HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive


The Laurel in the SkyscraperPage Database

• Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

• Map Location
• Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #501  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 4:49 PM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 842
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bariscos View Post
Anyway, I love coming on here and feeling excited about the development, then walking our great city to keep an eye on our future. But when I miss 24 hours of these forums and come back to over 4 pages of debate, I just want to stay off the forums longer.

These are development forums, right? Isn't there a way we can just create a debate board for all you people that love to fight over the "internets" to go quibble and squabble about? I mean, we Philadelphians have few to no buildings like this. And if you want to fight for/against preservation (which I have my opinions on, but won't add to the debate), go to the m-f'ing public meetings.
I love posts like this. This thread is about this proposal, which involves tearing down structures that are currently on site. We're having a respectable discussion about that process. It is absolutely appropriate here and shouldn't be upsetting to you. If you don't like it, there's nothing preventing you from just looking at the pretty pictures and ignoring the words. Alternatively, you could just stay off the forums as you suggest.
     
     
  #502  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:04 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
I love posts like this. This thread is about this proposal, which involves tearing down structures that are currently on site. We're having a respectable discussion about that process. It is absolutely appropriate here and shouldn't be upsetting to you. If you don't like it, there's nothing preventing you from just looking at the pretty pictures and ignoring the words. Alternatively, you could just stay off the forums as you suggest.
Summers or Hammersklavier, you really need to start a thread exclusively for people to post about starting off-topic debate threads so that all these people's posts about needing to have a separate thread for what they view as off-topic debates can post this where it is not off-topic to post it. As it is, they continue to post these off-topic posts about off-topic posts in various project threads like this where their posts are seriously off-topic. Come to think off, this post is also seriously off-topic, which only validates my point, though this is clearly not the thread in which to make such a valid point.

Well regardless, I think we need to start two new Philly forum threads:

One for off-topic posts, and a second thread for arguing that a thread about off-topic posts is necessary. Once the first thread is established, we can archive the second thread as it will no longer be necessary.

. . . wait a minute . . .
     
     
  #503  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:17 PM
Arch+Eng's Avatar
Arch+Eng Arch+Eng is offline
Arch. Engineer+Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PHL
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Summers or Hammersklavier, you really need to start a thread exclusively for people to post about starting off-topic debate threads so that all these people's posts about needing to have a separate thread for what they view as off-topic debates can post this where it is not off-topic to post it. As it is, they continue to post these off-topic posts about off-topic posts in various project threads like this where their posts are seriously off-topic. Come to think off, this post is also seriously off-topic, which only validates my point, though this is clearly not the thread in which to make such a valid point.

Well regardless, I think we need to start two new Philly forum threads:

One for off-topic posts, and a second thread for arguing that a thread about off-topic posts is necessary. Once the first thread is established, we can archive the second thread as it will no longer be necessary.

. . . wait a minute . . .
I think we get the message. Lets all get our 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 out of a bunch and get our height boners back.
     
     
  #504  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:40 PM
allovertown allovertown is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 1,338
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Summers or Hammersklavier, you really need to start a thread exclusively for people to post about starting off-topic debate threads so that all these people's posts about needing to have a separate thread for what they view as off-topic debates can post this where it is not off-topic to post it. As it is, they continue to post these off-topic posts about off-topic posts in various project threads like this where their posts are seriously off-topic. Come to think off, this post is also seriously off-topic, which only validates my point, though this is clearly not the thread in which to make such a valid point.

Well regardless, I think we need to start two new Philly forum threads:

One for off-topic posts, and a second thread for arguing that a thread about off-topic posts is necessary. Once the first thread is established, we can archive the second thread as it will no longer be necessary.

. . . wait a minute . . .
It's a solid plan. Although I suggest we just delete the entire forum and create one big thread where we endlessly debate the chestnut st Wendy's.
     
     
  #505  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:47 PM
Frontst17 Frontst17 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 304
Preserve what they can but BUILD THIS JAWN that lot has been a black eye on rittenhouse for too long. This building is sleek stylish and huge. It's not some trophy commercial tower trying to make a point, it's residential where you say damn I want to live in that. How many of you knew or cared about that funeral home before this? Have you walked around the square at all? The architecture is gorgeous and should be complimented with this. Again preserve what you can they're classic structures, but damn this building is a winner no way around it and people with new money have been screaming for something like this on the park.
     
     
  #506  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:51 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
It's a solid plan. Although I suggest we just delete the entire forum and create one big thread where we endlessly debate the chestnut st Wendy's.
Speaking of Wendy's, when are we going to see the wind-tunnel studies for this proposed tower? I have serious concerns about its potential effect on the windiness of Rittenhouse Square.
     
