HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #321  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 3:43 AM
seventwenty's Avatar
seventwenty seventwenty is offline
I took a bus pic, CIRRUS
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Soon to be banned
Posts: 1,697
I really don't think that's going to age well. I liked the more conservative design for y'all.

As a reminder:
Quote:
Originally Posted by airportnoise View Post

I have seen a rendering that show this passage way at concourse level unit it reaches the main terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #322  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:59 AM
Viperlord's Avatar
Viperlord Viperlord is offline
Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 1,900
Wow, that is very unimpressive. I'm very disappointed with the new design concept. They have a chance to do something awesome, and instead they go hospital sterile on us with a sense of fake stimuli on the walls..... major waste of an opportunity.

They've taken a step backwards from where they were.heck, I've seen hospitals that are more inviting and interesting than that new design. That whole non-skid, non-slip bath tub mat texture on the walls isn't doing it for me either...

I'll make it a note to fly out of provo airport before I'll go through the new terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #323  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 12:19 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
I am asking myself if patrons are going to think that the abstract art and light show is a symbol of Salt Lake Metros stunning canyons?? I think it might be more prone to generate a major headache, rather than inspire thoughts of Salt Lake's natural beauty.

I've always felt that most of the new terminals are too cold, sterile and vapid with their materials and palate, including much of Denver's. Though, I do like the mountain peak massing of Denver's main terminal. I thought SLC was taking the right approach with the warm woods and sandstone materials and palate. I wonder what the excuses are for making this complete flip?

Last edited by delts145; Sep 30, 2015 at 12:59 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #324  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 5:03 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
I really like it, the canyon that is. Even the best renderings look bad when it comes to materials or finishes. I don't see why they can't add warmer tones with those woods to the concourse walls. As it appears now it seems cold. Either way, I'm glad they did something bold visually on the inside. People aren't going to forget that terminal!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #325  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 6:18 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Oct 1, 2015 at 6:20 AM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #326  
Old Posted Sep 30, 2015, 9:21 PM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,497
Is it weird that I'm sentimental to the old airport?

While I'm sad to see it be demolished, especially the parking garage for some reason (I've picked up a LOT of people, so it's familiar)...

The new airport terminal is SO ****AWESOME****

It makes it easier to say goodbye to the old airport when I know we're getting a really sweet new one. Plus the spiral ramps on the new garage are a nice homage to the old garage. I love driving way too fast up and down those.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #327  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 6:40 AM
StevenF's Avatar
StevenF StevenF is offline
The Drifter
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 1,172
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I love driving way too fast up and down those.
I am glad I am not the only one that enjoys squealing my tires driving those spirals faster than necessary.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #328  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:16 AM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,770
^^^
Me too!!

...And thanks Sean for posting those renderings. Even though we always have the links, I still like having pics right in my face on the thread. There's something about seeing the visible posted pic that gives the thread a lot more added zing. Also, Salt Lake's Google Image pages are certainly a lot more colorful, interesting and impressive because of our added thread pics over the years.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #329  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 9:33 PM
sunflowerJA's Avatar
sunflowerJA sunflowerJA is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Posts: 18
What I want to know is if they are still including the trax extension up to pickup/drop-off like they had in the original renderings. I think its very important for our light rail to pickup/drop-off people right at the terminals. I remember it being included in the new viaduct on the previous renderings. I hope they didnt change that!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #330  
Old Posted Oct 1, 2015, 11:04 PM
downtownslcresident downtownslcresident is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflowerJA View Post
What I want to know is if they are still including the trax extension up to pickup/drop-off like they had in the original renderings. I think its very important for our light rail to pickup/drop-off people right at the terminals. I remember it being included in the new viaduct on the previous renderings. I hope they didnt change that!
i have a suspicion that they simply left it out of the renderings because its something that will now have to be designed by UTA as a seperate project. Since these designs have slight modifications form the original plans, UTA might now need to modify their plans, or make actual plans for the station. So I am sure they were just left out of the renderings is all.

