Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester
I feel weird saying this as probably one of the more leftist people on this forum: but I kinda feel like the market can handle this one? If downtown rents are so high that *no* businesses can function and entire streets are shuttered then there is an incentive for landlords to lower rents so that they can, you know, actually collect rent...
|
Tell that to the people in Coal Harbour. It's starting to feel like a bank down there: deserted after hours and in reality the buildings aren't places to live but just stacks of money people have invested.
And I don't know if business rents go down that fast. Some might try to hold out for what their neighbors are getting. And if you do lower your rent to get a tenant, if that causes a rebound in the neighbourhood, then you can just jack up the rent later, they move out, then we just start all over again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewWester
I guess part of this discussion is what constitutes a mom-and-pop shop. If you mean independent businesses, I'm not sure they are being entirely displaced. Like, Gastown is filled with upscale small businesses that don't fit the "mom and Pop" mold, but are still smaller, independent stores. I agree there is a gradual loss of mid-to-lower range stores and a concentration of premium or luxury brands/experiences downtown. But is that purely rent driven? Or are the absurd rents/costs of DT creating a luxury cliental and displacing the mid-to-lower businesses? Like, is Ma and Pa Dollarmart gone because of rents or because the cliental for Ma and Pa Dollarmart don't live DT anymore?
|
High rents/costs for downtown housing is only one side of the cost of living equation. You also have to factor in how much it costs to eat. Non rich people downtown are being squeeze from both ends. If low cost grocery stores and restaurants and clothing stores are subsidized a bit, then it eases the financial pressure on those that are not well off.
Call me crazy, but I don't think the best outcome for downtown Vancouver is to become homogenized as a rich person's resort. Some diversity is needed to keep the spark alive in downtown. Some people just want to get a reasonably priced haircut, not go to a day spa. You know?
And I'm not just talking mom-and-pop. But what if something like Marketplace IGA can't afford to stay open? What if they increase their prices significantly? What effect does that have on people who live paycheck to paycheck?
It is in a pretty good balance right now, but what if it just gets too expensive for regular people to live there? And not just people who buy now, but many white collar workers already have places downtown. Something that was a solid financial plan 10 years ago might be unsustainable today. It would be a shame to see them all sell their places to foreign investors and move to Burnaby and beyond.