HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #881  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 2:47 PM
wrendog's Avatar
wrendog wrendog is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: San Antonio TX
Posts: 4,283
Quote:
Originally Posted by delts145 View Post
Great pics Mike! Wow, the additions of 151, The Regent Hotel, and the CCH, are going to do wonders for the skyline from this vantage.


Pic By Highrise Mike
Don't forget the AUC too. 4 more towers over 300 feet are going to do wonders here in the next couple of years.

We just need a 500 footer to mix it up!

Photoshoppers! Put the 4 new towers in some of those awesome skyline pics! I wanna see!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #882  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 10:17 PM
ToysNoiz's Avatar
ToysNoiz ToysNoiz is offline
Destroy 200 S. Carl's Jr.
 
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Salt Lake City, Utah
Posts: 745
Love the view of the skyline from the west. From the east, most of our mid-rises are obscured. 111 is making a dent in height; I really wish it looked more interesting.
__________________
'Cause at night the sun in retreat made the skyline look like crooked teeth in the mouth of a man, who was devouring us both...

Salt Lake City throughout 2015 in the My City Photos Forum >>>http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=215244
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #883  
Old Posted Oct 26, 2015, 11:11 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,754
I wonder though ToyNoiz. We could be pleasantly surprised by that crown. I'm thinking that the unique structural lattice design on the 111 crown will make for an interesting and very attractive visual, especially if by night it's back lit with a little imagination. Even by day, if it's translucent. I agree though, that we need to start adding some 🞵🞵🞵🞵 curvature to our towers. I see where Denver's proposed upcoming tower is going to be designed in that sexier direction. I know here in L.A. the Marriott CCH was a welcome change, and the upcoming curved Wilshire Grand will really add some bling to the L.A. skyline. I like Salt Lake's skyline, and its new additions, but it's time to start dispersing some imaginative 🞵🞵🞵🞵 curves throughout the buildup.

A city/metro like Salt Lake, with it's unusually lavish backdrops needs a CBD skyline that attracts attention. Having an impressive architectural array of towers, along with a spectacular unequaled mountain backdrop for a major CSA would really make its presence undeniable.

Last edited by delts145; Oct 26, 2015 at 11:38 PM.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #884  
Old Posted Oct 27, 2015, 3:46 AM
Highrise_Mike's Avatar
Highrise_Mike Highrise_Mike is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: SoJo, UT
Posts: 232
I'm thinking once the crown is done, 111 will be looking much better. I do agree though that our skyline needs some curves, something that draws attention and interest. Also I would love to see how the other towers coming would look in the skyline!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #885  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 12:15 PM
delts145's Avatar
delts145 delts145 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Downtown Los Angeles
Posts: 20,754
October 31st
Quote:
Originally Posted by timpdx View Post
From earlier today in my visit to SLC (nice looking tower you guys have going)

From the Airplane







.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #886  
Old Posted Nov 14, 2015, 6:18 AM
AllOutOfBubbleGum's Avatar
AllOutOfBubbleGum AllOutOfBubbleGum is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: West Jordan
Posts: 303


Just a wide shot
__________________
"Oh, now we see the violence in the system"
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #887  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 12:50 PM
EPdesign EPdesign is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 865
The steel structure they are building for the support on top of the building is impressive. Someone with a good camera should snap a photo...or several. Engineering at its finest
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #888  
Old Posted Nov 16, 2015, 6:25 PM
Dallas Snob Dallas Snob is offline
Verticle
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 319
This is Salt Lake's Day IN THE SUN! Things are starting to really happen for this often overlooked metropolis. More development has happened in the city in the past 5 years than in all years since 1975. It reminds me of the spurt in the skyline that happened in Denver in the 80's prior to the really big super growth that followed shortly after. If I recall correctly Denver's buildings were all in the 20-30 range then as well. and then BOOM! But I have to admit, SLC's skyline is FAR better than Denver's will ever be. There's something about it that is just so pleasing to look at. Here in Dallas we have had 30 some-odd buildings go up in Uptown (adjacent to downtown) over the past 3 years...all in the 20+ range...and roughly 20 more going up...and I think SLC outshines them all. Keep that engine of yours glowing RED HOT!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #889  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 4:49 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
I'm with you on that one Dallas Snob, I think we are just seeing the tip of the iceberg with new buildings. It seems as if Salt Lake City is hitting a critical mass and we are just going to continue to see more high rise construction. With Urban Air, (sorry I forget the new name), 151 and CCH either announced or in the works, mix in Cascade (yes it's only 19 floors, but still significant) and potentially a second convention related hotel, we could easily see five new buildings rising in just the next couple of years. With on of those (CCH) possibly being a new tallest.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #890  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 9:14 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas Snob View Post
This is Salt Lake's Day IN THE SUN! Things are starting to really happen for this often overlooked metropolis. More development has happened in the city in the past 5 years than in all years since 1975. It reminds me of the spurt in the skyline that happened in Denver in the 80's prior to the really big super growth that followed shortly after. If I recall correctly Denver's buildings were all in the 20-30 range then as well. and then BOOM! But I have to admit, SLC's skyline is FAR better than Denver's will ever be. There's something about it that is just so pleasing to look at. Here in Dallas we have had 30 some-odd buildings go up in Uptown (adjacent to downtown) over the past 3 years...all in the 20+ range...and roughly 20 more going up...and I think SLC outshines them all. Keep that engine of yours glowing RED HOT!
Strange mathematics going on here.
I'll agree that SLC looks better, but only if you're looking from the Northeast, with the mountain range as a backdrop. But then, the focus is really the mountains. It's like the so-so looking girl with big ones.
Strictly citywise, there's no comparison between SLC and these other larger places. I wish there was.
Or was this a cryptic letter from a spurned lover?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #891  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 11:33 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #892  
Old Posted Nov 17, 2015, 11:38 PM
Dallas Snob Dallas Snob is offline
Verticle
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: West Palm Beach, Florida
Posts: 319
Awe, I never intended apples to apples comparisons here. If you took it that way, then the point is being missed completely. In Dallas we can put up 40 towers a year but that doesn't necessarily make it stunning from a skyline perspective...just big...and the sprawl is unlike anything you've ever seen. And yes, I recall Denver's puny skyline in the 80's. I have pics of it. You'd see the comparisons immediately. I have no idea what the population of Denver was though in the early 80's. Would be interesting to make the comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bflatflat9 View Post
Strange mathematics going on here.
I'll agree that SLC looks better, but only if you're looking from the Northeast, with the mountain range as a backdrop. But then, the focus is really the mountains. It's like the so-so looking girl with big ones.
Strictly citywise, there's no comparison between SLC and these other larger places. I wish there was.
Or was this a cryptic letter from a spurned lover?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #893  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 5:09 PM
s.p.hansen's Avatar
s.p.hansen s.p.hansen is offline
Exurb Enjoyer
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: The Great Salt Lake, Utah
Posts: 2,261



