HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

-also note the old Washington Hotel down below.
It's the Wellington Hotel and Apartments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 7:58 PM

Thanks for the correction. I got my Ws mixed up.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 22, 2015 at 11:31 PM.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 8:04 PM

This Julius Shulman photoset is a bit of a mystery. I know where it is - Los Angeles International Airport - but I haven't been able to find any more information about it. This is "Job 3855: A. Charles Draper, Los Angeles International Airport, The Tap Room (Los Angeles, Calif.), 1965". The three color images in the set duplicate the black & white ones, so I've gone with color so you can fully appreciate the brownness .

This image was originally upside-down (the black & white version is the right way up). What I originally took to be a pattern on the wall turned out to be partially exposed brickwork. The shields I can read on this side bear the names Shelley, Hervey, Fauconer and Fishacre.

Were the stirrups used to help the patrons stand up? These shields say Charles II, Loreyn, Willouby and Erskine. A couple of heraldry and ancestry sites mention the names as part of a much larger set, but what connects this selection to The Tap Room?

All from Getty Research Institute

Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 9:27 PM

I sure hope somebody identifies The Tap Room, because I'm sure I've been there and it's driving me nuts not to remember where it was. At first I thought it might have been part of one of the airline VIP lounges but the outside appears to be a public hallway, and there's no airline logos on the glasses -- most lounges used the line's first class glassware.

"Of all the bars in all the airports in all the world, you had to post a picture of this one." Or something :-)

Cheers,

Earl

Last edited by Earl Boebert; Dec 22, 2015 at 11:16 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:30 AM

I've been looking for the tap room and have come up with zilch. I even googled "ugly wood paneling".
__

Virginia Clauson in Los Angeles Court / Annulment, January 14, 1958.

Dressed to a T and flashing that diamond brooch!

usc digital archive

There's one more photograph here, with a clearer view of that brooch.
http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...d/50220/rec/10

detail

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 23, 2015 at 1:21 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:42 AM

Murder in 1881 Los Angeles

What an interesting and amazing forum! The level of sleuth work done within these walls is admirable and much appreciated. Los Angeles is filled with a number of odd, interesting and quirky happenings.

Noir in the City of Angels is not a new thing, in fact it's historical.

William H. Brewer was a member of the California Geological Survey during the years 1860 to 1864. From the book "Up and Down California in 1860-1864; The Journal of William H. Brewer" A compilation of letters written home to his Brother and family during his 4 years in California.

You can find a transcript here:

https://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query...864;+%29%29%29

On Dec 7th 1860, Brewer writes:

"Fifty to sixty murders per year have been common here in Los Angeles, and some think it odd that there has been no violent death during the two weeks that we have been here. Yet with our care there is no considerable danger, for as I write this there are at least six heavy loaded revolvers in the tent, besides bowie knives and other arms, so we anticipate no danger. I have been practicing with my revolver and am becoming expert."

Brewer and his team went on to visit and document California in a way no one had every done. They reached the farthest places and highest peaks, many before anyone else. Brewer was the first to climb Santiago peak in Orange County and saw the region, for over one hundred miles in all directions. He also was the first to document the height of Mt. Shasta.

This sets the stage for our violent locale, where murders continue at an alarming rate to present day.

I would think this counts as 'Historical Noir', if not please continue reading.

The murder of Francisco Forster.

One of the more poignant murders occurred on March 15th, 1881. Francisco 'Chico' Forster, 40 year old son of John Forster and Ysidora Pico of the Los Flores Rancho, now the Camp Pendleton area, was shot dead at Commercial and Los Angeles streets in broad day light. Forster was the son of a well to do rancher. He had stolen the virtue of 18 year old Lastania Abarta under the condition of marriage, but after he had taken his prize his promise of nuptials soon disappeared. She and her sister searched the city and found him at the local race track. When he refused to marry, she shot him once through the eye. Forster's rich father, John Forster husband of Ysidora Pico, hired a lawyer to be sure she was prosecuted. However, She was acquitted under the pretext of a popular belief: female hysteria. Dr. Joseph Kurtz, a local physician of formidable reputation assured her freedom when he stated 'Any virtuous woman when deprived of her virtue would go mad, undoubtedly'. With this the jury acquitted her.

