HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1281  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 2:19 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Garryish
Posts: 1,110
+ 2 for me for the Old Market idea. I suppose +3 if I get Urban as a yea.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1282  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:22 PM
CoryB CoryB is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 6,201
Re costs of renos to PSB, if I recall correctly the WPS needs bomb proofing on their buildings which added a significant extra expense over fixing the crumbling exterior of the PSB. That would mean say moving the Planning department into the PSB would cost less than repairing it for WPS.

That said, if it is demoed they can slap some grass on the vacant lot, call in a dog park, and cross off another of Bowman's campaign promises.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1283  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:31 PM
drew's Avatar
drew drew is offline
the first stamp is free
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Hippyville, Winnipeg
Posts: 8,929
I can't see how it would be that astronomical of a cost to remove the exterior finish, put up something new, and rehab the main floor for barrier free access. Even if we are adding new mechanical systems, this cannot be an $80 million price tag.

Another plus is that as an existing building, it gets grandfathered past the new energy code.

Ceiling to floor glass for everyone!!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1284  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:37 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ I may be misremembering, but wasn't it implied that the City would be moving PP&D from Fort Garry Place into the Graham office tower? I'm sure they would probably fill up at least 2, possibly even 3 floors. So that's a big chunk out of the civic accommodations budget right there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1285  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:41 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Garryish
Posts: 1,110
IMO, all civic departments not operating out of city hall should move to the offices on Graham. I think it only makes sense. They have it - may as well use it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1286  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:44 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,364
^I can't see why the City wouldn't move their offices into the Graham Ave tower. They own a flipping 10 storey building, are renting space elsewhere, and can't figure out what to do.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1287  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:44 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG View Post
IMO, all civic departments not operating out of city hall should move to the offices on Graham. I think it only makes sense. They have it - may as well use it.
I agree in principle, although I believe they are locked into some long term leases in the Confederation and Bank of Hamilton Buildings, possibly others. That could be a tricky sublease, assuming they are even able to do so... weren't those basically sweetheart deals intended to save and rehabilitate those heritage office buildings?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1288  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:50 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
Add me as a +1 on the old market idea. Perfectly takes care of the footprint that has to be public use, makes sense of the name "Old Market Square", and leaves the rest of the lot free for residential development. It was a pretty small, simple building too, so while it's not the cheapest option, I'm sure it wouldn't be too prohibitively expensive.
The difficulty is that we already have a public market downtown that loses money every year. Should we be building another market that would essentially compete with the one that we already have? How can we ensure that this new public market doesn't also lose money, thus becoming a yearly drain?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1289  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 4:56 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimeFadesAway View Post
The difficulty is that we already have a public market downtown that loses money every year. Should we be building another market that would essentially compete with the one that we already have? How can we ensure that this new public market doesn't also lose money, thus becoming a yearly drain?
We don't have a REAL market where fresh food is the focus. Building another Forks Market where it's mainly about fast food and cheap tchotchkes is pointless, either this thing would be for food producers or don't even bother.

Although frankly, I'm not sure how well a big market on the old market site would be supported these days... I doubt it would draw anything approaching St. Norbert Market-like numbers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1290  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:00 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Add 500+ residential units in the area, including a redevelopment of the McLaren, and a market would thrive. I could see many people who work within a few blocks grabbing items during the day and on their way home.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1291  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:33 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
We don't have a REAL market where fresh food is the focus. Building another Forks Market where it's mainly about fast food and cheap tchotchkes is pointless, either this thing would be for food producers or don't even bother.

Although frankly, I'm not sure how well a big market on the old market site would be supported these days... I doubt it would draw anything approaching St. Norbert Market-like numbers.
Maybe an antiques and crafts market, like we have at St. Lawrence Market in Toronto. It would be hard to convince food vendors or customers to switch from St. Norbert to a downtown location.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1292  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:36 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,364
The Forks is pretty much a crafts market. Upstairs is full of people hocking their wares.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1293  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:41 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
Maybe an antiques and crafts market, like we have at St. Lawrence Market in Toronto. It would be hard to convince food vendors or customers to switch from St. Norbert to a downtown location.
Agreed... these things tend to do well where there is a large local population nearby, and I just don't think that the handful of Exchange District condo owners, Chinatown apartment dwellers and Centennial area residents within walking distance would really be enough to keep a market afloat.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1294  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:46 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I can't see how it would be that astronomical of a cost to remove the exterior finish, put up something new, and rehab the main floor for barrier free access. Even if we are adding new mechanical systems, this cannot be an $80 million price tag.

