HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #9301  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:41 PM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by Procrastinational View Post
That is very misleading. In and around Vancouver, summer temperatures can be as much as 10 degrees warmer just 20 minutes away from the ocean. 30+ is not rare in many of the suburbs of Vancouver that aren't on the water. The same is true for the suburbs north of Victoria. Saanich gets pretty warm.
Oh dear god, is this entire conversation really going to happen all over again? If people are actually craving the regional climate/temperature comparison discussion so much, can't someone just post a link to one of the previous ones??
     
     
  #9302  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:49 PM
Monolith's Avatar
Monolith Monolith is offline
Pacific Breeze
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southwestern British Columbia
Posts: 1,234

Vancouver Timelapse
by vancityhotshots, on Flickr Taken on January 14, 2016


2016-01-21_07-52-34
by Ying-Chieh Chao, on Flickr Taken on January 21, 2016


Cloud 9 restaurant
by Ying-Chieh Chao, on Flickr Taken on January 21, 2016
     
     
  #9303  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:49 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,827
edit...
     
     
  #9304  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:50 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I know it might seem that way right now, but in reality, the winter will be over in only a few short months.
Don't remind me. I want to enjoy it while it lasts.
     
     
  #9305  
Old Posted Jan 23, 2016, 11:52 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nouvellecosse View Post
I know it might seem that way right now, but in reality, the winter will be over in only a few short months.
I thought mistercorporate meant the highrises go on forever... has nothing to do with the weather...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistercorporate View Post
Ohh lawdd jeeezus...

It goes on forever...


View from CN Tower by chech1965, on Flickr
     
     
  #9306  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 12:26 AM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko999 View Post
You haven't seen temps over 30C in over two years either.



Going over 30 is normal in the summer and I hate it. Too humid.
     
     
  #9307  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 12:40 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is offline
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by koops65 View Post
I thought mistercorporate meant the highrises go on forever... has nothing to do with the weather...
I was making a "joke."
     
     
  #9308  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 1:16 AM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I haven't seen snow on the ground in over two years.
How can it snow if it's raining all the time?
     
     
  #9309  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:55 AM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
I thought I was on the weather thread for a minute. And I don't see how the TO picture makes it look like an Arctic city, you don't even see snow on it. That was a good picture btw.
     
     
  #9310  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 4:47 AM
Pinion Pinion is offline
See ya down under, mates
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 5,167
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
How can it snow if it's raining all the time?
I wasn't trying to say Vancouver weather is superior, just tired of the "Canada is _____" stereotypes when, no, it's not like that for millions of us. I've never never experienced a harsh winter, never seen a moose, Tim Horton's is just a newish smaller chain getting their 🞵🞵🞵 kicked by Starbucks, etc. etc.

It's worse on other sites than here (e.g. reddit) so I'll stop the off topic posts now.
     
     
  #9311  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 11:46 AM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,562
A harsh winter is a matter of perspective. For many people on the planet Vancouver does experience cold harsh winters.

Anyways your list is basically the same for anyone who lives in a major city but thats how stereotypes work.
     
     
  #9312  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 1:08 PM
koops65's Avatar
koops65 koops65 is offline
Intergalactic Barfly
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Quarks Bar
Posts: 8,827
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinion View Post
I wasn't trying to say Vancouver weather is superior, just tired of the "Canada is _____" stereotypes when, no, it's not like that for millions of us. I've never never experienced a harsh winter, never seen a moose, Tim Horton's is just a newish smaller chain getting their 🞵🞵🞵 kicked by Starbucks, etc. etc.

It's worse on other sites than here (e.g. reddit) so I'll stop the off topic posts now.
Tim Hortons was founded in 1964, Starbucks was founded in 1971, so if you think Tim Hortons is newish, then Starbucks must be premature...
     
     
  #9313  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 1:15 PM
Metro-One's Avatar
Metro-One Metro-One is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Japan
Posts: 18,029
I think he means relative to the west coast. Starbucks was popular and big well before Tim Hortons moved in on the west coast.
     