They definitely still plan to build the station. If you read through some of the articles and the descriptions, there are spots where it specifies that the trax station will be next to the rental car hall and skywalks to the terminal.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #331  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 12:37 AM
i-215's Avatar
i-215 i-215 is offline
Exit 298
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Inland Empire (CA)
Posts: 3,497
I'm stoked that we'll see it taking shape in under five years. I mean, remember when we dreamed about City Creek's future ten years into the future? The airport is gonna go fast, imo.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #332  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 6:10 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by i-215 View Post
I'm stoked that we'll see it taking shape in under five years. I mean, remember when we dreamed about City Creek's future ten years into the future? The airport is gonna go fast, imo.
I'm excited too. The architecture choices under Becker haven't been "stunning"; they haven't been offensive either. Usually the word you'd use for them is "nice". We have a nice new public safety building that looks nice and is nice to the environment. We are going to have a nice Eccles Theatre and a nice class a skyscraper.

I'm not including the Federal Courthouse in his tenure (perhaps mistakenly so?) because I don't think the city had much of a say regarding the architect or design aside from landscaping choices.

I'm very provincial, thoughtful but not a genius; when we build big public funded buildings I want them to be something that is visually stunning and something that makes no bones about trying to be visually stunning. For those I've shown around the city, I love taking them to the interior of the LDS Conference Center, the Utah Natural History Museum, The main indoor area of the Salt Lake City Library. I love seeing people's reactions! Kind of like when Doctor Who shows people inside the TARDIS for the first time. I didn't start out loving the Federal Courthouse and now I do because it's just fun to have something so bold to talk about. Our historical structures like the Capital, the City and County Building, the Cathedral, and the Temple are all favorites of mine for the same reason.

When we first saw the renderings of the airport a little over a year or so ago, I was let down because I thought it would be another "nice" building. Like people who would have talked about it would have said, "I flew through SLC Int., it's a nice airport." Denver is my favorite airport because of its layout and it's a really intense visual experience with the tent roof over the terminal. I've loved it since I first saw it at age 9 and I still feel excited like I'm a kid whenever I see it in person.

For me the canyon of this new airport, which is supposed to invoke a feeling of the area's close proximity to rigid rock canyons and mountain sides, is a home run. It's inspired like the tents on DIA representing the mountains and the aboriginal teepees. It's not on the same scale in mass as Denver, but it's scaled perfectly for the new airport and it's going to engage every person who passes through that terminal in a really assertive way.

On a walking tour the new Public Safety Building and Eccles Theatre will be worth walking by because they're nice buildings. The Salt Lake International Airport will be worth walking through!

Last edited by s.p.hansen; Oct 2, 2015 at 6:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #333  
Old Posted Oct 2, 2015, 10:54 PM
airhero airhero is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 968
I reached out to the airport...people...to express some thoughts about the fly through videos and this is the response I received:

Quote:
Hi Romeo,

Thanks for the email and for reaching out to us on our terminal redevelopment! We’re glad to hear you’re excited about some of the design concepts so far.

We do want to stress that the fly through videos do not necessarily indicate the materials, colors and tones that will be used in the final design. In fact, many of the materials and colors have yet to be finalized. The fly through is merely meant to give the public a general sense of space, scale and major design elements.

In 2013, we conducted outreach to get public input on the new terminal and one thing we heard loud and clear is that Utahns want a greater sense of place in their home airport. Our goal is to bring the beauty of Utah into the facility and color and material is one major way we will be accomplishing that. So we hope you’ll continue to follow us as we reveal more and more about what the future facility will look like.

On that note, I would urge you to sign up for our email updates on the terminal redevelopment plan, as it is a great way to stay in the loop! Or follow us on Facebook, Instagram or Twitter.

I hope this information is helpful and that you have a great weekend.

Sincerely,


Bianca Shreeve
I remain hopeful that there still remains a chance that the airport white out is not the final product and the wood and copper tones are still a possibility...sooo, I'm crossing my fingers.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #334  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 8:43 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Apparently Salt Lake International is capable of landing and taking off a fully loaded A380. A flight from LA to Paris was diverted after a bomb threat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/17/reports-two-air-france-flights-diverted/75970348/

What would be the purpose of extending the runways as it was proposed in the master plan? I seriously doubt that anything bigger and heavier than an A380 will come about in the next few decades. Even then, the airport will only handle the occasional 777 or 747 in the near future.

My question is, why extend the runways?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #335  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 8:49 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
But hey, despite the bad reasons behind the landing, this is the first time an A380 has landed in SLC!!!

In your face Denver. Unless I'm mistaken, we got the A380 first... ...Kinda.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #336  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 10:20 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
If I'm not mistaken they need a bit more length in order to accommodate the larger planes on a regular basis including during inclement weather conditions, where it may require more stopping distance.

