HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4641  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 3:44 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
You realize most nearby suburbanites work in the city though right?

Also Modo and car2go exist in the Lonsdale area, but no one in their right mind is going to use car sharing to go to work. It's way more expensive than owning a car.
Yes, suburbanites are the ones filling the skytrains and buses heading downtown every day. But for day to day life, a car is almost a requirement in the burbs.

As for car2go vs. commuting, it can easily be cheaper depending on how far you are going and the cost of parking.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4642  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:16 PM
dreambrother808 dreambrother808 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 4,429
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Yes, suburbanites are the ones filling the skytrains and buses heading downtown every day. But for day to day life, a car is almost a requirement in the burbs.

As for car2go vs. commuting, it can easily be cheaper depending on how far you are going and the cost of parking.
Car sharing is only cheaper if used infrequently.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4643  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 4:36 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreambrother808 View Post
Car sharing is only cheaper if used infrequently.
Everybody's situation varies, but I do think people tend to underestimate the cost of running a car, including: gas, insurance, parking, maintenance and depreciation.

Typical car ownership is ~$10k/year. That pays for a lot of rental cars, car sharing, taxis, and so on.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4644  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:30 PM
CanSpice's Avatar
CanSpice CanSpice is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: New Westminster, BC
Posts: 2,730
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Everybody's situation varies, but I do think people tend to underestimate the cost of running a car, including: gas, insurance, parking, maintenance and depreciation.

Typical car ownership is ~$10k/year. That pays for a lot of rental cars, car sharing, taxis, and so on.
Yep. We don't own a car, we're modo members. Between modo and bus passes, our transportation costs (me, my wife, and my 7 year old daughter) run about $7500 a year. Actually that's now a little less because I'm no longer buying two-zone passes (to get to work is almost entirely by bus) and my wife now walks to work, so that saves us about $1500 a year, so we're sitting at about $6000 a year to get around.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4645  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 5:58 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanSpice View Post
Yep. We don't own a car, we're modo members. Between modo and bus passes, our transportation costs (me, my wife, and my 7 year old daughter) run about $7500 a year. Actually that's now a little less because I'm no longer buying two-zone passes (to get to work is almost entirely by bus) and my wife now walks to work, so that saves us about $1500 a year, so we're sitting at about $6000 a year to get around.
That is a lot of money. Between my partner and I, we've got 2 cars and 2 motorcycles and I don't think they add up $7500. Our biggest cost is the insurance.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4646  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:08 PM
aberdeen5698's Avatar
aberdeen5698 aberdeen5698 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 4,803
My Prius C costs me $6300 a year for little over 14,000km, and that includes $200/month that goes into a savings account to buy its successor sometime down the road.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4647  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:15 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
That is a lot of money. Between my partner and I, we've got 2 cars and 2 motorcycles and I don't think they add up $7500. Our biggest cost is the insurance.
Depreciation costs a lot unless you are driving old junkers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4648  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 6:35 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
Depreciation costs a lot unless you are driving old junkers.
Depreciation is about $4000 total. One of the cars is 24 years old and has essentially stopped depreciating though. The motorcycles aren't big capital items in the first place, so the depreciation isn't too scary. Most of my mileage is in an electric car, so gas and maintenance costs are also massively reduced.

The biggest trick is to buy cars at 1-2 years age. It's the best balance between depreciation and useful service life.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4649  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:40 PM
twoNeurons twoNeurons is offline
loafing in lotusland
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Lotusland
Posts: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Depreciation is about $4000 total. One of the cars is 24 years old and has essentially stopped depreciating though. The motorcycles aren't big capital items in the first place, so the depreciation isn't too scary. Most of my mileage is in an electric car, so gas and maintenance costs are also massively reduced.

The biggest trick is to buy cars at 1-2 years age. It's the best balance between depreciation and useful service life.
Leaf? i3? Volt? I'm curious what you thought of going all electric. I've been considering it for my next car. The Leaf massively depreciates, so I'm guessing not that.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4650  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 8:46 PM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
I "told" my wife we're going all electric for the next car... might be a few years but the Bolt or Tesla Model 3 look realistic. Or maybe a cheap used Leaf to see how we deal with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4651  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 9:07 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoNeurons View Post
Leaf? i3? Volt? I'm curious what you thought of going all electric. I've been considering it for my next car. The Leaf massively depreciates, so I'm guessing not that.
2012 Volt. I've had it for 2.5 years so far.

