Quote:
Originally Posted by combusean
Minor nitpick:
A tech company expanding here and not hiring engineers isn't evolution of the local tech sector. People think having Yelp and Uber and Paypal and other Bay Area tech companies opening backoffices here speaks of some resilience of Phoenix and tech, but it's not tech. The "tech" part of those tech companies remains in the Bay Area and probably always will. Phoenix is just not a strong open-source market unlike the Bay Area, and almost all of the web startups I've seen in Phoenix are using Windows which has difficulty approaching web scale for anything serious.
If Phoenix had a decent tech job market, I wouldn't have had to leave the region. To that end, I'm certain my current job title and responsibilities don't even exist in the Phoenix area.
|
Well of course, software engineering has and will always be primarily in the Bay, Boston, and to a lesser extent Dallas (now Austin as well).
There really aren't any major markets outside of those three/four cities for software developers. Just the way it is. I wouldn't discount though the fact that these companies are putting major presences in Phoenix for other functions.
I am please to see Uber and now Gainsight both downtown Phoenix, rather than some office park in the east valley. That will help them to attrach more of the younger, skilled talent they seek.