HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1221  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 3:40 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
peck building has a plan but no money to do it. syntoligist spent all their money buying it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1222  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 4:05 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
They should sell it. If I had the resources, I would buy it and convert it into a boutique hotel.

http://old77hotel.com/

http://aparium.com/hotels/the-hewing-hotel/

Last edited by Urban recluse; Mar 3, 2016 at 4:15 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1223  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:00 AM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
Paperdoll Clothing at 224 McDermot is closing. Celebrating their 5th birthday and saying goodbye March 26.

The List restaurant and lounge right next door on McDermot looked open when I passed by on Sunday evening around 7pm.

Forth (coffee shop) at 171 McDermot has a bar "coming soon" in their lower level according to their Instagram forth_wpg
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1224  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 5:18 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Hopefully the space will not sit vacant for long. The List opened today I believe.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1225  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 6:02 PM
TimeFadesAway TimeFadesAway is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 777
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
peck building has a plan but no money to do it. syntoligist spent all their money buying it
The whole Scientology Centre thing (they call them 'Ideal Orgs') is according to the article below, a giant scam designed to drag more money out of their followers. Unfortunately, the Peck building would be just one of many buildings across North America sitting idle as a result.

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alexklein/is-scientology-self-destructing#.sub6jZejA
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1226  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:30 PM
Biff's Avatar
Biff Biff is offline
What could go wrong?
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 9,933
.................
__________________
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1227  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 7:34 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Having the Scientologists sit on the Peck Building is annoying, but at least they're aren't (so far as I can tell) engaging in demolition by neglect. However, I really wish they'd sell the damn thing to someone who wants to renovate it... I doubt they'd ever need a building that big in Winnipeg anyway.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1228  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 8:00 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
The potential.

I hope a lot more of the city's budget goes towards the Exchange.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Mar 3, 2016 at 8:41 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1229  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 9:10 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Garryish
Posts: 1,110
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
They should sell it. If I had the resources, I would buy it and convert it into a boutique hotel.

http://old77hotel.com/

http://aparium.com/hotels/the-hewing-hotel/
What do you think of converting The Bay to a boutique hotel? (I know it's not in the same area) but wouldn't it be grand?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1230  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 9:28 PM
Authentic_City's Avatar
Authentic_City Authentic_City is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Winnipeg, MB
Posts: 1,790
Has this already been discussed? I snapped this a couple of weeks back. What is this going to be?

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1231  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 9:28 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Clothing store I believe.

I would love to see the Bay building converted into a hotel. Unfortunately, there is not enough vision to go around. Thankfully Chipman and Richardson have a healthy dose. I am not sure if the mechanics of it, but TIF needs to be expanded. It is my understanding it is not utilized properly? Many US cities with more vibrant downtowns and heritage buildings redeveloped, such as Grand Rapids, Indianapolis, etc have been utilizing TIF for much longer; I know Bartley Kives mentioned it was "broken", and Stefano Grande has issues with it, which is why we are not seeing more redevelopment. Again, I am no expert on how it works or what it's flaws are. I do know, however, that the downtown has too many buildings which are in need of refreshing, renovating and redevelopment.

Last edited by Urban recluse; Mar 3, 2016 at 9:39 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1232  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 9:35 PM
BigG's Avatar
BigG BigG is offline
Ignore these four words.
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Fort Garryish
Posts: 1,110
What is TIF?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1233  
Old Posted Mar 3, 2016, 9:38 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1234  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 1:57 AM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Authentic_City View Post
Has this already been discussed? I snapped this a couple of weeks back. What is this going to be?

That's Ordnry Clothing - I believe they're just remodelling.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1235  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:34 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Report on Public safety building:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/public-safety-building-report-winnipeg-1.3476518

I say tear it down and replace it with buildings that are inviting, not fortress-like slabs of concrete that detract from what the area could become.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1236  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 8:48 PM
esquire's Avatar
esquire esquire is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Posts: 37,480
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Report on Public safety building:

http://www.cbc.ca/beta/news/canada/manitoba/public-safety-building-report-winnipeg-1.3476518

I say tear it down and replace it with buildings that are inviting, not fortress-like slabs of concrete that detract from what the area could become.
Yeah, I'd agree. In a perfect world I'd like to see the PSB remain, but there are too many costly challenges associated with that. However, I can't say I'm in love with the options that were presented... it sounds like the block will be squandered on a small building, a low density parking structure, and "public space" which the block already has and virtually nobody ever uses.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1237  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 9:17 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
I have to think CV will take the report with a grain of salt, and come up with a higher density development incorporating more.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1238  
Old Posted Mar 4, 2016, 10:29 PM
biguc's Avatar
biguc biguc is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: pinkoland
Posts: 11,905
Doesn't Bowman want to open a downtown community centre? Why not there?
__________________
no
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1239  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 7:23 PM
buzzg buzzg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 7,834
^Yes, ORDNRY is just renovating.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1240  
Old Posted Mar 5, 2016, 9:22 PM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Yeah, I'd agree. In a perfect world I'd like to see the PSB remain, but there are too many costly challenges associated with that. However, I can't say I'm in love with the options that were presented... it sounds like the block will be squandered on a small building, a low density parking structure, and "public space" which the block already has and virtually nobody ever uses.
A super-sized parkade with public space sounds depressing. That'll give the block about as much life as it has today...
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 1:49 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.