If you're looking either get a new Volt or wait for the Bolt and Tesla 3 to come out. Most of the other options aren't great right now.
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4652  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 9:37 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Arrow Excuse the presumptuous observation, please

... but is this the Georgia Viaduct thread? ..... I thought maybe it was the "Automomobile" thread ......
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4653  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:01 PM
Alex Mackinnon's Avatar
Alex Mackinnon Alex Mackinnon is offline
Can I has a tunnel?
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: East Van
Posts: 2,217
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
... but is this the Georgia Viaduct thread? ..... I thought maybe it was the "Automomobile" thread ......
Well, half of the case against the viaducts is Geoff Meggs saying "but who will think of the environment! "
__________________
"It's ok, I'm an engineer!" -Famous last words
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4654  
Old Posted Mar 29, 2016, 11:13 PM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Mackinnon View Post
Well, half of the case against the viaducts is Geoff Meggs saying "but who will think of the environment! "
Ahhhh, yes. Geoff Meggs........ I wonder where he buys his clothes and who does his hair .....
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4655  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 12:57 AM
WarrenC12's Avatar
WarrenC12 WarrenC12 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: East OV!
Posts: 24,711
Quote:
Originally Posted by trofirhen View Post
... but is this the Georgia Viaduct thread? ..... I thought maybe it was the "Automomobile" thread ......
The discussion was about car usage, which is directly related to the need for the viaducts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4656  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 1:18 AM
trofirhen trofirhen is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 9,055
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarrenC12 View Post
The discussion was about car usage, which is directly related to the need for the viaducts.
Excuse me. I concede
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4657  
Old Posted Mar 30, 2016, 5:08 AM
cornholio cornholio is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,916
I do allot of trips out on to forestry roads, 4x4ing etc. That means my cars have generally been bought used, in the 5-15 year range (100-150k range) and cost 2-10k. I don't think depreciation has ever cracked a $1000 a year and that's with beating the 🞵🞵🞵🞵 out of every car(truck/suv/jeep) I have ever owned. And no their not junkers, their actually nice cars, people get rid of nice cars for no reason except to get the latest model. I drive about 10-20k km's a year max, I can work from home so I don't commute too often. That means I spend $1000 to $2000 a year on gas, $50/500km's per tank. Insurance for older vehicles is low, right now I think I pay $80 a month which is under a grand a year. Lots of simple repairs I do my self because I like to and because I can. So maintenance and fluid changes is maybe $500 a year. I am good at picking good cars and once major problems start happening its usually because its time to scrap the car so I sell it for a couple bucks and buy the next car.

So in summary I would say the cost of a car for me is about $3.5k to $4.5k a year, and that includes trips all over the province and city, and plenty of abuse. I would never catch skytrain or transit unless I am going downtown during peak hours to see a client (and even then I would always drive to the skytrain and often just drive straight downtown and pay because I need the flexibility), and I can tell you I avoid downtown like the plague at all hours so it doesn't happen too often.

Transit would be about $1500 a year and probably $10-20k in lost time at a minimum and I would be unable to actually go anywhere in this province or pursue my hobbies. Probably much more actually. Very hard to compute the real cost of transit, I would go as far as to say the costs would be too high to count.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4658  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 9:45 PM
nefc nefc is offline
envirogineer
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 74
The City's False Creek Flats planning page now has presentation boards and an online questionnaire to obtain feedback on the east-west connector options (i.e., Malkin or National). The online questionnaire will only be active until Monday, April 18. Here are the links:

False Creek Flats Planning Website: http://vancouver.ca/home-property-development/false-creek-flats.aspx

Presentation Boards: http://vancouver.ca/files/cov/false-cree...ment-open-house-information-displays.pdf

Questionnaire: http://vancouver.fluidsurveys.com/surveys/covengage/prior-venables-replacement-feedback
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4659  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 11:04 PM
s211 s211 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: The People's Glorious Republic of ... Sigh...
Posts: 8,519
I love how the city makes the windows for on-line feedback so insanely short. I guess it's just enough for them to claim "hey yeah we consulted. kwitcherbitchin".
__________________
If it seems I'm ignoring what you may have written in response to something I have written, it's very likely that you're on my Ignore List. Please do not take it personally.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4660  
Old Posted Apr 13, 2016, 11:47 PM
Jebby's Avatar
Jebby Jebby is offline
........
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Mexico City
Posts: 3,330
Commented that the Malkin route is preferable, and that it should be integrated into the existing viaducts.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Vancouver > Transportation & Infrastructure
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.