Arizona Center
http://azbigmedia.com/azre-magazine/new-market/arizona-center-sells-for-126-million
I don't remember reading this much detail about the developer's plans for AZ Center. I remember the $ they planned on spending on changes, but nothing about what those changes were... maybe I missed it, but in case anyone else did, the developer was quoted as saying that the plans include renovating and expanding the retail, adding parking, and upgrading the landscaping.
It seems like that place really is just a goner. Every new owner upgrades the landscaping; and, seriously, more parking? When you have a surface lot, massive garage, and two underground structures? Is that a joke? The downtown Phoenix market is saturated with restaurants and is lacking stores and services... and, a residential or at least hotel component would make that possible. CityScape is starting to struggle, but even if the tenants deteriorate, it'll likely always have enough foot traffic built-in to lease out the spaces. Replace the retail on 3rd with double-sided retail and 4 stories of office lofts, replace the garage and surface lot with apartments and retail to connect the PBC garage retail with Skyline's, renovate the theater (box office on 3rd street, retail cut into the corner of 3rd/fillmore), and make the service drive off Fillmore much more of an appealing entry from the north. What 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 is that still leaves room for two more towers, which shows what a waste it was to create the superblock to begin with. I suppose one of the spaces could turn into a dog park and the other saved for a hotel in 20 years?
3rd Ave/Roosevelt
Forno is closing on 3rd Ave/Roosevelt; apartments are planned. West Roosevelt is one of the most beautiful parts of downtown and judging by the all of the stalled projects (edison, union, mckinley row..), I feel like this great neighborhood-scale commercial intersection will end up with a dirt lot. If it's another boxy 4-over-1, that would really be a shame. Again, I don't know why - with so many lots for sale - the few (but growing) thriving spots get targeted.

I'm sure it will have a fantastic leasing center, though!
Welnick Marketplace
http://x.lnimg.com/attachments/B1713AF1-5BD9-4408-904E-762212ACE603.pdf
Sad that this project is in limbo waiting for tenants; should have known it was just PR when they mentioned all the talks they had been having w/ a number of businesses... I'm happy to see the building restored, but I am a little disappointed by the site plan which shows that the small building on the east side will be demo'd (if not already). They also purchased the lot behind Firestone for more parking which is one less lot for potential high-rise development or development of any kind to improve WVB.
The site plan also shows that they own the lot to the west and a Phase 2 is planned there. Is there a historic building underneath? I hope it's gorgeous if so, because a 1-story retail building on half a block in the part of town with the most lenient height limits will be really 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵. I am hoping that it isn't a restoration project and that real development is planned. With Grand Ave picking up, the Welnick Marketplace, and the Baptist Church (along with Crescent) could use the support of some residential. I'd love to see a 2-tower mixed income project there and a higher-end condo next to Welnick to kickstart real development down there.
And, I hope one day they do build on the lot behind Firestone with any use. Firestone (and even the Sun Devil Auto building) is perfect for a restoration project, too, which would look great in front of a modern tower.
Renaissance Renovations
http://dtphx.org/2016/02/26/renaissance-...s-street-activation-with-10m-investment/
Renaissance renovations begin this spring. I hate to criticize anything about this project, because I think it's awesome that a business owner is doing this and think it will make a huge difference, but with these new renderings and more details, I am a little disappointed in a few things. Nothing major.
1) There's only 1,500 square feet left of retail and the businesses listed are a cafe, wood-burning restaurant/grill, and ICON lounge... unless the cafe and restaurant are both new concepts from one of the big players in town, that's a pretty unimaginative use of an awesome design. Hopefully, that last space is a cool boutique or something.
2) The designs already show me something that drives me nuts about the entire city... the signage! For such a car-oriented city, signage that can be read by drivers is almost nonexistent. The hanging signs are great secondary signage for pedestrians, but larger signage along the top for drivers is needed.
"Bar Cluster"
http://dtphx.org/2016/02/19/meet-downtowns-new-emerging-bar-cluster/
So, some city official is pretending that he was some leading force behind the growing nightlife cluster near Central/Adams. Of course, we've all said that these blocks were the most urban in the city, so this wasn't totally unexpected. Regardless, they have a sheet of available space in the cluster zone, and it sounds like the Van Buren/1st Ave garage may be undergoing renovations (thank god; that arcade is so dreary looking, and the whole thing needs to be covered in art panels) and possibly has 1 tenant already since it says 3 spaces, but only 2 available. That'd be great after sitting vacant so long.
Surprised not to see the old Ghost Lounge, remaining spaces next to Cornish Pasty, and US Bank listed. And, it's a long-shot but it'd still be nice for 44M to fill its space.
Block 23
www.thiscouldbephx.com/block-23-the-past-present-and-future-of-downtown
Blog about Block 23 - the lot between Colliers and CityScape. It was actually the original town square prior to PSP and the author would like to see it returned to that state. I agree with his statement that if public money is expected for an arena, public goods should be provided in return but I want to see those benefits within the arena site. As for Block 23, I'm torn because it does function so well as public space and leaves open views of 4 major destination blocks. Also, even though the author raved about Civic Space, that park has clearly become an ASU property unfortunately, so there really is a lack of true public space in the CBD. But, that is such a prime location that it's hard to justify a park. A W Hotel and Residences n the north, and Office tower on the south would be awesome and could be built in a way that open space runs through it, though it woud be a more office park environment of course.
I'd rather see the CVS building on the PSP Block demolished and a true park recreated with view of the surrounding historic buildings. Lucky Strike and Gypsy Bar would be great additions to Colliers or to any new arena retail, and Copper Blues + Stand-Up Live would be great in Luhrs, Barrister, or the warehouses on Jackson across from USAC. The other chains could go anywhere.