Can anyone confirm this?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #337  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 11:55 PM
Makid Makid is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasatch Wasteland View Post
Apparently Salt Lake International is capable of landing and taking off a fully loaded A380. A flight from LA to Paris was diverted after a bomb threat.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2015/11/17/reports-two-air-france-flights-diverted/75970348/

What would be the purpose of extending the runways as it was proposed in the master plan? I seriously doubt that anything bigger and heavier than an A380 will come about in the next few decades. Even then, the airport will only handle the occasional 777 or 747 in the near future.

My question is, why extend the runways?
KSL had a write up about this as well:

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=37418672&nid=148...ional-for-logistic-reasons&s_cid=queue-1

Quote:
"Salt Lake City was in the vicinity of where they were, and the runway is big enough," said airport spokeswoman Bianca Shreeve.

Because Salt Lake City is a hub for Delta Airlines, an Air France partner, it provided alternate travel options for passengers in case they needed them, Shreeve said.
I think the issue with the runway is that some older planes need longer runways during certain times of the year to do the longer trips. This is why the Asian flights were seasonal. I think this is the same reason for the Amsterdam flight being seasonal (unless that has changed).

SLC can only handle a few of the larger newer planes with the current gate configuration. That is the main reason behind the redevelopment of the airport. Once it is complete, I would expect to see more of the larger planes as they would be more economical on the longer international flights.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #338  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 3:22 PM
justiny justiny is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Reno, NV
Posts: 154
Salt Lake City International Airport has two runways both over 12,000 feet. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (the busiest in the world) has only one runway over 10,000 feet in length.

I don't know why it's so shocking for some to realize that SLC is capable of landing an Airbus A380, as SLC is a joint military-civilian international airport that routinely rotates Lockheed C-5 Galaxy military cargo jets, which are amongst the largest aircraft in the world.

It is true that SLC is lacking some airport operations (more specifically, a jet bridge) that do not accommodate an A380 comfortably, however the length of the runways can accept and deploy any aircraft, regardless of size, so long as the environmental factors are favorable.

Elko Regional Airport in Nevada hosted Air Force One (a Boeing 747-200B series aircraft) in 2006. That runway is listed at only 7,200 feet in length.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #339  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 7:46 PM
San Diego-Honolulu San Diego-Honolulu is offline
BANNED
 
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 186
Some good news for SLC. Air Canada will resume nonstop Salt Lake City to Toronto flights with daily service beginning May 27, 2016 using an E90 aircraft.

http://aircanada.mediaroom.com/index.php?s=43&item=950

It's good to see an international airline back in SLC. Other airports out west such as SJC, PDX, SEA, have seen a major rise in international carriers serving their airports while SLC has only seen international flights added by Delta. Hopefully this is the beginning of other international airlines looking to serve SLC such as WestJet, Volaris, Icelandair, Aeromexico, Condor, and Lufthansa.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #340  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:41 PM
Wasatch Wasteland's Avatar
Wasatch Wasteland Wasatch Wasteland is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by justiny View Post
Salt Lake City International Airport has two runways both over 12,000 feet. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (the busiest in the world) has only one runway over 10,000 feet in length.

I don't know why it's so shocking for some to realize that SLC is capable of landing an Airbus A380, as SLC is a joint military-civilian international airport that routinely rotates Lockheed C-5 Galaxy military cargo jets, which are amongst the largest aircraft in the world.

It is true that SLC is lacking some airport operations (more specifically, a jet bridge) that do not accommodate an A380 comfortably, however the length of the runways can accept and deploy any aircraft, regardless of size, so long as the environmental factors are favorable.

Elko Regional Airport in Nevada hosted Air Force One (a Boeing 747-200B series aircraft) in 2006. That runway is listed at only 7,200 feet in length.
The reason people are "shocked" as you say is because it supposedly DOES take a much longer runway to land an A380 at this altitude. We are nearly a mile above Atlanta, and at times have much more sever weather, especially in winter. The higher you go, the thinner the air gets, and the longer the runway needs to be. At least this is what people say.

I'm just confused. An A380 landed comfortably at SLC, (yes we do not have the support facilities, but we still landed the monster) and the airport wants to extend the runways to 15,000 feet. If your reasoning is true, what would be the purpose of lengthening?
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:23 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.