HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth


Reply

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #561  
Old Posted Oct 25, 2015, 3:57 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #562  
Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 10:15 PM
ScovaNotian ScovaNotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 242
With some of the glass and stone cladding up, I find the brick to be the best part of this building. Is everything else going to be black?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #563  
Old Posted Nov 7, 2015, 12:04 AM
fenwick16 fenwick16 is offline
Honored Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto area (ex-Nova Scotian)
Posts: 5,558
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
https://36.media.tumblr.com/3b1a44b04de04c48540172a6e350cc07/tumblr_nwrzbbr5Hm1sk8kjeo1_1280.jpg

Is the paved parking lot in the forefront, the site of the future IDEA building?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #564  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 5:01 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
Quote:
Originally Posted by fenwick16 View Post
Is the paved parking lot in the forefront, the site of the future IDEA building?
No, the idea building will hug up against the current engineering building that is out of the frame of this one. Dal does however own the two parking lots that are visible. Not sure what their plans are but I believe the 3rd sister site that they recently acquired has some sort of timeline built into the sale agreement.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #565  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 5:20 PM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
With some of the glass and stone cladding up, I find the brick to be the best part of this building. Is everything else going to be black?
The brick and the black stone panels really do not work well together. This thing is a mess.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #566  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 8:27 PM
Drybrain Drybrain is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The brick and the black stone panels really do not work well together. This thing is a mess.
I concur. It's pretty terrible. The juxtaposition with the library sure ain't helping, either.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #567  
Old Posted Nov 8, 2015, 11:58 PM
terrynorthend terrynorthend is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,221
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drybrain View Post
I concur. It's pretty terrible. The juxtaposition with the library sure ain't helping, either.
Yeah, the library in general looks 🞵🞵🞵🞵-ugly from the back. (pun intended)
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #568  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:36 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
The brick and the black stone panels really do not work well together. This thing is a mess.
It is hard to tell from the photos which parts are finished and which parts are under construction. I wasn't sure if the black stuff was exterior cladding or some underlying material that will be covered up.

The rendering suggest that the black sections will eventually be clad in grey stone or precast material, but it's possible that they just changed the design:


Source


I am not a huge fan of the rendering, and it's not clear how much the final product will look like the image above. In the rendering it looks like the upper floors are mostly glass but from the construction it's clear that windows make up only a small part. Maybe there will be some kind of glass or spandrel that makes it look like there windows are bigger than they are.

There are also some nice aspects to the design. The ground level is decent, with big windows and awnings. This building seamlessly connects the commercial buildings around Spring Garden Road with the residential buildings farther south along Queen, where previously there was a small wasteland that was unappealing to pedestrians.

I think the Margaretta, if they both end up being roughly proportional to the renderings design-quality-wise, will be an improvement over this one.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #569  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:39 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Yeah I assumed the black was just insulation or something.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #570  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 12:44 AM
Hali87 Hali87 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Calgary
Posts: 4,465
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
It is hard to tell from the photos which parts are finished and which parts are under construction. I wasn't sure if the black stuff was exterior cladding or some underlying material that will be covered up.

The rendering suggest that the black sections will eventually be clad in grey stone or precast material, but it's possible that they just changed the design:


Source


I am not a huge fan of the rendering, and it's not clear how much the final product will look like the image above. In the rendering it looks like the upper floors are mostly glass but from the construction it's clear that windows make up only a small part. Maybe there will be some kind of glass or spandrel that makes it look like there windows are bigger than they are.

There are also some nice aspects to the design. The ground level is decent, with big windows and awnings.

