Quote:
Originally Posted by dfiler
Weren't there roughly 700 people displaced from the Penn Plaza apartments alone? As leases ran out, renewals weren't offered. Then around 500 people got eviction notices to clear the remaining units. Many could not afford similar housing in the area. The mayor ended up getting involved and the evictions were delayed. I'm not sure how that worked out.
|
That is part of a deal involving a new affordable housing plans for the Mellon's Orchard site. I agree in this case the timing seems off, but there is also a bunch of affordable housing going up in Larimer right now.
Quote:
|
Over the course of a decade, it seems like a few thousand priced-out residents would be a fairly conservative estimate.
|
I believe the available Census and ACS data doesn't show any sign of such a large effect. Again, I think all the new affordable housing is likely limiting the effect.
Edit: OK, I checked ACS data, table S1901, "Income in the Past 12 Months (In 2009 Inflation-Adjusted Dollars)", for Census Tracts 1113 and 1115:
2014 was the latest available, 2009 the earliest. I calculated the estimated total number of households with less than $25,000.
Results: 2009 for 1113 I got 525, down to 440 in 2014. 2009 for 1115 I got 1108, down to 895 in 2014.
These are just estimates based on surveys which have some error, and in fact I am not sure those changes are outside the margin of error. But taking them at face value, there has been some reduction in the number of lower-income households, but not in the thousands (there really can't be too many thousands, it turns out--there are not that many lower-income households in East Liberty). Instead, that adds up to 298. Again, that is not necessarily all forced displacements--some households likely would have moved out anyway over time. But it is not nothing either.