Quote:
Originally Posted by Tacheguy
I had a bit of a role in the funding negotiations around the Portage Place project. I can remember to this day the Manitoba Premier's right hand person showing the drawings and advancing the plan as the salvation for the Bay and Eatons. The thinking at the time was they stood a good chance of both going dark. Not what you would call investing from a position of strength..
Anyways I often wonder what Portage would look like now if that project hadn't gone ahead.
|
Portage Place is a funny thing because, as Andy6 has pointed out, on paper it had absolutely everything. Nearly all of the boxes for awesome urban development were ticked... retail, entertainment, restaurant, office space, attractive open spaces, indoor parking, recreation (YMCA), residential, seniors housing, skywalk connections... you name it, it was there. Yet it still failed.
And what's also strange is that downtown mall retail is in fairly good shape in most Canadian downtowns, including slightly larger centres (Ottawa, Calgary, Edmonton all have thriving downtown malls) and slightly smaller ones too (Saskatoon, Regina, Victoria). Winnipeg is really a bit of an outlier. I mean, back in the early 80s it probably would have been perfectly reasonable to believe that Portage Place would have saved the two big department stores... the downtown malls have basically done that in the 6 other cities that I mentioned.