Reply With Quote
     
     
  #894  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 6:38 PM
DCRes's Avatar
DCRes DCRes is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 746
Cool shots, thanks!

That structure on the top is looking more and more impressive
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #895  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:51 PM
Orlando's Avatar
Orlando Orlando is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,132
Great photos! I like the height of 111, but, man, it is boring in form and expressiveness.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #896  
Old Posted Nov 24, 2015, 7:59 PM
jedikermit's Avatar
jedikermit jedikermit is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 2,259
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando View Post
Great photos! I like the height of 111, but, man, it is boring in form and expressiveness.
It is in person, too.
__________________
Loving Salt Lake City. Despite everything, and because of everything.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #897  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 5:43 PM
HellToSell's Avatar
HellToSell HellToSell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Highland, UT
Posts: 17
Sigh, Alas, this is why I still wish they were going with the original Accordion-Style facade. It would have given the building a little pizazz, even for a big rectangle. :/
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #898  
Old Posted Nov 26, 2015, 10:21 PM
bflatflat9 bflatflat9 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Salt Lake City
Posts: 308
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellToSell View Post
Sigh, Alas, this is why I still wish they were going with the original Accordion-Style facade. It would have given the building a little pizazz, even for a big rectangle. :/
Exactly. The original renderings looked way similar to 350 Mission in S.F.; Awesome building. Value engineering won out.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #899  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:37 PM
brankrom's Avatar
brankrom brankrom is offline
Transit Advocate
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Liberty Wells-- SLC
Posts: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by s.p.hansen View Post
God I hate that regent street parking garage in the center of this photo. I can see it from my office too. continually hear about the suburbanites coming in to downtown bitching about parking there are dozens of parking structures that sit largely empty most days. Social Hall, Regent, Galivan, Walker, Wells Fargo, numerous surface lots there's piles of places to park SOVs. The Regent Hotel will partially block the Regent Street garage eye sore from my view but this view along State will be marred by our monuments to suburban sprawl that take up dozens of prime downtown acres.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #900  
Old Posted Nov 30, 2015, 7:56 PM
Future Mayor's Avatar
Future Mayor Future Mayor is offline
Vote for me in 2019!
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Posts: 4,803
Quote:
Originally Posted by brankrom View Post
God I hate that regent street parking garage in the center of this photo. I can see it from my office too. continually hear about the suburbanites coming in to downtown bitching about parking there are dozens of parking structures that sit largely empty most days. Social Hall, Regent, Galivan, Walker, Wells Fargo, numerous surface lots there's piles of places to park SOVs. The Regent Hotel will partially block the Regent Street garage eye sore from my view but this view along State will be marred by our monuments to suburban sprawl that take up dozens of prime downtown acres.
I agree, that garage is HIDEOUS, and I also agree about how dumb the burbanites are about parking. Just because it isn't right in front of their face like a Wallyworld parking lot they don't think it exists. If all the streets were lined with parking lots, many are, there wouldn't be anything to do in downtown and they wouldn't be coming down in the first place. The other thing that I sometimes find amusing/frustrating is when city residents complain about how Mayor ....... built all these garages during their respective administrations and are shocked when I tell them that the city doesn't own any of the downtown garages, unlike many cities across the country. I guess in essence the administration built them, due to parking requirements. I do like how so many new things are being built without onsite garages, because there is already plenty of parking in the area and the new tenants can simply use those. ie, 111, using Regent Garage and City Creek.

I'm guessing if the Regent Hotel will partially block your view of the garage that the redevelopment of Carl's Jr would also.

Unfortunately the only thing that could block the view from the above angle is the tower adjacent to Harmon's. The former "Clicks" building if redeveloped, could block the north facade and a tiny sliver on the east from that angle but the only other possibility is if the Federal Reserve ever decided to relocate, which I doubt they will.
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 3:41 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.