HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4981  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 1:50 AM
Dwils01's Avatar
Dwils01 Dwils01 is offline
Urban Fanactic
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Coquitlam
Posts: 3,285
Can anyone recommend a good image hosting site. I have photobucket but I'm ready to switch to something better because the service on that site is horrible.

It takes multiple tries to upload photos, my titles and comment on the photos don't save, it takes multiple tries to delete a photo, and when I try to edit the photo and save it, it loads 80% and just stops there.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4982  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 1:53 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
^ I never have much trouble with imgur. And there are a number of smartphone apps and browser extensions across various plaforms that are made to interface with it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4983  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 1:54 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Gorgeous. And I understand, yeah. I couldn't live in a part of town that was build post-1949 - and not just because that's also beyond any residential construction era here that's at all urban.

I'd never, ever have been able to recognize the two buildings were the same based on the picture from my post. Good eye, assuming it's not a very, very obvious street.
I gotta say I do have a very good eye for real estate in the very limited number of cities that are seriously on my radar (all of which I know very well), but it's ALSO a pretty obvious street.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4984  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:14 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good image hosting site. I have photobucket but I'm ready to switch to something better because the service on that site is horrible.

It takes multiple tries to upload photos, my titles and comment on the photos don't save, it takes multiple tries to delete a photo, and when I try to edit the photo and save it, it loads 80% and just stops there.
Flickr if you're not afraid of commitment. Imgur or Tinypic if you just want to upload something quickly and share it. On Imgur, click the Edit box beside the picture once you select it but before you upload it if you want resize. Can't do it, I believe, after you've already uploaded it.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4985  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:26 AM
Rumors's Avatar
Rumors Rumors is offline
Ciao tutti
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: French Canada.
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwils01 View Post
Can anyone recommend a good image hosting site. I have photobucket but I'm ready to switch to something better because the service on that site is horrible.

It takes multiple tries to upload photos, my titles and comment on the photos don't save, it takes multiple tries to delete a photo, and when I try to edit the photo and save it, it loads 80% and just stops there.
I have a great one but it isn't free?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4986  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 2:26 AM
Nouvellecosse's Avatar
Nouvellecosse Nouvellecosse is online now
Volatile Pacivist
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Nova Scotia
Posts: 11,368
Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
Flickr if you're not afraid of commitment. Imgur or Tinypic if you just want to upload something quickly and share it. On Imgur, click the Edit box beside the picture once you select it but before you upload it if you want resize. Can't do it, I believe, after you've already uploaded it.
With imgur you are able to edit an image after upload if you have an account and are logged in. This is what the edit screen would look like (after clicking advanced):

Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4987  
Old Posted Dec 17, 2015, 4:30 AM
franktko's Avatar
franktko franktko is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Montréal
Posts: 1,297
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
I was looking very seriously at buying that building on the right hand side with the yellow windows a few months ago, but we ultimately decided to pass.

It got sold since then. I wasn't really fond of that empty huge commercial unit (the four residential apts were fine, but you almost need to run some type of retail business yourself in the commercial unit for such a building to make financial sense), so that was kind of a deal-breaker.

Here's the listing.
http://www.epeladeau.com/fr/commercial/fiche/12558501/6_petit-champlain_(du)_rue.html#proprietes

I would've LOVED to possess a pre-1759 building (which this is). That thing was built while this was New France, and it's still there. I find that absolutely fascinating.
Jesus Christ! With a municipal evaluation of 870k you pay 27k taxes a year?? —???

Here in Mtl, with an evaluation around 580k I pay around 5k taxes a year...

It's because of the commercial part?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4988  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 6:14 AM
lio45 lio45 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Quebec
Posts: 44,901
Quote:
Originally Posted by franktko View Post
Jesus Christ! With a municipal evaluation of 870k you pay 27k taxes a year?? —???

Here in Mtl, with an evaluation around 580k I pay around 5k taxes a year...

It's because of the commercial part?
Partly, but it's also because the proper apples-to-apples comparison is between similar properties, not similar valuations.

What the city costs to run per year is mostly completely unrelated to the market value of its real estate. Municipal taxes reflect the former, not the latter.

For example, when real estate in Sherbrooke doubled over a few years, the new valuations reflected that, but the tax rate was pretty much halved, so with a whole bunch of buildings (i.e. a large-ish sample) my overall taxes stayed relatively similar even though the municipal valuations went up by more than 100% in many cases.

The wrong way to look at it (as I recall explaining to st7860 many times -- now that he's banned, I thought I wouldn't ever have to do it again ) is to say "nice, my tax rate got halved! I now pay only half the municipal taxes that I used to!".

