the green-grey make the cut?
Glass went back and forth multiple times.
__________________
"The destructive effects of automobiles are much less a cause than a symptom of our incompetence at city building" - Jane Jacobs 1961ish

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers
     
     
  #2136  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:06 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
Just wish they would finish it.

I see Edmonton House parkade covered up with scaffolding and netting on the south, east and north sides. Lafarge pickup trucks there - they must be doing something with the finish...its all precast from what I can see. Be interesting to see if they change the colour or what....and maybe that will stimulate the peops that own the Chateau Lacombe to get finishing the "reimagined building".
Delamination repair
     
     
  #2137  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:07 PM
240glt's Avatar
240glt 240glt is offline
HVAC guru
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: YEG -> -> -> Nelson BC
Posts: 11,297
what specific mechanical changes or optimization is being performed on the WSP building ?
     
     
  #2138  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 5:12 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Glass went back and forth multiple times.
As I understand, green glass is the cheapest, hence the proliferation of it in Vancouver.
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
     
     
  #2139  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 6:27 PM
hotwheels hotwheels is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 427
MacEwan adds dynamic new building to its campus (via src)

     
     
  #2140  
Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 7:45 PM
EdmTrekker EdmTrekker is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 5,247
All those new schools that were promised including a 🞵🞵🞵🞵 load here in Edmonton. National Post have a sweet little article on that in today's paper.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-commen...ies-liars-and-politicians-seeking-office
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:50 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.