HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development


Closed Thread

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #4561  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 9:46 PM
AbortedWalrus AbortedWalrus is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stafford_phlre View Post
Completely off topic, What is everyone's thoughts on Francisville and the minor developments occurring in that neighborhood along the ridge avenue corridor?

Ive heard many people refer to it as the next Graduate hospital but also a dead end...input is valued.

Thanks
I've gained $100k+ in value on my condo in Francisville in four years. Take that as you will.

Ridge Ave from Fairmount to Girard will probably be completely infilled by 2017. As far as I know most of it is bought and in pre-construction. It won't take long for it to trickle out from Ridge at that point. Once the DL and the potentially huge development behind it with a super market are done it will probably be nearing peak value.

Related to this, does anyone know how to get lists of new construction properties being built in an area? My wife and I are looking to upgrade our house and wanted to go in a new construction direction, but every time I see a listing anywhere it's already pending sale.
     
     
  #4562  
Old Posted Dec 1, 2015, 11:44 PM
ScreamShatter ScreamShatter is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 2,103
Quote:
Originally Posted by Human Scale View Post
-5 year lookout: Fishtown
Current: East Passyunk
5 year lookout: Point Breeze (cheap stock, CHOP)
10 year lookout: Francisville/Fairmount & Broad (multiple investment projects)
15 year lookout: Powelton/Mantua (railyard capping)
I don't buy into Powelton/Mantua being anything more than a college kid thing eventually. The neighborhoods that are developing the quickest are all ones that directly touch a subway line.
     
     
  #4563  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 12:40 AM
Tlphila Tlphila is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 107
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
Check out brewerytown (west of 27, south of Cecil) or Norris square area
Larry what part of Norris Square do you like, south or north of the park? It seems both sections are serviced by an el stop if I am correct. I know Norris Square Civic has actively held back gentrification in the past, is this still an issue as far as you're concerned? Thanks!
     
     
  #4564  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:07 AM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I don't buy into Powelton/Mantua being anything more than a college kid thing eventually. The neighborhoods that are developing the quickest are all ones that directly touch a subway line.
That's short sighted I think. Powelton Village and Mantua's location are enough to make them a prime neighborhood soon. Being close to Drexel/Penn and Penn Medicine, CHOP, the Science Center and UCity Square and Drexel's Innovation Neighborhood and maybe the eventual capping of the Powelton Yards? This is a TON of investment in the area, and is bound to spill over into Powelton and Mantua as more jobs are added to University City.
     
     
  #4565  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:47 AM
PhilliesPhan's Avatar
PhilliesPhan PhilliesPhan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 1,365
Regarding Philly's next great neighborhood, Strawberry Mansion has my vote. There is currently so much development occurring in Brewerytown, Francisville, along Girard Avenue, etc. Also, if the PHA Sharswood Transformation Project becomes a successful mixed-income community, then Strawberry Mansion will be extraordinarily prime for development. Strawberry Mansion also boasts beautiful Victorian housing stock. Finally, it is right up against Fairmount Park. Some of Philly's greatest revitalization efforts have happened near green spaces. The only downsides to this area are crime, weak retail corridors on Ridge Avenue, and transportation. In the short-term, making the 61 a 24/7 service would go a long way. In the long-term, a subway line under Ridge Avenue from Andorra to at least 8th and Market (current Broad-Ridge Spur) would lead to a sustained revitalization of the area.

As for Powelton Village and Mantua, I'm banking on the prediction that 34th Street will become one of Philly's most expensive streets. When the capping is complete and fully developed upon, 34th Street will take one from the Philly Zoo, to the newly developed area around SEPTA's Powelton Yard and Amtrak's Penn Coach Yard, to Penn's campus.

North Broad is an area that should be receiving DENSE developments. The lots surrounding Spring Garden should receive TOD credits to build tall and dense. Same with area around Girard. The intersection of the BSL and the 15 trolley should absolutely receive some TOD. In Center City, it makes perfect sense to build on the surface parking lots that surround Race-Vine station. As of right now, North Broad between Race-Vine and Susquehanna-Dauphin should come together nicely. Hopefully, development could push to the area around North Philadelphia (BSL, SEPTA, and Amtrak)/North Broad.

Callowhill/Chinatown North is going to EXPLODE pretty soon. With the Reading Viaduct Railpark coming along and Chinatown Eastern Tower coming online soon, I can see a lot of development coming over that way. It would help to construct a new subway station at Noble and Ridge.