The right way is "A given building with X units and Y square feet and Z stories used to cost $xxxx.— in municipal taxes in Sherbrooke. How does that compare to now and to other cities?"

I suspect that if your property, exactly as is, got teleported to Quebec City, you'd actually now pay less than ~$5k in municipal taxes for it. It seems high for what I suppose is a single family residential property. Then again, taxes in Montreal are pretty much the highest in the province, so it's not that surprising.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4989  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 6:40 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
December 19, 2015

Mummering in Georgestown! It's been such a wonderful, cheerful weekend thus far.

And tonight will be even better:

• Video Link


Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Stereotypical Georgestown residents on the left. They're not mummers.

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Mummering 2015 by R C, on Flickr

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; Dec 19, 2015 at 8:29 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4990  
Old Posted Dec 19, 2015, 6:59 PM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is offline
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 36,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
The wrong way to look at it (as I recall explaining to st7860 many times -- now that he's banned, I thought I wouldn't ever have to do it again ) is to say "nice, my tax rate got halved! I now pay only half the municipal taxes that I used to!".
One related thing that tends to happen though is that municipalities try to capture revenue when assessments go up. They will peg the mill rate such that they can announce a "tax cut" while still collecting more money. I haven't seen many cities where rising assessments didn't cause at least a bit of inflation in taxation on similar properties. Maybe Sherbrooke is the exception, but I wouldn't be surprised if your tax bills went up by more than general inflation, even if they didn't go up in lock step with your assessments.

Often too municipal politicians will defend their decision by saying they don't control assessments, which is essentially irrelevant as far as municipal budgets are concerned (although the assessments do impact the relative tax bills of different properties).
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4991  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 1:24 AM
Rumors's Avatar
Rumors Rumors is offline
Ciao tutti
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: French Canada.
Posts: 1,120
Mine:,,,,
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4992  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 10:13 PM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Gorgeous lighting, Rumors.

****

Alick's photos with people are always so nice. I wish I could do that.

2015 Mummers Festival Randoms by Alick Tsui Photography, on Flickr

2015 Mummers Festival Randoms by Alick Tsui Photography, on Flickr

2015 Mummers Festival Randoms by Alick Tsui Photography, on Flickr

2015 Mummers Festival Randoms by Alick Tsui Photography, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4993  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 11:21 PM
Rico Rommheim's Avatar
Rico Rommheim Rico Rommheim is offline
Look at me!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: City of Bagels
Posts: 13,933
Crisp photos rumors!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4994  
Old Posted Dec 21, 2015, 11:28 PM
matthew6 matthew6 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 577
Georgestown is my kind of neighborhood. — gorgeous !
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4995  
Old Posted Dec 22, 2015, 11:09 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Great drone tour of downtown Halifax:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Annoying music, but otherwise some interesting views of downtown:

• Video Link
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4996  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:25 AM
Echoes's Avatar
Echoes Echoes is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Saskatoon, SK
Posts: 4,540
A few from Saskatoon this past summer:


IMG_8631
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr


IMG_8655
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr










IMG_8807
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr


IMG_8795
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr


IMG_8611
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr


IMG_8786
by Echoes Saskatoon, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4997  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 4:36 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Very nice! Interesting how Saskatoon seems dominated by/built around the Bessborough - really reminds me of Victoria and QC.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4998  
Old Posted Dec 23, 2015, 6:25 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Pizza Corner, a small section of downtown wedged between Spring Garden and the Argyle strip, famous for late-night eats and formerly notorious for late-night violence and general drunken chaos (Alice Cooper used to reference it on his radio show). There is less violence these days (nights?) than 5-10 years ago, more paint, and less pizza (originally the intersection of Blowers and Grafton had pizza shops on 3 of 4 corners, hence the name).



Pizza Corner 1 by Hali87, on Flickr


Pizza Corner 2 by Hali87, on Flickr


Pizza Corner 3 by Hali87, on Flickr


Pizza Corner 4 by Hali87, on Flickr


Pizza Corner 5 by Hali87, on Flickr


Pizza Corner 6 by Hali87, on Flickr
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #4999  
Old Posted Dec 24, 2015, 5:58 AM
1ajs's Avatar
1ajs 1ajs is offline
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: lynn lake
Posts: 26,524
one of the first shots from my new lens that came today on my new camera i got a few weeks ago...

canon 17-40 on my 6d at 17mm
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #5000  
Old Posted Dec 27, 2015, 5:15 AM
SignalHillHiker's Avatar
SignalHillHiker SignalHillHiker is offline
I ♣ Baby Seals
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Sin Jaaawnz, Newf'nland
Posts: 36,339
Mobile pics, but went to a few bars outside of the main entertainment district tonight.

Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 9:09 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.