I think the Margaretta, if they both end up being roughly proportional to the renderings design-quality-wise, will be an improvement over this one.
Honestly I found the design pretty cutting-edge when it was first proposed, but it's already starting to look a bit dated (it looks "very 2010" somehow). I guess a lot has changed in the last couple years!
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #571  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 1:17 AM
Drybrain Drybrain is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Posts: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrynorthend View Post
Yeah, the library in general looks 🞵🞵🞵🞵-ugly from the back. (pun intended)
Oh, ha, I was thinking more that the library is so obviously a better building that it makes this one look even worse by comparison. The library's best side is the front view, though.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #572  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 2:42 AM
someone123's Avatar
someone123 someone123 is online now
hähnchenbrüstfiletstüc
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 35,975
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Yeah I assumed the black was just insulation or something.
Looking at it up close on Google Streetview it is clearly some kind of membrane that will be covered in another material.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hali87 View Post
Honestly I found the design pretty cutting-edge when it was first proposed, but it's already starting to look a bit dated (it looks "very 2010" somehow). I guess a lot has changed in the last couple years!
Yes, I thought this was better than average when it first appeared. This would have been way better than average 10-15 years ago.

The projects remind me of some old maps I did for SSP around 2005, showing what would be built where. When I posted them people (from Halifax and other cities) said that there were way too many projects, there wouldn't be enough demand for them, and they wouldn't be built. I'm not sure I have it anymore but I might repost it if I find it. It looks really quaint by today's standards. There were no Nova Centre type proposals, that's for sure.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #573  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 4:48 AM
Colin May Colin May is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,575
I counted all the projects mentioned in The Coast :
http://www.thecoast.ca/halifax/welcome-to-halifaxs-new-condo-market/Content?oid=4682532
Total : 4,600 (not including King's Wharf )
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #574  
Old Posted Nov 9, 2015, 11:11 AM
ScovaNotian ScovaNotian is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Halifax
Posts: 242
Quote:
Originally Posted by someone123 View Post
Looking at it up close on Google Streetview it is clearly some kind of membrane that will be covered in another material.
It is for the most part, but there are some black stone panels up on the Birmingham side. There are just a few so far, so maybe they will end up exchanging those.
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #575  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 12:43 PM
IanWatson IanWatson is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 1,424
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScovaNotian View Post
It is for the most part, but there are some black stone panels up on the Birmingham side. There are just a few so far, so maybe they will end up exchanging those.
I walked by this project last night and can confirm that all of the black on the building is just a membrane that will eventually be hidden. They've now put blue membrane around all of the corners so it makes it much more clear that the black will be hidden. So that's good!

Not so good is that they've now installed lime green glass...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #576  
Old Posted Nov 18, 2015, 4:21 PM
ILoveHalifax ILoveHalifax is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Palm Beach Gardens FL
Posts: 1,073
WOW!!
Lime green glass sounds exciting - can hardly wait to see a pic
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #577  
Old Posted Nov 19, 2015, 10:54 PM
Jonovision's Avatar
Jonovision Jonovision is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 5,053
I don't know if I would call it exciting. This one is such a mish mash of styles. I will hold my final judgement until it is closer to completion.







Reply With Quote
     
     
  #578  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 12:03 AM
Keith P.'s Avatar
Keith P. Keith P. is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8,890
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonovision View Post
I don't know if I would call it exciting. This one is such a mish mash of styles. I will hold my final judgement until it is closer to completion.


Between the finishes on the building and that vintage Chrysler LeBaron, are we sure we haven't teleported back to 1989?
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #579  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:02 PM
eastcoastal eastcoastal is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 1,414
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Between the finishes on the building and that vintage Chrysler LeBaron, are we sure we haven't teleported back to 1989?
LOL

This building does not exactly reflect the restrained hand of someone confident with what they are doing. For some reason, it strikes me as desperate...
Reply With Quote
     
     
  #580  
Old Posted Nov 20, 2015, 4:36 PM
OldDartmouthMark OldDartmouthMark is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 10,511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith P. View Post
Between the finishes on the building and that vintage Chrysler LeBaron, are we sure we haven't teleported back to 1989?


Technically, though, I believe that is a Fifth Avenue (yeah, they really named a car that!).



http://www.oldcarbrochures.com/static/NA...sler_Fifth_Avenue_Brochure/dirindex.html
Reply With Quote
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
Reply

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > Halifax > Halifax Peninsula & Downtown Dartmouth
Forum Jump



Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:46 AM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2026, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.