HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #1141  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:41 AM
Portmanteau's Avatar
Portmanteau Portmanteau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Perhaps a decade from now, the buildings will be sold, and new, larger windows will be installed. Certainly loft living is attractive with large windows as a basic feature.
This. In a decade when the Exchange is fulfilling it's potential I bet these rentals will go condo. New windows will be part of the conversion.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1142  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 3:53 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Portmanteau View Post
This. In a decade when the Exchange is fulfilling it's potential I bet these rentals will go condo. New windows will be part of the conversion.
iulegal to convert them to condos
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1143  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 4:25 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Why would that be?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1144  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 5:19 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Why would that be?
u cant do it to an ocpided building for x number of years really had the rules tightened on it
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1145  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 2:43 PM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
I noticed today that variance notices are up on the 98 Market site. I didn't get a chance to stop and take a look though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1146  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:03 PM
Portmanteau's Avatar
Portmanteau Portmanteau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by oftheMoon View Post
I noticed today that variance notices are up on the 98 Market site. I didn't get a chance to stop and take a look though.

Was just coming here to comment that. They went up last week - they're all Greek to me though. Funnily enough, some good Samaritan
only tore off the District Condos notice from the adjacent telephone pole in the fall. Construction completed 2011
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1147  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:17 PM
Portmanteau's Avatar
Portmanteau Portmanteau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1ajs View Post
u cant do it to an ocpided building for x number of years really had the rules tightened on it

I glanced through the new condo act and all I could see were new rules on the amount of notice required to existing tenants, and right of first refusal. That, and reserve fund rules and inspections of course.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1148  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 8:18 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Can anyone with inside info reveal anything about the newest plans for the pump house?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1149  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:18 PM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Can anyone with inside info reveal anything about the newest plans for the pump house?
No inside info from me, but my GF works with someone who lives in Sky II and said to her the other day, "so did you hear they want to put up a building behind the pump house". That's all I know...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1150  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:23 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Interesting. Parkade?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1151  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:36 PM
oftheMoon's Avatar
oftheMoon oftheMoon is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: East Exchanger
Posts: 675
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
Interesting. Parkade?
No idea lol, but am very curious.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1152  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 9:43 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,359
I think there was always a plan to put up a parkade behind the pumphouse. It stretched over Amy St IIRC? Maybe that was specific to that proposal for the pumphouse. But pretty sure there is some form of parkade to go up there no matter what. The James St parkade, which has floundered in failed RFP's. From the SSP insiders, that one is moving forward again.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1153  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 10:21 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
No more museums please. The pump house would make a great market.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1154  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 10:40 PM
bomberjet bomberjet is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg
Posts: 16,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
No more museums please. The pump house would make a great market.
Fantastic idea. That'd be cool getting your green onions from a table setup next to a centuries old pump.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1155  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 10:44 PM
windypeg windypeg is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 417
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban recluse View Post
No more museums please. The pump house would make a great market.
In theory yes, but it took almost a decade to fill the other commercial units on Waterfront so I'm not sure how realistic that is. A residential tower on top would bring the customers needed to support a market in the pumphouse but we've learned the NIMBYs in the area will fight that for some reason.

Whatever happens I think they should preserve at least some part of the machinery for people to look at, not so much a museum as a monument somewhere inside the space...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1156  
Old Posted Feb 11, 2016, 11:04 PM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
The last project--mammoth in scale--was approved. I suspect if the plan includes a residential tower atop, it should go through city hall easily. Perhaps it will be one of the projects CV revealed regarding proposals for rentals.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1157  
Old Posted Feb 12, 2016, 8:08 PM
Portmanteau's Avatar
Portmanteau Portmanteau is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 107
Isn't there an RFP for the James Ave parkade coming out in April? Would that not be the building she speaks of behind the Pump House?

I'm invoking Murphy's Law here - I expect construction to begin this spring at this location... since I just moved my car to this lot from 90 Market.

In any event, something must be going on with the Pump House proper, because I see people coming and going pretty regularly. There can't be that many looky-loos booking private tours right?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1158  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:14 AM
sam_c sam_c is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: NE Exchange
Posts: 15
I am curious if there are any current plans to approach potentially interested parties for an Exchange District grocer?

While I love the idea of a locally-owned grocer in the area (DeLuca's, My Farmer's Market, etc), I am wondering if it might make more sense to have the BIZ or CentreVenture contact someone larger as well? When traveling in Toronto recently, I noticed a store called Independent City Market, which I learned was an urban grocer by Loblaws (ie. Superstore). The fact that larger companies like these have smaller versions in other cities' downtown areas makes me think they might be interested in Winnipeg's downtown at some point...?

As the development of the old Brick's Furniture on Market Ave continues, I can't help but think the space would lend itself quite well to a grocer - it's a great location in the middle of the ever-growing East Exchange residences, and close to many of the daytime offices and the evening crowds who are around for shows at MTC/concert hall. The space is quite large, and has a back alley and loading dock would lend themselves very well to a grocer and it would be a waste if not considered for this use. I believe the space also has a freight elevator and basement storage. With talk of potentially closing the LC on Ellice, I wonder if there might be interest in an LC Express elsewhere downtown like they have in the airport and some Superstores, Safeways.

I also have to wonder if CentreVenture would ever consider purchasing this space and subsidizing rent should a local small business have any interest. Not totally sure if this is something they could or would do...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1159  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 1:45 AM
Urban recluse Urban recluse is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Posts: 4,797
Perhaps Loblaws is in talks with Fortress to occupy Skycity. I believe the push is present from the downtown biz and CV; I do not believe that is the issue. If there is profit to be made, these large grocery store companies will open a location in the area.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #1160  
Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 3:05 AM
NK59 NK59 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2015
Posts: 83
Quote:
Originally Posted by windypeg View Post
In theory yes, but it took almost a decade to fill the other commercial units on Waterfront so I'm not sure how realistic that is. A residential tower on top would bring the customers needed to support a market in the pumphouse but we've learned the NIMBYs in the area will fight that for some reason.
The NIMBY's also have yet to see their Waterfront condo's appreciate. My bet is encouraging growth would help with this, but 1 NIMBY usually outweighs 10 who just don`t bother participating.

Downtown residential is just not dense enough in any one particular area to support a grocer. Nobody wants to carry their groceries 4 blocks. Now what they need to target is a downtown weekly grocery delivery service IMO.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 5:04 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.