HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #5861  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 3:47 PM
TheWire TheWire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 79
This isn't particularly related to Salt Lake development, but tangentially due to her impact on the entire architectural world. Zaha Hadid passed away this morning due to a heart attack. This —.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35936768
     
     
  #5862  
Old Posted Mar 31, 2016, 8:59 PM
millhouse millhouse is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by GBurrow View Post
Excavation is continuing at the Hardware building. I was actually pretty surprised to see how much work was completed on the parking lot. I just figured they would remove the parking lot, but it appears that they are digging for the underground parking.
The West phase doesnt include any underground parking. They are amending the existing soils under the building pad and parking garage. The bearing capacity of the existing soils was poor.
     
     
  #5863  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 1:08 AM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Fyi, PBS is showing a series that highlights 10 cities/towns, which includes Salt Lake City, that influenced America.


http://www.pbs.org/program/ten-that-changed-america/10-towns-changed-america/
     
     
  #5864  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 3:34 PM
Hatman's Avatar
Hatman Hatman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,434
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWire View Post
This isn't particularly related to Salt Lake development, but tangentially due to her impact on the entire architectural world. Zaha Hadid passed away this morning due to a heart attack. This —.

http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-35936768
Totally. Did she design anything near the SLC area? I'm no expert in architecture, but it seems like the SLC area only gets false-starts with famous architects, like the Gehry development at the point of the mountain.
     
     
  #5865  
Old Posted Apr 1, 2016, 11:57 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Who here would support making the Kennecott Smokestack a historical landmark?

I just can't imagine the valley without that giant structure looming in the background like a dragon guarding us along the passage of I-80, our Mordor.

     
     
  #5866  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 12:53 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hatman View Post
Totally. Did she design anything near the SLC area? I'm no expert in architecture, but it seems like the SLC area only gets false-starts with famous architects, like the Gehry development at the point of the mountain.
Well we did have a library developed by Moshe Safdie. That's pretty solid.

Zaha Hadid, from what I can tell, did not design anything locally.
     
     
  #5867  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 2:01 AM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
Who here would support making the Kennecott Smokestack a historical landmark?

I just can't imagine the valley without that giant structure looming in the background like a dragon guarding us along the passage of I-80, our Mordor.

This is strange, because I've always equated the stack as exactly that. Smaug under the mountain.
Historical? yes.
Mythical? Forever.
Glad to know I'm not alone.
Thanks.
     
     
  #5868  
Old Posted Apr 2, 2016, 3:44 AM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,285
Can I just say I'm proud of all you guys for not posting some lame april fools announcement of a huge tower coming (or whatever). Well done!
     
     
  #5869  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 9:19 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Is this big empty homeless roost getting torn down for the new DA's Office?









     
     
  #5870  
Old Posted Apr 3, 2016, 10:41 PM
TonyAnderson's Avatar
TonyAnderson TonyAnderson is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Salt Lake City | Utah
Posts: 2,788
A couple of phone pics (Lumia 950) recently.

I like the urban-ness here.



Theatre getting close.

     
     
  #5871  
Old Posted Apr 4, 2016, 1:42 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,765
Utah’s Internet speed is fastest in the West, 8th worldwide

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86565...s-fastest-in-the-West-8th-worldwide.html



.

Last edited by delts145; Apr 23, 2016 at 11:09 AM.
     
     
  #5872  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:00 AM
UrbanDesign UrbanDesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 69
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Utah’s Internet speed is fastest in the West, 8th worldwide

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/86565...s-fastest-in-the-West-8th-worldwide.html



.
I bet google fiber is helping this stat and will continue to help once SLC is online. Also, other companies are being forced to offer 1gb speeds to compete, so we as the consumer are reaping the benefits
     
     
  #5873  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 4:37 AM
Atlas's Avatar
Atlas Atlas is offline
Space Magi
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 2,008
I live in Central City and it seems that there are some residents that are trying to stop the Trolley Square apartment development on 600 S out of concerns of gentrification and such. They are urging residents to show up at the neighborhood council meeting on Wednesday to protest the rezoning of the parcel.

Thoughts?
     
     
  #5874  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:00 AM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I live in Central City and it seems that there are some residents that are trying to stop the Trolley Square apartment development on 600 S out of concerns of gentrification and such. They are urging residents to show up at the neighborhood council meeting on Wednesday to protest the rezoning of the parcel.

Thoughts?
I think ill show up and counter their points. Parking lots are not something to protect unless it's against parks...
     
     
  #5875  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 5:32 AM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
I definitely see their points and I think it's insulting to dismiss the views of people in the neighborhood. I wish Sugar House residents would've had more say in the development process that has ruined the neighborhood's identity. So, I get their concerns. I support the project but I think it's important SLC do everything in its power to preserve their neighborhood identities.
     
     
  #5876  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 6:25 AM
Liberty Wellsian Liberty Wellsian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
I live in Central City and it seems that there are some residents that are trying to stop the Trolley Square apartment development on 600 S out of concerns of gentrification and such. They are urging residents to show up at the neighborhood council meeting on Wednesday to protest the rezoning of the parcel.

Thoughts?
That seems like an incredibly dumb argument. Adding more housing units to a neighborhood doesn't cause gentrification restricting the development of additional units does.
     
     
  #5877  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 10:05 AM
ThePusherMan's Avatar
ThePusherMan ThePusherMan is offline
One Thing At A Time
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Posts: 412
Gentrification is about displacing under privileged people. Parking lots are not under privileged people.
     
     
  #5878  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:51 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberty Wellsian View Post
That seems like an incredibly dumb argument. Adding more housing units to a neighborhood doesn't cause gentrification restricting the development of additional units does.
No. That's exactly what it does. Gentrification has its benefits - but it also prices out a great deal of the established neighborhood.
     
     
  #5879  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 12:53 PM
Comrade's Avatar
Comrade Comrade is offline
They all float down here
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Hair City, Utah
Posts: 9,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePusherMan View Post
Gentrification is about displacing under privileged people. Parking lots are not under privileged people.
That's some flawed logic right there. Gentrification isn't just bulldozing current housing for new housing. It's changing the dynamics of a neighborhood so that it becomes unaffordable for the type of people who already live there. Just look at what's happening in huge areas of San Francisco.
     
     
  #5880  
Old Posted Apr 5, 2016, 1:13 PM
Utah_Dave Utah_Dave is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 699
Gentrification

It seems gentrification has more to do with the type of people who live in a neighborhood vs what is built there. If a group of people have pride in ownership, work to up keep there houses and yards, remodel run down homes, the result is gentrification. A nice building being built there is a result of gentrification already happening in that neighborhood. It's too late for that area. I wish Ogden would gentrify a little. Lol.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.