So we have $3.0 billion of the $4.5 billion now funded. I assume the Province will commit its share in the spring. Then another 2 years of design and engineering, and about 5 years of total construction. So I'd say a 2023 opening.
All very exciting. Way back in 2010 during the campaign when we pitched the idea of a new coherent transit capital plan (which became RouteAhead - Greenline being the marquee project) the rationale was largely the ability to be able to attract big dollars for LRT expansion.
This is an excerpt from the email I sent Nenshi about his platform development from June 10, 2010
Quote:
A focused plan for LRT expansion
Because transportation and transit are very high on the list of issues for people, I think making a coherent and tangible plan for LRT expansion would be a really effective campaign plank. I think a big issue with our "plans" for LRT expansion is the actual lack of a coherent plan. Speaking from my experience watching the goings on in Toronto, watching Mayor David Miller's "Transit City" Plan www.transitcity.ca opened my eyes to this issue. It very clearly identifies LRT lines that are to be built, costing, sequencing and other details. What it really did though was gave politicians at senior levels of government something tangible to grasp on to and support. Soon after the plan was launched provincial and federal dollars flowed. Since, Ontario's bleak financial situation has meant that about $4billion in funding for that project has been delayed unfortunately. Try and find a capital expansion plan for the C-Train that is clear, logical, accessible and easily understood by the public for Calgary. With no plan, there will be no money, and things will be built much more slowly. Calgary needs to create a greater sense of urgency in pushing these big pieces of transit infrastructure forward.
I would suggest coming out with a C-Train expansion plan with a similarly memorable name that can provide the basis for capital investment priorities. Right now, things are done on an ad-hoc basis with SELRT being moved up the priority list through notice of motions and other such shortsighted planning.
|