The original article appears in the Los Angeles Herald archive located here:
http://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=LAH18810429.2.12

Interesting locations related to Forsters murder, for those who have the time and resource to find:

The Forster ranch was the Los Flores Rancho located on what is now Camp Pendleton.
Lastania's virtue was lost at the Moiso Mansion Hotel
The murder occurred at Commercial and Los Angeles Street
I'm not sure where the court was located at the time
The Abarta family owned a pool hall near present Downey (?)
Francisco was located at the horse track at Agricultural Park (Now Exposition Park)
Dr. Joseph Kurtz must have had an office in the area, at least a residence.

A side note: The Los Flores ranch has an old horse track, now crossed by interstate 5 with a WWII airfield in it's middle.
You can see this on Google Earth north of the Las Pulgas exit. I've never seen any documentation on this track. It predates
WWII and was probably constructed in the mid to late 1800's.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 12:55 AM

Spraying DDT in Santa Monica 1948.

www.latimes.com

old ad / 1947

Model Kay Heffernon is sprayed with DDT in 1948 to demonstrate that it won't contaminate her hot dog and beverage.

http://news.nationalgeographic.com/2...e-environment/

I wonder if she's still alive?

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 23, 2015 at 1:19 AM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamond-X View Post
Brewer and his team went on to visit and document California in a way no one had every done. They reached the farthest places and highest peaks,
many before anyone else. Brewer was the first to climb Santiago peak in Orange County and saw the region, for over one hundred miles in all directions.
Welcome to NLA Diamond-X! Excellent post.

Here's the Geological Survey of California field party of 1864 consisting of William H. Brewer, James T. Gardiner, Richard Cotter and Clarence King.

http://www.ucmp.berkeley.edu/about/history/lipps1.php

Brewer is the one in the chair.
__

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:06 AM

Quote:
I've been looking for the tap room and have come up with zilch. I even googled "ugly wood paneling".
__

Virginia Clauson in Los Angeles Court / Annulment, January 14, 1958.

Dressed to a T and flashing that diamond brooch!

usc digital archive

A face that would stop a clock, so to speak... reminds me of Christine Jorgensen, although I think she was prettier. Anyway, Virginia does look good in one of these pics, from the Times of Jan 15, 1958, Dec 4, 1957, respectively. Would love to know more about the heiress angle and whatever became of her.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:24 AM

Quote:
Looking back at my post on the Occidental Apartments, I realized that they were at the same address as the Portland Flats in the list of Theo Wiesendanger's properties which I posted yesterday. They obviously changed their name, as the same building is shown in the lower-right corner of the playground photos. The name change occurred somewhen before 1918 (the new name is in the 1918 CD), which is close to Mr Wiesendanger's death date of 1919 just given to us by oldstuff. The photo above dates from 1924. I think there are two possible matches for the building on the properties postcard (below), both in the four to the left of Mr Wiesendanger's head.

LAPL
Did I just miss it (I have been hurriedly catching up on the last 20 or so pages), or did no one point out the Vanderbilt Apartments at 334 S. Figueroa, directly below Mr. Wiesendanger? As in, the notorious apartment building that partially collapsed inexplicably in March 1959, taking lives with it. 4/10/57 view from the Palmer Connor collection below:

Huntington Digital Library

Also, I'm sure one of you guys already pointed out the name (which I don't know), but here's a photo of the apartment building directly to the right of Mr. Wiesendanger's head, once located at 204 N. Fremont:

from my files, possibly lapl

You can also see it here in the background of this 12/20/56 shot of the NE corner of 1st & Fremont, also by Palmer Connor:

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 5:56 AM

Christmas 1929 - 1949

Christmas 1929

City Hall Spring St. entrance decorated for the community Christmas pageant.

LAT 12-17-29

LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics45/00072076.jpg

(and similar view)

The 1929 Downtown Christmas Parade held Thanksgiving Day had a nursery rhyme theme.

LAT 11-24-29

Heading up Olive St.:

LAPL http://jpg3.lapl.org/pics45/00072079.jpg

The Christmas tree in Pershing Square in 1949 was 105-ft. tall (surpassing 1948’s tree, a shrimpy 95-ft) white fir from the Sequoia National Forest.

Heading over the Ridge Route at Mint Canyon:

LAT 11-22-49

The lighting ceremony was on November 28, 1949. The star on top was 10-ft high.
here

Virginia Mayo, as chair of the Marine’s “toys for tots” drive was expected to make an appearance.

pintrest

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:39 AM

Quote:

I just happened across this original slide that shows remnants of Bunker Hills. (late 1960s or early 1970s)

here:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/SCRTD-LOS-AN...gAAOSwo3pWddNb
Dear Lord that's good. That's Hill from 4th up to 3rd, of course (and even has Clay St up there in the upper left). It's roughly the same shot as this 'un (ca. 1964) by Mildred Harris over at LAPL:

lapl

The two bluish 4-story with the black roofs are the backsides of 328, and 330-334 Clay. The green roof is 338 Clay. Here is an image of 330/4 & 338 and some info about them, from Dawson's book.