I am currently in college with the intention of becoming a real estate developer. As a Philly/Delco native, I have seen neighborhoods rise out of decline to something special. I legitimately care about the city. Strawberry Mansion will probably be the first neighborhood I will try to invest in. I can see my investment yielding high returns.
__________________
No one outsmarts a Fox!

Temple University '18 ']['
     
     
  #4566  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:45 AM
Human Scale's Avatar
Human Scale Human Scale is offline
More of that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post
I also think Grays Ferry has tons of potential. Pennovation is under construction, the new parks along the river, and its prime location close to Center City & University City etc. I drove through the other day, the northern end of the neighborhood is starting to see a flurry of development and construction in Pt. Breeze is almost right up against the 25th St. tracks.
I should have said Point Breeze/Grays Ferry because I was actually thinking of Grays Ferry more so than Point Breeze with the CHOP development. Although I believe Google calls it Devil's Pocket.
     
     
  #4567  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 3:49 AM
Human Scale's Avatar
Human Scale Human Scale is offline
More of that.
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 430
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I don't buy into Powelton/Mantua being anything more than a college kid thing eventually. The neighborhoods that are developing the quickest are all ones that directly touch a subway line.
If I had money to invest, this is where I'd put it. Point Breeze is still a good buy, but my sister just got a place near the Sardine Bar last year for $125,000. Comps now up to $180,000. If you really wanna get THE BIGGEST RETURN by buying dirt cheap and selling sky high, it would be Mantua buy now and sell in the late 2020's.

We, on this forum, and as members of the development/planning communities really should be the front line for property investors.
     
     
  #4568  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:58 AM
hammersklavier's Avatar
hammersklavier hammersklavier is offline
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: The biggest city on earth. Literally
Posts: 5,630
If you're playing the long game, I'd say

-Mantua past the student housing
-Grays Ferry + Forgotten Bottom
-Broad between Temple and its hospital
-East Parkside
-Kingsessing out to 52nd-ish, West Philly south of market out to 54th or so
-upper South Kensington (already development activity along Berks)
-Germantown (I would advise getting in touch with Billy Ross from Philly Speaks for opportunities there)

Right now new construction is concentrated north of Center City for the simple and obvious reason that there's more empty space there. Redevelopment in South Philly and West Philly is more often (occasionally gut) rehabs, vertical additions, demo + replace. The Ridge Avenue corridor is going to be the city's next Interesting Strip after it gets seeded IMO.
__________________
Urban Rambles | Hidden City

‘Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)
     
     
  #4569  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:08 PM
Larry King Larry King is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 976
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post
Larry what part of Norris Square do you like, south or north of the park? It seems both sections are serviced by an el stop if I am correct. I know Norris Square Civic has actively held back gentrification in the past, is this still an issue as far as you're concerned? Thanks!
I like both. South is a bit nicer right now but both are on a big upward trajectory

I wouldn't worry too much about the civic, I don't think they're well capitalized and much of the development in the neighborhood will be construction and rehabs of single family homes which can be done by right without RCO input. Other side of the el is so expensive now, I don't see how it wouldn't spill over. Plus an active civic in the neighborhood is a good thing imo, it's a neighborhood where people care about QOL issues... Between the civic and the councilwoman living there... You have people paying attention to the details that make neighborhoods livable
     
     
  #4570  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:31 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScreamShatter View Post
I don't buy into Powelton/Mantua being anything more than a college kid thing eventually. The neighborhoods that are developing the quickest are all ones that directly touch a subway line.
If University City/uCity Square attract businesses and otherwise take off like they hope, Powelton and Mantua will become some of the city's most desirable neighborhoods. Especially with some capping and development over the railroad tracks. When I next have liquidity, I'll definitely be looking into investment property there.

When work is a 10 minute walk, you don't need a subway. I live in Rittenhouse and again work about 10 minutes away walking (after a brief, miserable period of having to drive to a different job in Wilmington). Aside from Eagles games, I almost never use the subway in this city. Walk or cabs.
     
     
  #4571  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 1:35 PM
jsbrook jsbrook is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Bala Cynwyd
Posts: 3,658
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
If University City/uCity Square attract businesses and otherwise take off like they hope, Powelton and Mantua will become some of the city's most desirable neighborhoods. Especially with some capping and development over the railroad tracks. When I next have liquidity, I'll definitely be looking into investment property there.

