HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1001  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:30 AM
KevinFromTexas's Avatar
KevinFromTexas KevinFromTexas is offline
Meh
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Austin<--->Birmingham<--->Atlanta
Posts: 55,833
According to this, it's real. It's at a business called South Congress Books. I wish we had more of this type of thing. Murals are a great asset to neighborhoods.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-stand-up-desk/texas-monthly-austin-mural/

This is the wall they painted it on.

https://www.google.com/maps/@30.2474648,...2hYYVGSacpPRQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656!6m1!1e1
__________________
My girlfriend has a poodle named Kevin.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1002  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:33 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
__________________
Follow The ATX on X:
https://x.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1003  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:34 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
That was almost a tie!
__________________
Follow The ATX on X:
https://x.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1004  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:34 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
ATD, thanks for posting that. I thought it was a good read. I could relate to it. Before I moved to the burbs in the early 90s, I spent much of my time in the old Austin from '81 to '91. I loved it then, even more now, but at a distance. When I venture to dt, though not nearly enough, I feel a vibe that didn't exist when I lived near dt. Like the writer said, except for Sixth St, and a few hot spots, dt was dead most nights. The skyline was uninspired imo. Austin didn't die, it morphed from the old to the new and continues to morph into a newer new. For us older reidents who were here since the 80's, we are witnessing the birth of a major city from a sleepy little town, and that's truly amazing.

Last edited by the Genral; Mar 5, 2016 at 4:07 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1005  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:43 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
Agreed. I grew up on the outskirts of the metro in the Hill Country, but spent a significant time in the core growing up. I went away for college and came back for several years before moving overseas. Every time I come back, there are significant additions. It is growth at an impressive rate that doesn't seem to be slowing much, if at all (it helps that Texas is growing at a significant rate across all major cities and some lesser ones also). I look forward to coming back in a few months - this time for more than just a week or two - to see everything in person! I'm indebted to all of you for keeping me up to date!

So the Independent isn't wasting any time! This is going to be so cool to see go up. I also love the connectivity provided by that pedestrian bridge there. This area in five years will be amazing as everything matures and grows more and more connected with businesses/retail moving in, more and more residents, the library, etc...very exciting times indeed.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1006  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:53 AM
AusTxDevelopment AusTxDevelopment is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 808
The fact that is an actual mural that exists makes the whole thing so much cooler.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1007  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 2:57 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
ATD, thanks for posting that. I thought it was a good read. I could relate to it. Before I moved to the burbs in the early 90s, I spent much of my time in the old Austin from '81 to '91. I loved it then, even more now, but at a distance. When I venture to dt, though not nearly enough, I feel a vibe that didn't exist when I lived near dt. Like the writer said, except for Sixth St, and a few hot spots, dt was dead most nights. The skyline was uninspired imo. Austin didn't die, it morphed from the old to the new and continues to morph into a newer new. For us older reidents who were here since the 80's, we are witnessing the birth of a major city from a sleepy little town, and that's truly amazing.
Well said. Your experiences and thoughts mirror mine.
__________________
Follow The ATX on X:
https://x.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1008  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 3:00 AM
wwmiv wwmiv is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver -> Austin
Posts: 5,846
Really this is what yall should read, who cares about the cover:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/the-culture/austin-and-the-city-of-the-eternal-boom/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1009  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 1:15 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,641
I read the article online earlier this week, and it is perhaps the best article about Austin I have ever read. I didn't see the cover image until yesterday. It is an absolutely brilliant and inspired cover that reinforces the article in so many ways. The best part is that it is a (semi) permanent addition to our wonderful city that will itself become an attraction and continue to commemorate a fleeting moment in Austin journalism.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1010  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 7:59 AM
drummer drummer is offline
World Traveler
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Austin metro area
Posts: 4,811
It was a great article. I read parts of it earlier this week and then the whole thing when you shared it, wwmiv. I meant to get back to it anyway.

I think it will be interesting to see how Austin develops over the next several decades. It had one identity for so long; now it has a newer one that is still very much in progress. Often times, identities of places/cities, etc., swing the pendulum from one side to the other over and over until it finally balances out as the city matures. I'd imagine it'll land in a happy medium of the former and newer "Austin"...the old will never fully go away, but it will adapt.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1011  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 8:47 AM
The ATX's Avatar
The ATX The ATX is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Right here, right now
Posts: 12,832
It was very appropriate to place the link for this article in this thread. It says Perry Lorenz was in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. He was the guy that drove off with the survivor in the pickup truck at the end.
__________________
Follow The ATX on X:
https://x.com/TheATX1