Another plus is that as an existing building, it gets grandfathered past the new energy code.

Ceiling to floor glass for everyone!!
From a design perspective, building out the ground level towards Princess to offer storefront activity, replacing some of the facade with glass could look great. The tension created by such a design scheme would be dramatic.

http://blog.archpaper.com/2015/07/suffol...talist-city-hall-glass-veil/#more-106271

http://qe1pr67o4hj19lx494tvhiwf.wpengine...t/uploads/2015/08/uk-station-550x304.jpg

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/art-...or-national-arts-centre/article22020748/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1295  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 5:58 PM
Andy6's Avatar
Andy6 Andy6 is offline
Starring as himself
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Toronto Yorkville
Posts: 9,764
Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
The Forks is pretty much a crafts market. Upstairs is full of people hocking their wares.
True, but where do people in Winnipeg go on weekends to see antique/junk dealers set up at tables selling jewelry, coins, old crockery, used books, used clothes, etc.? I'd go downtown for that -- the Exchange District makes a great backdrop for that kind of thing and would add to the atmosphere around it. Just as St. Norbert, being semi-rural, has kind of the right feel for buying food from farmers (not to mention accessibility for them).

I'd be the first to agree, however, that it's not really something that is likely to sustain an entire market.
__________________
crispy crunchy light and snappy
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1296  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:00 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,364
There's flea markets setup around town. There are a number of antique stores in the west exchange. So could be a good synergy there. A farmers market wouldn't work. As there is no produce being generated right now, everything is covered in snow.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1297  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:07 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Add 500+ residential units in the area, including a redevelopment of the McLaren, and a market would thrive. I could see many people who work within a few blocks grabbing items during the day and on their way home.
Agreed. I also think the same thing about the Forks Market suffering... with all the planned residential there it will be just fine. I don't think there's that many people (if any) going there just to buy food now, mostly just Forks visitors. So I don't think it'd notice at all if another market opened tomorrow in the Exchange.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew View Post
I can't see how it would be that astronomical of a cost to remove the exterior finish, put up something new, and rehab the main floor for barrier free access. Even if we are adding new mechanical systems, this cannot be an $80 million price tag.
Isn't most (if not all) the argument for keeping it because of the "historic" facade? What's the point of removing it and keeping the main building if it's already not an ideal use of space. You couldn't even convert the King and William sides to CRUs because the floor is 5 feet off the ground.

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I agree in principle, although I believe they are locked into some long term leases in the Confederation and Bank of Hamilton Buildings, possibly others. That could be a tricky sublease, assuming they are even able to do so... weren't those basically sweetheart deals intended to save and rehabilitate those heritage office buildings?
There's probably enough suburban offices that should be downtown to fill up that building without relocating ones that are already downtown. Like the Board of Adjustment on Pembina. That being said I'd be ok with freeing up that main floor of Confederation because it has a lot of potential for better commercial use. Hamilton building is pretty much destined for office anyway due to lack of windows.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1298  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:16 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
There's probably enough suburban offices that should be downtown to fill up that building without relocating ones that are already downtown. Like the Board of Adjustment on Pembina. That being said I'd be ok with freeing up that main floor of Confederation because it has a lot of potential for better commercial use. Hamilton building is pretty much destined for office anyway due to lack of windows.
I couldn't agree more re: Confed. It bothers me that the classic old CRUs are squandered on civic office space, although I recognize that since the rest of the pedestrian streetscape around there has been decimated there probably isn't much demand for streetfront CRU space anyway... I wish they'd try, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1299  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:20 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I couldn't agree more re: Confed. It bothers me that the classic old CRUs are squandered on civic office space, although I recognize that since the rest of the pedestrian streetscape around there has been decimated there probably isn't much demand for streetfront CRU space anyway... I wish they'd try, though.
I disagree about the streetscape around there though, that's the best two blocks of Main right now, although mostly all on the west side. But if they left, their cars wouldn't need to be parked in a surface lot on Main, and that lot could be redeveloped potentially.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1300  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 6:30 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
^ One block varies wildly from the next... the block with Parlour Coffee is great, the one with Confed is terrible... I mean, bank-🞵🞵🞵-nightclub, vacant lot, office building with no main level interaction, courtyard that no one uses. It's awful.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:12 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.