When work is a 10 minute walk, you don't need a subway. I live in Rittenhouse and again work about 10 minutes away walking (after a brief, miserable period of having to drive to a different job in Wilmington). Aside from Eagles games, I almost never use the subway in this city. Walk or cabs.
Mantua also has an extremely high number of vacant properties, so it is ripe for prompt and rapid development when the conditions are right.
     
     
  #4572  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:06 PM
FourS FourS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 45
Parkside might be a good bet for the next 10 years too. Big, beautiful Victorian houses right next to the park (like Strawberry Mansion) and proximity to University City (like Mantua). No convenient transit options other than the Girard Trolley, but no where that's currently cheap is perfect.

The area bounded by Market, 40th, 50th, and Walnut is set to explode. There are already a few small projects, but with the new Public Safety headquarters, the new LEED office building at 42nd and Market, three Market-Frankford stops, proximity to Penn/Drexel/Hospitals, and a lot of vacant or underused land, I can see this area going crazy soon. There's a 5 or 6 story LEED apartment building nearing completion at 44th and Ludlow. They just started digging for the new apartment (mixed use?) at 43rd and Sansom. Post Brothers have bought and plan to renovate the Netherlands at 43rd/44th and Chestnut.

I agree with other posters about the potential of many neighborhoods, but they all can't boom at once. Either a handful will boom, or a bunch of them will gradually improve.
     
     
  #4573  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 2:17 PM
FourS FourS is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Posts: 45
A lot of the area located along the El west of 40th is also zoned for growth. I own rowhouse on Ludlow that's zoned CMX4. The 5 1/2 story apartment building they just put up towers over the block and didn't need any approvals or variance (it was by-right). If the Oren Brothers managed to cobble together coherent zoning for the patchwork of lots they've sewn together on the northwest and southwest corners of 44th and Ludlow, they're going to build two massive new buildings. The Spruce Hill NA seems to support it soit might happen. Now all the area needs is more trees.
     
     
  #4574  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 5:33 PM
3rd&Brown 3rd&Brown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tlphila View Post
Larry what part of Norris Square do you like, south or north of the park? It seems both sections are serviced by an el stop if I am correct. I know Norris Square Civic has actively held back gentrification in the past, is this still an issue as far as you're concerned? Thanks!
I like South near the Berks St stop.

I just bid on a house on the 1900 block of N Howard. I think it got 6 bids on the first day. Granted, it was a special house because the person selling it has owned it for over 50 years and it was absolutely in tact, whereas most of the houses around there have been stripped of all character in terms of the interior, to be replaced by things like stick on tile in the living room and popcorn ceilings with glitter.
     
     
  #4575  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 8:51 PM
Arch+Eng's Avatar
Arch+Eng Arch+Eng is offline
Arch. Engineer+Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PHL
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3rd&Brown View Post
..popcorn ceilings with glitter.
Pretty sure that's historic by now.
     
     
  #4576  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:04 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Broad and Callowhill - Hanover North Broad
Two 6 floor buildings - luxury apartments and ground floor retail/commercial

Southeast Corner - excavation has started


Rendering:


http://www.phillymag.com/property/2015/07/06/parkway-corporation-broad-callowhill/


Southwest Corner - lot still open but huge permits are up


Rendering:


http://www.phillymag.com/property/2014/01/28/huge-mixed-use-project-planned-broad-callowhill/
     
     
  #4577  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:05 PM
mmikeyphilly mmikeyphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 769
Big picture warning: Keep your dog away from computer screen, there are trees

I thought there was a thread for this project, but I couldn't locate it.
The Darian?

[/IMG]
__________________
whatever
     
     
  #4578  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:10 PM
Kidphilly Kidphilly is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 923
try Dalian
     
     
  #4579  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:10 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I thought there was a thread for this project, but I couldn't locate it.
The Darian?
There is no thread for the Dalian. Only projects over 12 floors will get their own thread. Everything shorter than 12 will be posted here in the General Developments thread.
     
     
  #4580  
Old Posted Dec 2, 2015, 10:11 PM
summersm343's Avatar
summersm343 summersm343 is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Philadelphia
Posts: 18,474
Dalian on the Park - 22nd and Pennsylvania Ave - 10 floors







     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 10:34 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.