Things will be great when you're downtown.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1012  
Old Posted Mar 6, 2016, 1:59 PM
H2O H2O is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 1,641
Quote:
Originally Posted by The ATX View Post
It was very appropriate to place the link for this article in this thread. It says Perry Lorenz was in the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre film. He was the guy that drove off with the survivor in the pickup truck at the end.
YES! That was one of the coolest parts. I saw Chainsaw way back in high school, long before I knew anything about Austin, and loved it. I've known Perry for 15 years now, and did not know he was in it. I'm not named in the article, but some of my work is referenced, and I know many of the people named. It makes me feel all the more like I am part of something special that is way bigger than me.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1013  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 8:21 PM
Chiveman Chiveman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 40
Just for fun

Hey guys

I haven't posted on here in a while and I've had some free time so I took a model from SketchUP of The Independent and photoshopped it into the skyline.

I think it's accurate but if you have any suggestions on changing the location or perspective let me know.



Photo Cred: https://www.flickr.com/photos/133871881@N05/24491965965/

Model Cred: User I ArcCryptsKeys on SketchUP 3D Warehouse

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1014  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:08 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
For those of us who want to see the impact from different angles, that's pretty good, actually really good photoshop! For me to see another silly cap to almost match our other tallest, that's pretty sad. Still, its going to be a game changer. Now if we can get 3 or 4 more at that height or taller...
If I'm not being too greedy and you still have some time on your hands, how about popping 5th and West into that photo? That would be awesome!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1015  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:17 PM
loonytoony loonytoony is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 248
Went past the site today and it's all prepped and level. They even looked to be drilling, perhaps foundation piers? There are several pieces of heavy machinery onsite. At this rate what are the odds on a crane going up here before 5th and West stops digging?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1016  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 10:46 PM
Chiveman Chiveman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
For those of us who want to see the impact from different angles, that's pretty good, actually really good photoshop! For me to see another silly cap to almost match our other tallest, that's pretty sad. Still, its going to be a game changer. Now if we can get 3 or 4 more at that height or taller...
If I'm not being too greedy and you still have some time on your hands, how about popping 5th and West into that photo? That would be awesome!
Thanks, I agree with the comment about the silly cap.

If you can find a rendering of it that would fit this perspective or a model of it... then yes, I can add it to this haha I've been looking for one but I can't seem to find any.

IMO this building is too reserved to be our tallest... It's a step in the right direction but it could have been so much more

I might try to do this for other buildings if I can find photos that work with existing renderings.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1017  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 11:06 PM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
Yep, could have been better, it reminds me of the disjointed balcony lines on the W.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1018  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 11:28 PM
Maximusx1's Avatar
Maximusx1 Maximusx1 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Austin, Texas
Posts: 285
Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
For those of us who want to see the impact from different angles, that's pretty good, actually really good photoshop! For me to see another silly cap to almost match our other tallest, that's pretty sad. Still, its going to be a game changer. Now if we can get 3 or 4 more at that height or taller...
If I'm not being too greedy and you still have some time on your hands, how about popping 5th and West into that photo? That would be awesome!
It is a great photoshop and photoshop skyline projections were one of the original draws for me to skyscraper. BUT to rain on your parade I think 5th and West would be completely hidden by Spring/Bowie/Monarch from this angle. You can see plaza lofts poking out to the left of Bowie in the photo and 5th and West is too close to it to be visible here.

On the other hand, Austin Proper, 3rd and Shoal, and Fairmont would be great additions to this view and almost totally fill the gaps.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1019  
Old Posted Mar 9, 2016, 11:35 PM
Chiveman Chiveman is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Austin
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximusx1 View Post
It is a great photoshop and photoshop skyline projections were one of the original draws for me to skyscraper. BUT to rain on your parade I think 5th and West would be completely hidden by Spring/Bowie/Monarch from this angle. You can see plaza lofts poking out to the left of Bowie in the photo and 5th and West is too close to it to be visible here.

On the other hand, Austin Proper, 3rd and Shoal, and Fairmont would be great additions to this view and almost totally fill the gaps.
Thanks.

I think you are right about it being hidden... It might stick out above the Bowie but I'm not sure

I was going to add those in but I couldn't find any renderings or models that would allow for the perspective to look right... BUT I'm still interested in adding those in if I can find the stuff I need
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1020  
Old Posted Mar 10, 2016, 12:12 AM
the Genral's Avatar
the Genral the Genral is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Williamson County
Posts: 4,498
BUT to rain on your parade I think 5th and West would be completely hidden by Spring/Bowie/Monarch from this angle. You can see plaza lofts poking out to the left of Bowie in the photo and 5th and West is too close to it to be visible here.l:[/QUOTE]

Given the height, you don't think it would poke out just a bit? Should be easy to add.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:32 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.