Quote:
Originally Posted by RyLucky
It's a great question!
Planners expect passengers to walk up to 800 m to the station, which means stations ought to ideally be separated by 1.6 km, depending on geography and local barriers. This is the case for most of our LRT network. However, there are 2 obvious gaps where we have ~3 km between stations: between chinook and 39th ave, and between Brentwood and Dalhousie. This is roughly the perfect distance to add a station between. The obvious locations would be 50th ave and Northland Mall. If we want to add more stations to the system, we could add these 2 for a fraction of the price of extending the line.
On the other hand, both of these are expected to have below-average ridership and would add 1-2 minutes to travel times for everyone traveling past. Compare that to extending the line, which adds more people but has a negligible affect on existing travel patterns.
In my opinion, building stations at 50th and Northlands makes sense if we plan on densifying the surrounding areas and improving walkability. Both have great TOD potential. These are especially great locations to live because both are surrounded by employment nodes and great residential neighbourhoods with lots of green space, schools, and recreation.
|
I'm in agreement with Socguy and Rylucky, I am doubtful if the new infill stations proposed by GCC would have greater benefits than inconveniences and capital cost.
Speaking of the NW line (the one I am most familiar with) Increased trip time would be of great inconvenience to the 2/3 of commuters whose origin or destination is Tuscany, Crowfoot, and Dalhousie. If the proposed Jorthland station could do at least 10,000 additional passengers (IIRC crowfoot does about 18,000 per day) then I could see the net benefit test being met. When I say additional passengers, this excludes any passengers that were transferred from either Dalhouseie or Brentwood.
Correct me if I am wrong, but both of Lions Park and 39th Avenue stations are infill. Neither of these stations have lived up to its potential for increased ridership.
I am most familiar with Lions Park, my daily commute I wonder why 300 people are inconvenienced to allow for additional 5-15 pax. Further, with the closeness of downtown, could these 5-15 pax using Lions Park not be handled through bus service to downtown. To/from the NW I don't see anyone using Lions Park as a destination.
Back in the day when I was living downtown one major client was along the South LRT line. Again I would question the need for 39th avenue station based solely on the lack of pax getting on and off. If the proposal was to move 39th avenue to 50th avenue, I could see this being a good compromise.
Before we start a conversation about adding stations along the red line, we should have conversation about the importance of TOD along the green line. My understanding is that SE green line sucess is heavily dependent on new TOD development for the majority of new stations that are between Ramsay and Quarry Park.
If we are putting in billions dollar investment into new LRT line that doubles our network capacity and service area, then we should concentrate all efforts to make this line a day one sucess. My estimate has SE green line has minimum of 5 stations completely dependent on TOD to justify the stations existence. To put this into perspectives he following stations have TOD under construction; Heritage, Brentwood, Westbrook, and dalhousie (limited to one development). Did I miss any TOD near LRT?
If my estimate is correct, SE green line will double the number of TOD areas with immediate potential. Simultaneously constructing the north green line will bring more TOD areas on stream. To protect the massive investment in green line, perhaps delaying new TOD on the redline is the best course of action.