Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
Nothing of what I was wanting to see but it does give me renewed respect for those who have the know-how and patience to put such a creation together.
|
Thank you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
The article although interesting isn't particularly relevant to Denver except for the part quoted. I believe it's called an "Activity Fee" which RTD will also pay and would be lined out in the Operating and Maintenance Agreement which I can not find. The point though is that it appears that the private investment is paid back as an accelerated fee in the agreement over what looks to be 15 years in Vancouver.
|
What activity fee are you talking about? And what accelerated fee are you seeing? I am not sure you're reading it right.
If you PM me, I can see if I can track down the O&M agreement. RTD isn't a party, though, so it might not be public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
It appears that due to the creative deal-making that Macquarie set up including a double closing allowed RTD to only capitalize $2.1 billion. Rest assured that there's at least another $450 million in costs which I'll presume RTD will also have to pay on an accelerated term.
|
Staggered closings are standard practice, even without a fancy P3.
RTD will almost certainly not be subject to an accelerated term, or additional costs (where are you getting $450 million more?), that's not how these work. Look at the attachments, the Construction Payments and the Service Payments. That should be all RTD pays, though I confess to not being familiar with this transaction. I'll confirm, but acceleration is basically unheard of without a termination.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive
That creativity was used to define and structure things is fine but one way or another it all will need to be paid.
|
Not necessarily, be careful what you assume. Read Attachment 11 as well. RTD is not at risk for increases in costs - their annual payments are largely known. The Canada article seems confused - I am not intimately familiar with that project either, but it's either bad reporting or a strangely structured procurement. Not knowing the structure of their operating payments, this part stood out to me: "Despite the fact that the Canada line will soon meet its required ridership to fulfill the contract it made with InTransit, the government will have to subsidize the project to a tune of C$14 to C$21 million a year — until at least 2025. That money will go to pay off the C$700 million put in by the private side of the exchange."
It would be surprising if there was no annual operating payment assumed - no concessionaire farebox risk either. We can do toll risk for highways (US36), but it won't work for I-70, and private fare risk most certainly wouldn't work for any transit project here. Maybe in Canada... Instead, the concessionaire here will be guaranteed an annual payment, which will go up each year. It'll almost certainly be more than the agencies would pay if maintaining it on their own, but that's simply due to the fact that we do a piss poor job of maintaining infrastructure. When we require a private entity to maintain to a higher standard, we take away our ability to choose to underfund maintenance in any given year. Open to debate whether that's good or bad, I suppose.