Quote:
Originally Posted by Meikkhaell
Its amazing how much our skyline has evolved in the last 10 years!
I really hope Oxford does work out, I think I heard something about them talking about a redesign, though I can't confirm.
I really like the sleekness of some of these new towers, it really makes them appear far taller than they are.
It would be great to see a 900-1000+ ft tall structure some day in Calgary!
|
My read is that we will see sleek, window-maximizing residential towers proportionately more than broad, floorplate-maximizing towers in the future than we have in the past.
That said, I think we are likely to see a lot of 35-40ish story residential towers (100-150 m; 350-500ft) until either (a) every parking lot and under-utilized development in Downtown and the Beltline is gone or (b) some new technology revolutionizes elevators and/or construction methods. Meanwhile, infills with bring a mature dimension to many of Calgary's sleepier suburban neighbourhoods. Overall, I think this is best for the aesthetic and streetscapes of Calgary in the medium term anyway.
Then, finally, someday in 30-40 years Calgary will start to get some really crazy supertalls, but who knows what the world will be like by then.