     
  #507  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:52 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
Speaking of Wendy's, when are we going to see the wind-tunnel studies for this proposed tower? I have serious concerns about its potential effect on the windiness of Rittenhouse Square.
And the shadows. Oh, the shadows.
     
     
  #508  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:55 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
It's a solid plan. Although I suggest we just delete the entire forum and create one big thread where we endlessly debate the chestnut st Wendy's.
Well, I'm sure a Flagship Wendy's will occupy the ground floor retail space facing Walnut to satisfy any equity and inclusiveness concerns about this project that may be aired on SSP.
     
     
  #509  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 6:59 PM
boxbot's Avatar
boxbot boxbot is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Delco., Pa.
Posts: 842
     
     
  #510  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:00 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knight Hospitaller View Post
And the shadows. Oh, the shadows.
As two of the attorneys on this forum, I propose that you and I file a class action on behalf of residents of and visitors to Rittenhouse Square, lovers of sunlight, haters of off-topic posts in project threads, people offended by self-erecting cranes that jack themselves down in public, . . . .
     
     
  #511  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:01 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Perfect!!!

But you forgot the Wendy's thread.
     
     
  #512  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:04 PM
Philly Fan Philly Fan is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 2,538
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Perfect!!!

But you forgot the Wendy's thread.
There's an entire forum for that, containing a BUNCH of threads (for the Wendy's in every city).
     
     
  #513  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:04 PM
MikeNigh MikeNigh is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
Summers can we please move this to the No, YOU Shut Up thread? I don't think we should really be trashing up the Thread to Complain that Posts in the Thread about Starting New Off-topic Threads are Off-topic thread.
     
     
  #514  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:05 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
As two of the attorneys on this forum, I propose that you and I file a class action on behalf of residents of and visitors to Rittenhouse Square, lovers of sunlight, haters of off-topic posts in project threads, people offended by self-erecting cranes that jack themselves down in public, . . . .
I'm sure the solar flares bouncing off the reflective glass on this monster will fry some nearby block's community garden. Those people need representation too.
     
     
  #515  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:06 PM
Cro Burnham's Avatar
Cro Burnham Cro Burnham is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Location: delco
Posts: 2,396
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNigh View Post
Summers can we please move this to the No, YOU Shut Up thread? I don't think we should really be trashing up the Thread to Complain that Posts in the Thread about Starting New Off-topic Threads are Off-topic thread.
No, you shut up! You face.
     
     
  #516  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:08 PM
Arch+Eng's Avatar
Arch+Eng Arch+Eng is offline
Arch. Engineer+Developer
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: PHL
Posts: 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
I'm sure the solar flares bouncing off the reflective glass on this monster will fry some nearby block's community garden. Those people need representation too.
They actual did a shadow study. Don't feel like posting it, but some how this tower has VERY minimal shadow effect on the surrounding community.
     
     
  #517  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:14 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cro Burnham View Post
Well, I'm sure a Flagship Wendy's will occupy the ground floor retail space facing Walnut to satisfy any equity and inclusiveness concerns about this project that may be aired on SSP.
there is already a mcdonalds on walnut and it has ruined that entire shopping corridor as you know. Add a Wendy's and this area becomes a certified ghetto.
     
     
  #518  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:14 PM
skyscraper skyscraper is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 1,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
I think we get the message. Lets all get our 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵 out of a bunch and get our height boners back.
I think we could use some Skyscraper 🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵🞵.
     
     
  #519  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:14 PM
Knight Hospitaller's Avatar
Knight Hospitaller Knight Hospitaller is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Location: Greater Philadelphia
Posts: 2,951
Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
As two of the attorneys on this forum, I propose that you and I file a class action on behalf of residents of and visitors to Rittenhouse Square, lovers of sunlight, haters of off-topic posts in project threads, people offended by self-erecting cranes that jack themselves down in public, . . . .
I guess my wallet is more important that my desire that this be built. Let's do it!
     
     
  #520  
Old Posted Nov 25, 2015, 7:16 PM
1487 1487 is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 3,401
Quote:
Originally Posted by McBane View Post
I don't want to derail this thread but I'd actually argue that Kenney will be just as pro-development as Nutter, if not more. Kenney is very cozy with the unions to whom development = jobs.
I know there has been speculation that this will be the case, but I'm not so sure. I dont think he would have his admin kill a project of this size, but I can see him pushing back more aggressively than the Nutter Admin has when it comes to developers proposing demo of historic buildings. I dont see him having a ton of sympathy for what are perceived to be rich developers (especially an out of town company like SLC) when you think about the themes of his campaign.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 4:20 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.