     
  #9314  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:07 PM
TownGuy's Avatar
TownGuy TownGuy is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Cobourg, ON
Posts: 3,562
Starbucks is likely more popular than Tims in any urban setting in the country. Get out to the suburbs and it changes.
     
     
  #9315  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 2:40 PM
Martin Mtl's Avatar
Martin Mtl Martin Mtl is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Posts: 9,075
     
     
  #9316  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 3:37 PM
Beedok Beedok is offline
Exiled Hamiltonian Gal
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 6,797
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
Starbucks is likely more popular than Tims in any urban setting in the country. Get out to the suburbs and it changes.
I think that the reverse is true. Outside a few more gentrified neighbourhoods the suburbs tend to be much more middle class starbucks visiting folks than people in the urban part of the city, who are in a hurry and just need to grab a quick coffee at 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 Tim's.
     
     
  #9317  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 6:04 PM
thmx
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Content removed
     
     
  #9318  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 6:11 PM
caltrane74's Avatar
caltrane74 caltrane74 is offline
gettin' rich!
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Toronto
Posts: 34,204
In downtown Toronto from personal experience the busiest Tim Horton's is busier than the busiest Starbucks. Even on average Tim Horton's locations are more packed than Starbucks.

However Starbucks has the "hipper and cooler" people that frequent their locations.

Other things I've noticed.

• The girls/customers at Starbucks are gorgeous.
• The lady/female customers at Tims are average to hot (downtown), but a lot of ugly ones too.
• The Cashiers at Tim's in the suburbs are hot, not so much downtown. (but there are some fine ones)
• Cashiers downtown are much more friendly and chaty than those in the suburbs.
     
     
  #9319  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 6:48 PM
dtgeek dtgeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 145
Quote:
Originally Posted by TownGuy View Post
A harsh winter is a matter of perspective. For many people on the planet Vancouver does experience cold harsh winters.

Anyways your list is basically the same for anyone who lives in a major city but thats how stereotypes work.
For a lot of people the difference in daylight would be harsher than the temperature. Vancouver gets 34 minutes less daylight than Toronto today. The temperature difference is easily dealt with by clothing choice, but SAD is a real thing.

For me the rain (yes I like rain, it makes everything green!) and the milder summers with longer days are where Vancouver wins out climate wise. I don't get why people tout their "mild" winters so much, and overlook the other benefits!
     
     
  #9320  
Old Posted Jan 24, 2016, 7:53 PM
le calmar's Avatar
le calmar le calmar is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Ottawa
Posts: 5,240
Quote:
Originally Posted by caltrane74 View Post
In downtown Toronto from personal experience the busiest Tim Horton's is busier than the busiest Starbucks. Even on average Tim Horton's locations are more packed than Starbucks.

However Starbucks has the "hipper and cooler" people that frequent their locations.

Other things I've noticed.

• The girls/customers at Starbucks are gorgeous.
• The lady/female customers at Tims are average to hot (downtown), but a lot of ugly ones too.
• The Cashiers at Tim's in the suburbs are hot, not so much downtown. (but there are some fine ones)
• Cashiers downtown are much more friendly and chaty than those in the suburbs.
Except the last point, I tend to agree with your "analysis" (I noticed that the older cashiers are usually less friendly though). I spend at least an afternoon per week in a coffee shop, because that's where I prefer working on my pictures or doing stuff unrelated to work. In downtown Ottawa at the intersection of Metcalfe and Slater, there is a Starbucks, a Second Cup and a Tim Horton's on three different corners. I am sure the Tim is full of downtown workers during the week, but during the weekend it is almost always empty. The 5 to 10 persons inside are definitely not yuppies/hipsters, more like boomers, teenagers and older persons.

The Starbucks is always overcrowded and full of students, hipsters. The Second Cup, despite offering a similar atmosphere/products tends to be half empty most of the time. It does fill up when the Starbucks is full though, at if it was a last resort option. Personally, if I can chose between a Starbucks and a Second Cup, I will chose the latter. I like Starbucks but think it is overrated.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:42 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.