Here's a shot by Nadel at the Getty, note the same buildings along Hill.

getty/nadel "Shopping 1955 November 29"

Note that even in Ms Harris' shot from the early-mid '60s 349, AKA "Barber College" in the Nadel shot, AKA the Univeristy Club (John Parkinson, 1904) is still standing.

usc
—really, who tears down a Parkinson? (Despite having lost its overhanging parapet.)

Here, we can see the wall predates the 1906 Sanborn—

Aaaaand nice to know though this Edwardian-era structure has remained relatively unmolested, as part of the Angel's Knoll park—

bing-maps

—which will at some point be redeveloped and we will in theory lose our Bunker retaining wall.

...forgive me if this has all been covered before. But it's one of my favorite "remnants" and I couldn't resist the temptation of going on about it...

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:17 PM

Excellent post. Now I see it all more clearly.
-& that's the first time I've noticed the "stone wall" on a sanborn map before. Thanks for pointing it out.

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tetsu View Post

The notorious apartment building that partially collapsed inexplicably in March 1959, taking lives with it. 4/10/57 view from the Palmer Connor collection below:

Tetsu, here it is after the collapse / cleaning up the debris.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/ref/co...0coll2/id/8486

"Spectators watch from the sidewalk as workers collect and clear the rubble from the razed Vanderbilt Apartments, 334 South Figueroa Street."

close-up #1

detail

close-up #2 (car lot next door) -how long to do think the old car in front of the white caddy has been there? -and the camper

detail
__

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 2:47 PM

I'm off to Illinois for the holiday.

Deanna Durbin is the Christmas Tree.

http://www.kitschy-kitschy-coo.com/b...eck-the-dress/

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE!

_____

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Dec 26, 2015 at 9:13 PM.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 3:18 PM

Anyone else have last minute Christmas shopping to do? If 7 of us get together, we can hire a Tanner Car limo (meet me at 320 S. Beaudry).

LAT 12-12-47

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noircitydame View Post
Anyone else have last minute Christmas shopping to do? If 7 of us get together, we can hire a Tanner Car limo (meet me at 320 S. Beaudry).

LAT 12-12-47
The USC digital library has a picture of the Tanner garage building on Beaudry from 1927. I can't post, but I am sure someone can find it. It was a great building, with urns on top of the three higher sections and decorations across the front. It is listed as the "Tanner Motor Livery Building" and the picture is excellent.

OOPS. Sorry, I just found that a picture taken directly from the front of the building has been posted before.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Here's another Coffee Dan's we haven't seen before - Santa Monica. [...] It's Julius Shulman's "Job 1734: Douglas Honnold and John Rex, Coffee Dan's (Santa Monica, Calif.)".

The number visible in the picture above, combined with the signpost visible here, tells us that the address was 130 Wilshire Boulevard, Santa Monica.

The exit of Coffee Dan's parking lot.
As a point of reference:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
A photographer took a series of color photos around Los Angeles in the 1950’s that were meant to be seen with a special 3-D type viewer. I came across a blog that was doing some posts about them. The source for these photos has slipped my grasp and I have been unable to find it again. (?) The following three are the (double image) photos of a Coffee Dan’s, including a multiple exposure image of the neon.

Happy Holidays to all of you!

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:19 PM

The Tap Room may have been a chain. I remember a very similar one in the San Francisco airport in the '60s. You see its entrance briefly in the movie "Bullitt," (1968) when Steve McQueen shoots a bad guy in the airport.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Tetsu, here it is after the collapse / cleaning up the debris.

http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/ref/co...0coll2/id/8486

"Spectators watch from the sidewalk as workers collect and clear the rubble from the razed Vanderbilt Apartments, 334 South Figueroa Street."

__

The Vanderbilt was originally the Roosevelt; here's an image of her from an old tourist booklet—note the Wiesendanger name there above the door. Her architect was A L Haley and she was erected in 1901.

An ignominious end:

usc usc usc

Read all about it here.

Last edited by Beaudry; Dec 23, 2015 at 9:45 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos