Regarding Ryanrule post above, the townhomes, or single family homes placed along river there are to bring down scale along pedestrian path. You could argue it would be better left as landscaping or park space, but I do not mind having a lower scale building with rich materiality contributing the pedestrian path. Stepping the scale down in this manner using townhomes was done pretty well by River View project on north side of river just west of old Spire site. In that case, the town homes also had the added benefit of covering up a 4 story parking garage. It's not a comment on the specific architecture details in that case, but more the planning on massing concept.
Funny you mention the Kyaker, Harry. I saw that in the rendering before I noticed the actual buildings. What in the F? I like the proposal, thanks Spyguy. Those small condos are a nice little response to the Weese homes at Kinzie. It all should be great for that stretch of the river.
Regarding Ryanrule post above, the townhomes, or single family homes placed along river there are to bring down scale along pedestrian path. You could argue it would be better left as landscaping or park space, but I do not mind having a lower scale building with rich materiality contributing the pedestrian path. Stepping the scale down in this manner using townhomes was done pretty well by River View project on north side of river just west of old Spire site. In that case, the town homes also had the added benefit of covering up a 4 story parking garage. It's not a comment on the specific architecture details in that case, but more the planning on massing concept.
— that... Townhouses are NIMBY incubators and I say this as an architectural tour guide on the Chicago River that has has to hear about the whiny bitchy people who've complained about both the smell from Bloomers and the noise from tour boats on the north branch.